Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Do israelis know how to carry a tune?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:30 pm
octopus wrote:
He writes his own words. He sings poetry. I think halev sheli is almost a modern day piyut with biblical illusions. I think that's why he's very popular.

I think people are also crazy about his singing but when I listen I’m like What

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:30 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Why is no one posting kooloolam music on this thread? If ever there was a thread crying out for it this is it!

There was one on page 2 or 3

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:31 pm
DrMom wrote:
You are watching a funeral and this is what you are thinking of? Yuck.

Or clips of soldiers singing? They're not there to entertain, they're there to fight and defend the rest of us. What is wrong with you?

This
Very very strange and off

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:32 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
Op I think I understand what you are talking about.
My siblings 'make fun' of how my kids sing so Israeli they are young but its the way Israeli sing that sound 'off' to chutznikkim. I did the same to my older brothers kids and laugh at how now my kids are singing like that.
Not going to lie I was slightly embarrased at how DH sang when he was by my family at the beginning (he is Israeli.) now I hardly notice it unless its pointed out.

I’m glad to see people understand what I meant! I totally get the bolded! Laugh but I’m sure your family loves him for who he is!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:34 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
Why did this video get hugs?

Because it’s sad/emotional?

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:48 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Oh my, this song!
Some 35 years ago, when I was in high school, we had this song playing by dance classes. Such memories, I feel like dancing! LOL

This was originally sung by Zohar, in the 1980's.

And I just found this:

Such nostalgia!

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:22 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Oh my, this song!
Some 35 years ago, when I was in high school, we had this song playing by dance classes. Such memories, I feel like dancing! LOL

This was originally sung by Zohar, in the 1980's.

What's zohar? It's an Ofra Haza song

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think people are also crazy about his singing but when I listen I’m like What

So maybe you should just accept that you have a different style.
Yishai Ribo is one the biggest Israeli singers right now and he even sold out Madison Square Garden for an American audience. He is constantly selling out venues in Israel
so clearly, a lot of people think he's a great singer.
He 100% sings on tune.

So you don't appreciate him. That's fine.
But not a reason to besmirch Israelis.

smss

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 12:04 am
This thread is bizarre. Like half of my favorite singers are Israeli.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 1:21 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Yotam Chaim was one of the hostages accidentally killed by the IDF

Oy. Okay the name sounds familiar. I just didn't know what he did for living. And he was a famous drummer beta knew? Who did he play for?

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 1:27 am
I think I get it OP. Sefardi style music sounds off to me too, it's hard for me to listen to even though I know it's on tune. You know like this

I'm not sure it's only sung by sefardim. Omer Adam, Eyal Golan, and other famous Israelis have songs in this style and I'm not sure they are sefardi.

My husband is really into this kind of music as of late so it plays alot jn our house so it sojnds a lot better to me than it did a few months ago.

Reality

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 1:45 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This was one of the saddest songs but also strongest songs that I have ever heard. Crying Crying Crying

OMG, Yonina has the sweetest voice ever! I went to a concert of her and her husband years ago and her voice live is just unbelievable!

Reality

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 1:50 am
octopus wrote:
I think the tone for many of the Israeli songs are different than what you are used to. I at first had a very difficult time listening to ishay ribo. It's a very different sound. The couple that was singing in an earlier post , that type of singing is much more what us westerners are used to hearing, it's just in a different language.

He's a singer/song writer. He actually has a very good voice compared to some American singer/song writers. Like Bob Dylan or John Denver. They didn't have the most amazing voices yet everyone loved them because their songs came from their souls.

I will always prefer a singer/song writer over just a singer any day. Even if the singer has a better voice. You can't compare the depth of singing your own lyrics, ever, in my opinion.

etky

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:03 am
DrMom wrote:
You are watching a funeral and this is what you are thinking of? Yuck.

Or clips of soldiers singing? They're not there to entertain, they're there to fight and defend the rest of us. What is wrong with you?

Thank you.
Yes it was a very stupid idea to open this thread AT THIS TIME.
Not really because of the negative assessment of soldiers' singing, rather because of the triviality of the topic compared to what these same soldiers are doing, oh and getting killed in the process too.
Really poor judgement.
Uch.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:10 am
etky wrote:
Thank you.
Yes it was a very stupid idea to open this thread AT THIS TIME.
Not really because of the negative assessment of soldiers' singing, rather because of the triviality of the topic compared to what these same soldiers are doing, oh and getting killed in the process too.
Really poor judgement.
Uch.

I think it's a coping mechanism. Dh and I both had funerals of grandparents we were very close to in recent years, and at both funerals some female rabbi who mispronounced all the Hebrew stood up and spoke, said interesting things and said kaddish while mispronouncing every word.

Each time we both started laughing, and crying at the same time.

Yes it was a funeral and yes we were sad but these things were so glaringly in our face it was impossible to ignore it.

If OP is really sensitive to sounds and also doesn't speak Hebrew, I am not surprised that although she was sad that that thought came up in her brain.

Maybe we can aruge it was insensitive to make a thread about it currently, but having the thoughts she's having I think isn't. Thoughts come up in our heads without us wanting to have them.

I think it just shows how people in chutz laaretz are removed from this more, they don't understand what's being said in these videos, they don't personally know much people or anyone personally affected, and although it's horrific and sad its just not being lived through with the eyes of someone here.

etky

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:16 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I think it's a coping mechanism. Dh and I both had funerals of grandparents we were very close to in recent years, and at both funerals some female rabbi who mispronounced all the Hebrew stood up and spoke, said interesting things and said kaddish while mispronouncing every word.

Yes it was a funeral and yes we were sad but these things were so glaringly in our face it was impossible to ignore it.

If OP is really sensitive to sounds and also doesn't speak Hebrew, I am not surprised that although she was sad that that thought came up in her brain.

Maybe we can aruge it was insensitive to make a thread about it currently, but having the thoughts
she's having I think isn't. Thoughts come up in our heads without us wanting to have them.

I think it just shows how people in chutz laaretz are removed from this more, they don't understand what's being said in these videos, they don't personally know much people or anyone personally affected, and although it's horrific and sad its just not being lived through with the eyes of someone here.

Totally - but who posts everything that comes into their head w/o considering context and how it will be received?
And if you're removed from a situation but know that others on the forum where you're posting are not then you think a million times beforehand, no?
Sorry I don't have a sense of humor about this.
Actually, no I'm not sorry.

Reality

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:18 am
LovesHashem wrote:

Maybe we can aruge it was insensitive to make a thread about it currently, but having the thoughts she's having I think isn't. Thoughts come up in our heads without us wanting to have them.

I'm sorry, but that is a very poor excuse. We all have filters. OP should have used hers. Not every thought has to be said outloud or publicly typed up.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:19 am
etky wrote:
Totally - but who posts everything that comes into their head w/o considering context and how it will be received?
And if you're removed from a situation but know that others on the forum where you're posting are not then you think a million times beforehand, no?
Sorry I don't have a sense of humor about this.
Actually, no I'm not sorry.

I think all your points are valid. Don't be sorry. ♥ Not everyone is great about thinking about potential scenarios how things could be received. I'm one of those people, my brain is not wired to even think about that in this context. I'd never think before posting something how I think people will respond or look at it. I would never occur to me to think about something too much before posting.

someone

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:27 am
LovesHashem wrote:

[b]
I think this is something I see on a lot of threads. People in chutz laaretz care and want to be involved in what is happening, which is great. They are watching all the videos and reading news updates to keep up with what is going on because they care. But at the end of the day, they are removed from it, it doesn't have the same emotional load that we have here. So lots of times things I read here (or on other places, or that my family in chu"l say) annoy or upset me. But I know it doesn't come from any kind of bad intentions, just someone who is living in a different world. So much so that they don't even imagine that what they are saying or how they are saying it could be sensitive for us.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:40 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Oy. Okay the name sounds familiar. I just didn't know what he did for living. And he was a famous drummer beta knew? Who did he play for?

No. Not to my awareness. I mentioned him because if you watched the first video I posted with Netta singing, it highlights him at the end. She made a video to bring awareness for all of the hostages. Tuval is the name of her drummer. Yotam was his brother. I was watching that video probably almost daily thinking of the hostages, and Yotam. And when the news came out about the tragedy, it was especially heartbreaking.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics