Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Minimalism

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:36 am
I really love the idea. But with 8 kids, I feel like I always need to buy another thing.
Tights
Tzitzis
White shirts
Pants
Shoes
Coloring papers
Snacks
And the list goes on and on...

Then there is all their wants and must haves and things to keep them busy with.

How do I stop? I just don't wanna shop anymore, but it seems like there is always another thing to buy.

I'm terrible with buying bulk. I never do seasonal shopping, just here and there something I find on sale (dresses) and even then I think 100x if really need it.

I also dump things daily.
But I still feel I'm drowning. I wish I didn't need anything.

Some ppl say they barely shop. How??

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:25 am
amother OP wrote:
I really love the idea. But with 8 kids, I feel like I always need to buy another thing.
Tights
Tzitzis
White shirts
Pants
Shoes
Coloring papers
Snacks
And the list goes on and on...

Then there is all their wants and must haves and things to keep them busy with.

How do I stop? I just don't wanna shop anymore, but it seems like there is always another thing to buy.

I'm terrible with buying bulk. I never do seasonal shopping, just here and there something I find on sale (dresses) and even then I think 100x if really need it.

I also dump things daily.
But I still feel I'm drowning. I wish I didn't need anything.

Some ppl say they barely shop. How??

I think those people who barely shop probably do seasonal shopping.

I'm not sure thay any of the things on your list are things thay can be avoided with minimalism. Kids need clothes and shoes.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:30 am
amother Topaz wrote:
I think those people who barely shop probably do seasonal shopping.

I'm not sure thay any of the things on your list are things thay can be avoided with minimalism. Kids need clothes and shoes.

You're right. What bothers me is if I finally buy something, it breaks, or runs small, or tights get holes, and then I need to shop again.
I feel like I am always shopping and I want to stop.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:05 am
I don’t think minimalism is about the time spent shopping.
It’s about the excess.
You can be living simply even with shopping for new tights all the time.
With 8 Kids Kah what do you envision shopping to look like?

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:27 am
With eight kids you're clearly NOT a minimalist, so don't call yourself one. Obviously you can't have the same sort of household as someone with one or two children. Not even when they're all grown and out of the house, because then you'll still need to have things for visiting grandchildren.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:31 am
I get you OP.

I have a wayyy smaller family and the constant shopping makes me ill too. I can never catch up. It feels like a consumerist trap but it's stuff you need.

I'm constantly purging. I also try to throw out 1 or 2 items for every new item that comes in.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:35 am
Minimalism isn't about not shopping; it's about not having more than you need. A minimalist fashionista may buy a new outfit every other week, but she also gives away an older outfit every week so she never has more than three skirts and two dresses at any one time. A minimalist bookaholic may buy and read a book a week, but she also donates at least a book a week so she never has more than ten books on her shelf at any one time. Farshteystu?

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:54 am
I'm not sure if you mean because you have limited time, or money, or space. These are my tricks with a large family.

I'm so happy to have not bought my kids snow boots last year we had no snow. We have rainboots that get worn in rain or snow as needed. We only buy snowboots a year that's very cold and snowy and those I buy for one season and im done with it. And gets passed down its easy care. Tight I don't buy in every pattern that only match one outfit. Each tights match multiple outfits. My kids have very few hair accessories. They have ones that could go with everything. I tell my kids that when a new fad come out sometimes it over and done just as quickly as it came. I wait before we buy everyone a sleeping yoyo and rubiks cubes they can't even do. They realize that many times that exactly what happens.
My kids in uniforms don't have more then 2 outfits neutral enough they can be worn both in the fall and winter not because we can't afford but because why bother they have off so little days that are not yom tov and with a big family the washer is always running anyway and they grow into the next size so fast. In the summer I buy the kids double. They have spring type outfits worn on spring and summer sundays. Then summer outfits. Then second half some of the summer looks worn out and get replaced with new ones. This is what I call minimalist.

My older friends have big libraries with every book that's in print. I don't think I'm the only one maybe it's even a generational thing but I held on to a chunk of well written books and classics and we trade and borrow other books so we are not rolling in books.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics