Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Flying domestically with an expired passport

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:05 pm
Has anyone flown domestically in US with an expired passport? Is it allowed? Info online isn’t clear.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:06 pm
I don’t think you need a passport to fly domesticall? .

amother
Sand

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone flown domestically in US with an expired passport? Is it allowed? Info online isn’t clear.

Do you have any regular ID? Besides a passport? You don't need a passport really for domestic. You can use a driver's license.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:07 pm
You don’t, but I don’t have a drivers license . Only an expired passport.

wtvr

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:57 am
Technically you can fly without any id, so an expired passport seems like a step up:)
If ut expired less than a year ago, it's still considered valid ID.

If you have another thing with your name on it, like an insurance card or credit card, bring that as well. Just leave yourself extra time for a longer TSA screening, including a pat down.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 1:01 am
wtvr wrote:
Technically you can fly without any id, so an expired passport seems like a step up:)
If ut expired less than a year ago, it's still considered valid ID.

If you have another thing with your name on it, like an insurance card or credit card, bring that as well. Just leave yourself extra time for a longer TSA screening, including a pat down.

OP please double check this info. They ask for my ID every time I travel, and since DD turned 18 they ask for hers too.

An expired passport might work, I don't know. But you definitely need some form of ID.

wtvr

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 1:24 am
groisamomma wrote:
OP please double check this info. They ask for my ID every time I travel, and since DD turned 18 they ask for hers too.

An expired passport might work, I don't know. But you definitely need some form of ID.

Of course they ask you for ID, because officially you need ID to fly. And a state or federal government issued ID is simplest and "lachatchila"
But if you don't have ID (lost or left at home, etc) there are still ways you can fly, "bdieved."
There is another process for those without ID that they use to verify you.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/sec.....ation

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 2:06 am
amother OP wrote:
You don’t, but I don’t have a drivers license . Only an expired passport.

Just wanted to mention that even if you don't drive, you can get a state ID that's not a driver's license. It's a good idea to have ID on you, and it's easier to carry around than a passport.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:01 am
WhatFor wrote:
Just wanted to mention that even if you don't drive, you can get a state ID that's not a driver's license. It's a good idea to have ID on you, and it's easier to carry around than a passport.

This! Get a non driver ID.

And soon you'll need a real ID for domestic travel.

Here is the link from TSA website

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/sec.....tion.

ETA:

I found this https://www.rushmypassport.com.....port/

If you only have an expired passport, you can still bring it along for domestic travel within the United States, but you must convince TSA officers that you are who you say you are. However, if you’re traveling internationally, you must have a valid passport.

But I would set up an appointment to renew everything now anyways.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 7:59 am
wtvr wrote:
Of course they ask you for ID, because officially you need ID to fly. And a state or federal government issued ID is simplest and "lachatchila"
But if you don't have ID (lost or left at home, etc) there are still ways you can fly, "bdieved."
There is another process for those without ID that they use to verify you.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/sec.....ation

The link you provided says they may let you fly if you are able to verify. Not worth taking chances.

Having an ID is a necessity as an adult. OP, get a state ID. It's important to have.

wtvr

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:19 pm
I'm not advocating flying without ID, nor saying not to get one, or renew it.

I was coming from the premise that the question is "I have a flight this week and just realized my passport is expired, will I still be able to fly?" And to answer that question, most probably yes. Just give yourself extra time and bring multiple secondary pieces of ID. ( expired passport, social security card, credit card, insurance card)
BTW if you here a state benefit card, like an EBT card with your picture on it, that's a state issued photo ID.⁰

Of course, if there's time, and the trip isn't planned yet or is in a while, renew your passport or get a non-drivers ID.

Eta: this has been my experience, twice.
Once when my license was stolen and the replacement hadn't come yet. And once when my husband's wallet went missing while we were away, and this was our return flight home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics