Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
❗❗Socks in soup! ❗❗
1  2  Next

Sock in your soup?
Yes, always!  
 19%  [ 6 ]
Oyyyyy, no, was I supposed to?  
 80%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 31

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:31 am
I wasn't sure where to put this. Maybe shalom bayis would've been better? Anyway, I was reading another thread with a lot of helpful advice and one of the things mentioned was the importance of putting socks in your soup (quoted below for reference). I never did this. Help!

This poster never mentioned what can actually happen if you don't put socks in your soup, but it sounds rather worrisome. Knaidlach I never skip, don't worry. I'm scared of the long-term effects that I could be dealing with now, and I don't even know what they are yet! It's true, I simply don't know!

InnerMe wrote:

You should probably do a public service and publicize this further and create awareness as to what can happen when a woman doesn't put knaidlach or socks in her soup. Woman simply don't know. A campaign. That's it. You gotta start a campaign on this and spread the awareness.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:48 am
I don’t know what this is supposed to a joke about, but my mother always used to use cheap white or nude nylon knee highs to hold the dill and parsley when she made chicken soup! She even gave me a large package of knee highs upon my marriage for my own soup making.

I was at my mother-in-law’s house as a newlywed and was helping her cook for a big yomtov. I offered to make a big pot of soup and then realized I didn’t have a net/bag/stocking for the herbs. She didn’t have any white/colorless stockings, and gave me a (brand new, of course) navy blue one. Dye is colorfast, right? It shouldn’t make a difference!

Cut to a few hours later, the entire soup is blue. The onions are blue. The boiled chicken is blue. The orange carrots are now a muddy shade of blue. My brothers in law called it Smurf Soup.

It tasted totally normal, I promise!! But no one would eat it besides me 😂

And that is my story of the sock in the soup.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:50 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I don’t know what this is supposed to a joke about, but my mother always used to use cheap white or nude nylon knee highs to hold the dill and parsley when she made chicken soup! She even gave me a large package of knee highs upon my marriage for my own soup making.

I was at my mother-in-law’s house as a newlywed and was helping her cook for a big yomtov. I offered to make a big pot of soup and then realized I didn’t have a net/bag/stocking for the herbs. She didn’t have any white/colorless stockings, and gave me a (brand new, of course) navy blue one. Dye is colorfast, right? It shouldn’t make a difference!

Cut to a few hours later, the entire soup is blue. The onions are blue. The boiled chicken is blue. The orange carrots are now a muddy shade of blue. My brothers in law called it Smurf Soup.

Omg! Smurf soup LOL

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:50 am
I use net bags that are made to go in the soup.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:51 am
I'd rather put Stocks in my soup! It's liquid gold ✨️

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:52 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
I use net bags that are made to go in the soup.

I know those exist and that’s what I buy now; this was many years ago and out of town…. it was like 6 knee highs (3 pairs) for $1 or something, my mother would never have bought “made to go in the soup” bags if she had a cheaper alternative 😄

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:52 am
Are you also the OP of "I never climbed Mt. Everest. AMA"?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:53 am
bigsis144 wrote:

Oyyyy so apparently not only are the socks important, but you have to make sure to use a certain type as well?

I really wish people shared this more openly. Does denier matter?

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:54 am
amother Mauve wrote:

Nope! I really do try to post under my username whenever I can

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:57 am
amother Mauve wrote:

Why, was she also asking for advice about soup socks? Maybe I should look at the thread.

I've been too busy making knaidels to climb Mt. Everest, or write about not climbing it.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:08 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Nope! I really do try to post under my username whenever I can

Not you lol Wink I meant the OP (of this thread) sounds eerily similar to the OP of the other one...

And if you are the same person, I shall give you one more chance to redeem yourself. Do you, or do you not, know Half Arthur?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:16 am
amother Mauve wrote:
Not you lol Wink I meant the OP (of this thread) sounds eerily similar to the OP of the other one...

And if you are the same person, I shall give you one more chance to redeem yourself. Do you, or do you not, know Half Arthur?

I don't think I know a Half Arthur. But my husband's third cousin twice removed is Arthur. Would that make him 1/6th Arthur?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:21 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't think I know a Half Arthur. But my husband's third cousin twice removed is Arthur. Would that make him 1/6th Arthur?

That depends. Does 1/6th Arthur eat soup with socks for the First Breakfast at 6am, while the door is still locked? It makes a significant difference to whether or not he can qualify.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:21 am
Anyways, we're getting sidetrackeded. Am I the only one without soup socks? And what can I do about the fact that I've never used them for the last 22 years? I worry for my dear 1/6th Arthur (did I get the math right?). Help please! With the math and with the socks.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:23 am
amother Mauve wrote:
That depends. Does 1/6th Arthur eat soup with socks for the First Breakfast at 6am, while the door is still locked? It makes a significant difference to whether or not he can qualify.

I never knew genealogy was so complicated! How many breakfasts does he need to have to qualify? I really don't want my husband to be unqualified.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Anyways, we're getting sidetrackeded. Am I the only one without soup socks? And what can I do about the fact that I've never used them for the last 22 years? I worry for my dear 1/6th Arthur (did I get the math right?). Help please! With the math and with the socks.

Wait a second. Don't you mean 23 years? IIRC, your birthday is in November...

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:27 am
Do you use black socks in the winter? Are you chassidish?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:30 am
amother Crocus wrote:
Do you use black socks in the winter? Are you chassidish?

Am I supposed to switch? See, this is why I started the thread. I didn't even know the depths of my ignorance.

I think you're getting me confused with someone else, though. I haven't used socks before, that's my problem.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:33 am
amother Mauve wrote:
Wait a second. Don't you mean 23 years? IIRC, your birthday is in November...

No, no, no, no. 22 isn't my age. I only started making soup when I got married. If I grew up making soup, I probably wouldn't have had these problems. I might've been a soup sock expert.

Is your friend with the birthday in November a soup sock expert? Maybe she can advise.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:34 am
amother OP wrote:
No, no, no, no. 22 isn't my age. I only started making soup when I got married. If I grew up making soup, I probably wouldn't have had these problems. I might've been a soup sock expert.

Is your friend with the birthday in November a soup sock expert? Maybe she can advise.

Did you grow up eating soup? Did your mother put socks in the soup she lovingly prepared for you?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics