Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Tablecloth thick enough to absorb heat on trief table

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:25 pm
Can someone recommend a tablecloth that is thick enough to absorb piping hot food on trief table? Does it need to be flannel back? Prefer something that can go in washing machine and fold easier but would do flannel back if necessary.
If anyone can give me an Amazon link to something they think is thick enough would be amazing!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:35 pm
Never heard that it needs to be thick enough to absorb heat.
I hope you find what you're looking for!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:02 am
Well if you put super hot food and it goes through to trief table does't that heat that now reached the trief table absorb back up into whatever you put on table.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:12 am
You need a way for that taam to transfer, like liquid. A dry vessel, even if hot, on a treif surface is very hard to treif up.

I'd be much more concerned about the tablecloth melting.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 6:40 am
We use something like this..
Search for a heat resistant table runner.

RIMONA'S Thermo Heat Resistant Table Runner and Trivet for Hot Dishes - Waterproof Hot Plates to Protect Table and Countertop - Kitchen & Dining 350F Heat Protector 40" - The Everyday Jute Lace https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6.....ss_tl

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 6:48 am
amother OP wrote:
Well if you put super hot food and it goes through to trief table does't that heat that now reached the trief table absorb back up into whatever you put on table.

It doesn't work like that. Dry heat doesn't transfer the taam. It would need to be over a certain temperature and wet to transfer the taste.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 6:53 am
I'm not paskening on the kashrut, but if you're concerned about heat and the table, I would consider putting pads below your tablecloth. You can either get custom pads, which are pricey or a flannel or foam backed sheet that can be trimmed to size. Amazon sells the latter.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 8:21 am
Sorry if this is off topic but I've never heard of a table being treif. Generally my food is on/in a dish. Where do I find out more about this?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:05 pm
seeker wrote:
Sorry if this is off topic but I've never heard of a table being treif. Generally my food is on/in a dish. Where do I find out more about this?

Let's say you don't have a tablecloth and you have splashes of yad soledes bo chicken soup. The table may be fleishig.
Now you have hot milchig fudge sauce dripping as you pour it over your ice cream. Or your melting cheese fondue set is creating trails on your table. Your table now has bliyos of both.

Practically speaking, this doesn't happen in every household and how it would treif up a dish would be very hard. It's more likely that you'd drop hot steaming food on a treif table and have a question about that morsel of food that had contact with your treif table.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:23 pm
So I spilled chicken soup on shabbos (presumably from a kli shlishi, is that a kashrus factor or only shabbos?) and cheese fondue on Sunday. My table is treif, maybe. Why does this matter if I'm not roasting steak on it?

I'm not so well versed on these things but I'm having a hard time believing that spilling things on my non-padded table has any effect on my life.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:28 pm
Did you ask your LOR if this is necessary?

DH always says, the more you ask about Bassar B'Chalav you find out leniencies....and in Hilchos Shabbos, you find stringencies.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 8:44 am
seeker wrote:
So I spilled chicken soup on shabbos (presumably from a kli shlishi, is that a kashrus factor or only shabbos?) and cheese fondue on Sunday. My table is treif, maybe. Why does this matter if I'm not roasting steak on it?

I'm not so well versed on these things but I'm having a hard time believing that spilling things on my non-padded table has any effect on my life.

Absolutely no issue unless you wanted to lick that cheese fondue off the table!

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 9:00 am
Is this a thing? Can someone with knowledge clarify if I need to worry about this. Ty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen