Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What is the best job for a kollel wife?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:03 pm
Please advise what is/are the best jobs for a wife and mother who would like to be able to support the family.
Ideally not many years of schooling, but open to hearing any ideas that are realistic.
Taking for granted that the less hours the better- she would like to also be able to take off for a sick kid, be able to do as much dropoff/pickup as possible, and not be crazy stressed all the time.
People will say impossible, I know, but there are definitely those who BH do make it work so please advise what is the best hishtadlus!!

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:04 pm
Rich parents
Win the lottery
Be a secretary in Lakewood.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:11 pm
In Lakewood the husbands drop off and pick up mostly. Many if not most babysitters and playgroups go by the yeshiva schedule.

Often my coworkers have their husband home with a sick child as they have to work to support the family and can't always be losing pay
The husbands often take children to doctor too

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:18 pm
Computer programmer
Maybe accountant

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:18 pm
The best job is one that uses the talents and interest of the individual. They will do better, avoid burnout, and advance quicker in something that they have a knack for and are interested in.

Some ideas:

Tech career such as Software Developer, Business Analyst, Cybersecurity, Analyst, Data Analyst which require bootcamps/courses
Medical Biller
Accountant
Graphic Designer
Copywriter

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:19 pm
When my husband was in kollel I worked super full time. I left the house very early after he davened vasikin, he did drop off. He did all Drs appts for the kids during his lunch break. He did all sick days home. If you want long term kollel you want good pay, paid maternity leave, and flexible hours if possible. CPA is a great option if you have the head for it.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:25 pm
Find a job that can make a lot of money. Like a PA or Dr. it’s hard to get there but it’s worth the payoff. Maybe a lawyer.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:26 pm
It's not the job itself. It's her Bosses. If she works in a 7.30am to 5.00 pm job with No taking off when your child is ill,(there are places like this) its not for her. The work area has to be with kind people. I have a niece who Bh'has a growing family. She is a CPA for a Religious Organization. Lovely people.
If her child is ill, she can come late, leave early. She will make up work the next day. She works hard but family is family. She also stayed on a few hours when another woman was ill. It works both ways.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:32 pm
In nyc, special Ed providers who do seit in Jewish schools can make a nice amount per hour and be flexible

accountantmommy

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:35 pm
Accountant can be great if you would anyways like accounting.

Paid maternity leave, good benefits, pto, and work remotely.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:39 pm
Cpa? Might be flexible but its pretty insane and stressful for a mother. Dh is an accountant and never home during sukkos and pesach season. Your clients are always calling and texting you...
I second the poster who says do what you enjoy and passionate about. That's where you'll grow and move up quickly and you will enjoy what you do all day... This way when you drop off you 6 week old at the sitter you will be excited to get back to work

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:55 pm
Limudei kodesh teacher in a Yeshivish girls school.

Surprising, right? But you can talk from today till tomorrow about pay and benefits. At the end of the day, this is the most common profession for long-term Kollel wives. Even without rich parents or lottery tickets.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:58 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Limudei kodesh teacher in a Yeshivish girls school.

Surprising, right? But you can talk from today till tomorrow about pay and benefits. At the end of the day, this is the most common profession for long-term Kollel wives. Even without rich parents or lottery tickets.

Crazy but true. That said I am a teacher and enjoy all the benefits but would never manage on a teachers salary alone. I have a side service business.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:04 pm
If Lakewood... Office jobs can be very very well paying with lots of opportunities and flexible..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:05 pm
those saying limudei kodesh teacher- how does this work past the first few years once the family is BH bigger? it does seem common and really nice, but can you explain why you like it + how it makes sense for you?
Also many are saying just make as much $ as possible- obviously that would be great but I'm not focused on just biggest possible bank account. I think medium/long term needs to be around 90k or more to be realistic and not coming up too short...is that wrong? open to adjusting
Again very interested to hear from those doing/done this successfully...Especially past just the first few years with less expenses.
Thanks again so much

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:06 pm
I’m a CPA in public accounting. Y”t is very difficult. I wouldn’t recomend it for a long term job. Once your kids are bigger you need to be there for them yt time. If she’s supporting till her kids are like 8 or 10 I think it’s doable. If it’s beyond that, public accounting may not be such a great idea.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:08 pm
re office jobs in lakewood, what do you mean well-paying? My impression was around 50-60k was the highest range for office jobs (like after some experience) is that right?
Though I imagine having a Jewish employer automatically helps a lot with flexibiity (yt, mat leave, etc)

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
those saying limudei kodesh teacher- how does this work past the first few years once the family is BH bigger? it does seem common and really nice, but can you explain why you like it + how it makes sense for you?
Also many are saying just make as much $ as possible- obviously that would be great but I'm not focused on just biggest possible bank account. I think medium/long term needs to be around 90k or more to be realistic and not coming up too short...is that wrong? open to adjusting
Again very interested to hear from those doing/done this successfully...Especially past just the first few years with less expenses.
Thanks again so much

I don't know how it works only that the women I work with have husbands in learning or klei kodesh for many years. For me it works because between free tuition, qtr and afternoon and summers to pursue other work I make enough.

No teacher is wealthy from teaching - far from it. It's most likely that those who teach are those who are the type to be extremely dedicated to their husbands learning at all costs. What came 1st?

That said, teachers sacrifice to teach. I ask Hashem every day - I take care of Your children, please take care of me and mine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:13 pm
Context is she wants to be prepared that they could manage fine in the event that it would be the setup long-term, IYH.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
re office jobs in lakewood, what do you mean well-paying? My impression was around 50-60k was the highest range for office jobs (like after some experience) is that right?
Though I imagine having a Jewish employer automatically helps a lot with flexibiity (yt, mat leave, etc)

Some office jobs cap at 50-60k. I do know a fee people who advanced in their office jobs and are making up to 90k or more.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics