Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sudden back pain in 9yr old
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:49 pm
My DD9 is the dramatic type. She has anxiety and is very sensitive always has a host of pains, so it’s hard to differentiate when it’s a real concern or just a call for TLC. Tonight before she went to bed we were schmoozing and all of sudden she cried out in pain. Apparently her lower back started hurting suddenly out of no where. It’s now an hour later…she had Advil, lots of tlc, and I carried her to bed eventually. She’s wide awake and keeps saying “ow” and moaning. She cried on my lap for a long while but no tears came out, so I do feel there is some reality and some drama here.

She is the active type, and definitely was running around, on monkey bars, and doing gymnastics all day. But nothing hurt until bedtime.

At what point do I actually get worried and call the doctor? Any idea what this can be??

renslet

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:01 pm
Could be a uti

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:12 pm
Interesting. Do you think there would be any other symptoms?

I was wondering if it could be constipation related, because she does struggle with that at times. But she told me she went to the bathroom recently and was fine…

oneofakind

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:15 pm
Did she bump into something? Is there bruising? Otherwise, Alternate ice and heat on the back. If it's not better by tomorrow I'd go to the doctor.

renslet

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:15 pm
When I have gone to the Dr with UTI, it's usually one of the first questions. "Do you have lower back pain?".
I have no idea if there would be more symptoms, I also don't know if it would be so sudden.
There are times that one symptom will show up and nothing else. My son had a slight fever for three nights, only at night. Not even sure why I went to the Dr. He had pneumonia.
Back pain could be muscular or connected to the kidneys

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:17 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Did she bump into something? Is there bruising? Otherwise, Alternate ice and heat on the back. If it's not better by tomorrow I'd go to the doctor.

She didn’t specifically bump it but she is very active. Half hour before it started hurting she was doing gymnastics. I would think a pulled muscle or similar, but she didn’t have any pain for a little while.
Nothing noticeable on her back, she said it hurt more when I gently pressed the area.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:18 pm
renslet wrote:
When I have gone to the Dr with UTI, it's usually one of the first questions. "Do you have lower back pain?".
I have no idea if there would be more symptoms, I also don't know if it would be so sudden.
There are times that one symptom will show up and nothing else. My son had a slight fever for three nights, only at night. Not even sure why I went to the Dr. He had pneumonia.
Back pain could be muscular or connected to the kidneys

Got it. I checked for a fever also, but there was none. She finally fell asleep, I’m hoping she will be a lot better in the morning. If not I’ll call the doctor…

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting. Do you think there would be any other symptoms?

I was wondering if it could be constipation related, because she does struggle with that at times. But she told me she went to the bathroom recently and was fine…

I'd assume it's constipation, back pain is common for that. Even if she went to the bathroom doesn't mean she's not blocked further up. Treat her for constipation.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:46 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
I'd assume it's constipation, back pain is common for that. Even if she went to the bathroom doesn't mean she's not blocked further up. Treat her for constipation.

I’ll offer her miralax in the morning. We do that when it gets bad (she has an appointment by a GI in the next few weeks!).

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:50 pm
let her soak in tub with warm/hot water and then put ice on it and see how it feels after. Could be muscle strain, muscle pull, sore muscle.

If that doesn't work take her to a dr. she might need some physical therapy.

Also, check her for scoliosis that can cause back pain as well.

She could also be getting her period which can cause back pain.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:05 pm
Either uti or pulled a muscle

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:08 pm
As someone who has severe medical anxiety… please get your kid to a therapist. Work through the issues. 25+ years later I’m still working through it. Have a pain and need to remember it’s not a tumor. Please please get her help and don’t just poo poo it. Will be years of suffering.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:12 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
let her soak in tub with warm/hot water and then put ice on it and see how it feels after. Could be muscle strain, muscle pull, sore muscle.

If that doesn't work take her to a dr. she might need some physical therapy.

Also, check her for scoliosis that can cause back pain as well.

She could also be getting her period which can cause back pain.

She happened to have a bath right before. I offered her ice but she never likes it and said no.

She had a well visit recently and was screened for scoliosis, bH no issue.

Omg I hope no period yet!! She’s so young and immature (behaviorally and physically)…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:14 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
As someone who has severe medical anxiety… please get your kid to a therapist. Work through the issues. 25+ years later I’m still working through it. Have a pain and need to remember it’s not a tumor. Please please get her help and don’t just poo poo it. Will be years of suffering.

She’s in therapy for anxiety, not only medical related…

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:14 pm
May be gas pain.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:15 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Either uti or pulled a muscle

Would a pulled muscle make sense if she was moving a lot a half hour before, took a bath, and then schmoozed for a while before feeling anything?

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:33 am
OP how is your daughter?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:29 pm
Thanks for checking in!

So she’s been very funny abt it. Switching off saying she can’t walk because it hurts, and then roller blading and dancing all over the house! She is a highly sensitive and dramatic kid, so I think she did hurt herself but she is also not as injured as she made it out to be. It’s also been a bit better each day. My guess is a pulled muscle, and the warmth of her bath exacerbated it. Bh she is doing a lot better, with the occasional mention of how she can’t walk.

My plan was that if there was no improvement within 24 hours I was going to call the doctor, and by she improved but isn’t fully back to herself.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for checking in!

So she’s been very funny abt it. Switching off saying she can’t walk because it hurts, and then roller blading and dancing all over the house! She is a highly sensitive and dramatic kid, so I think she did hurt herself but she is also not as injured as she made it out to be. It’s also been a bit better each day. My guess is a pulled muscle, and the warmth of her bath exacerbated it. Bh she is doing a lot better, with the occasional mention of how she can’t walk.

My plan was that if there was no improvement within 24 hours I was going to call the doctor, and by she improved but isn’t fully back to herself.

Sounds like one of my children 🤦‍♀️
Sooo hard to tell when something's a real issue with these types!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
Sounds like one of my children 🤦‍♀️
Sooo hard to tell when something's a real issue with these types!

Seriously!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics