Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Honey Getting hard
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 9:12 am
Why does my honey keep getting hard?

613mitzvahgirl

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 9:49 am
It happens here to. I think it has to do with the moisture in the air.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 9:51 am
It seems to be inevitable when you open honey as the "sugar" crystallizes.

Just warm it and it will easily become liquid again very quickly.

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 9:59 am
I had my honey in a cabinet right on top of my hot water urn and it kept getting hard. I moved it to my pantry and now that there's no hot steam near it, it stopped getting hard.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 9:59 am
Put the jar in a pot of very hot water.

Lemonade 2323

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 10:00 am
Put it in the microwave for a minute.

Coffee Addict

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 10:09 am
Same! I threw out the second hard bottle. Never had this before.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 10:16 am
I also never had it before but in the last 6 months I had to throw out a few containers of honey. I just bought a small honey. I figured I'll use it up quickly. I'm wondering if the company I was buying makes an inferior honey. I usually buy that one because they're often on sale in the grocery I go to.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 10:20 am
There is NO REASON to throw out honey that has gotten hard. It isn't spoiled at all and easily goes back to gooey soft liquid if you just warm it a bit.

I am surprised that people haven't experienced this with honey since it occurs almost always when you open a jar and don't use it for a bit.

Perhaps people used up honey quickly but anyone who opened up a jar for a 1/2 cup for a recipe and then stashed it in the pantry had the experience of the honey crystallizing it and then just "thawed" it to liquefy when they wanted to use it.

bp1234

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 11:29 am
I’ve heated the honey but it’s not the samez watery on top and still that congealed consistency on bottom. Will it affect the taste?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:03 pm
Ime real honey gets hard and can be melted back to normal.

The cheap stuff doesn't ever become honey again.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:14 pm
Some companies are better than others and less likely to crystallize. I find gefen to be of higher quality.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Some companies are better than others and less likely to crystallize. I find gefen to be of higher quality.

Lol if its not raw honey then its not honey. its just some honey with added corn syrup and sugar. IMO it doesnt even taste like honey

Debbig

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 1:17 pm
My experience is it happens with cheaper honeys I’m assuming they are mixing in other sweeteners. Never had the problem with good brands. Like Costco (the bear ones) or golden blossom.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jan 06 2024, 1:27 pm
bp1234 wrote:
I’ve heated the honey but it’s not the samez watery on top and still that congealed consistency on bottom. Will it affect the taste?

Stir it for a minute or two to get an even consistency.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Jan 06 2024, 2:21 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
Lol if its not raw honey then its not honey. its just some honey with added corn syrup and sugar. IMO it doesnt even taste like honey

Aren't there laws in the US what can be called honey?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Jan 06 2024, 2:27 pm
Amarante wrote:
There is NO REASON to throw out honey that has gotten hard. It isn't spoiled at all and easily goes back to gooey soft liquid if you just warm it a bit.

I am surprised that people haven't experienced this with honey since it occurs almost always when you open a jar and don't use it for a bit.

Perhaps people used up honey quickly but anyone who opened up a jar for a 1/2 cup for a recipe and then stashed it in the pantry had the experience of the honey crystallizing it and then just "thawed" it to liquefy when they wanted to use it.

Amarante, please shout out again for those in the back of the bus!

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Jan 06 2024, 6:13 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Aren't there laws in the US what can be called honey?

I don't think so.

There are laws for how much chemicals you can add to a product for it to be considered safe

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 06 2024, 10:49 pm
How are y'all thawing the honey? I buy mine in plastic bottles and when I try to warm it up, the plastic starts to warp and then I worry I'm releasing plastic into the honey and I give up and throw it out.

Switched to small bottles because I don't make recipes with lots of honey so often anymore. I used to use almost a cup a week for challah but I just don't have time so all the extra keeps getting wasted.

effess

Post Sat, Jan 06 2024, 10:57 pm
seeker wrote:
How are y'all thawing the honey? I buy mine in plastic bottles and when I try to warm it up, the plastic starts to warp and then I worry I'm releasing plastic into the honey and I give up and throw it out.

Switched to small bottles because I don't make recipes with lots of honey so often anymore. I used to use almost a cup a week for challah but I just don't have time so all the extra keeps getting wasted.

Warm water should not warp your plastic. Use warm water from the tap.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen