Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Confidentiality when tipped with a check
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:56 pm
I work as a speech therapist in a school and was tiped by 2 students with a check. I'm always extremely careful with confidentiality.

Is it ok to have my husband deposit the checks (it has their last namse on it )? Should I rather deposit it (less likely he will see it in that case, but there's still the possibility he needs to check the bank statements for something. (This has come up in past already and I've always just deposited it myself....but now my husband is more involved in finances that he used to be, and sometimes looks things up and etc)

Should I assume the parents are ok with it - since they chose to give a check and they know I'm married ?
Do I need to ask the parents or am I being to extreme (this is speech therapy not counseling)?

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:57 pm
I would assume that the parents dont think that your husband doesn't know who your clients are

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:57 pm
I dont consider a husband breaching confidentiality.
my husband \knows lots of confidential information from my place where I work.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:59 pm
Download the banks app and deposit yourself

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:01 pm
I think you should deposit it yourself and that's fine.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:02 pm
I have a business account for this reason, and only I have access to it. I assume other therapists do the same. In your case you can just let your dh know that you're depositing checks from clients and he should not check the images to protect their confidentiality. I would not have him deposit the checks.

BrooklynBee

I'm a therapist, so idk if ppl would care less abt a speech therapist, but I would cash the check myself and tell my DH not to look at the check online... I don't think you need to drive yourself crazy, but personally, I think cashing the checks yourself would be an appropriate way to keep their privacy.

Your DH would for sure be beaching privacy!!! I hope my therapist doesn't talk about me to her DH! (I might say something that I'm thinking about/ working on with changing necessary details and of course no name!)

amother
Geranium

If they wrote a check instead of giving cash, I'd think it's okay.

amother
Foxglove

If it's a common one why worry? There can be so many people with this last name, no reason for your husband to make a connection. I think it's slightly paranoid to be this worried.

amother
Ruby

amother Stone wrote:
I would assume that the parents dont think that your husband doesn't know who your clients are

I would absolutely assume that they don't talk about clients by name. Seriously unprofessional. Hipaa doesn't say "husbands excluded".

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:04 pm
If they gave you a check they assume your husband might see it. I think it’s fine.

It’s tipped btw

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:04 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:

Seriously terrible, and unprofessional.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:05 pm
amother Stone wrote:

I have clients approach my dh, assuming they know I work with their kids. He never does. It's not legal, not ethical, and not ok for me to share anything with him- HIPAA is there for a reason.

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:05 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:

Legally, halachically, & ethically, this is actually a tremendous breach of confidentiality & if you need to keep things confidential by law & policy, then it is extremely wrong of you to disclose information to your husband. You are fooling your clients & you have absolutely no right to disclose information without their permission. If you disclose information that's meant to be confidential, you have no business being in the profession you are in. It's not for you.

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:08 pm
OP, I'd ask the clients if they're OK with having your husband deposit the check.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:08 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:

I wonder if the people who you've spoken about to him would agree with you. If the information at your company is truly confidential then you should not be discussing it with your husband.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:09 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:

I wouldnt be so proud of this. You realize you can be fired.

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:10 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
I wouldnt be so proud of this. You realize you can be fired.

A sued. And perhaps even jailed.

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:10 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:

I sure hope that you don't work in healthcare because that definitely is a breach in confidentiality!! I would not want my provider to act like that!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:16 pm
Op I’m very impressed with your question. You are a true professional!!! Kol hakavod🫡
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics