Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Can I use brisket as steak?

corolla

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:50 am
I have a first cut brisket that got a little too comfortable in the freezer, so I don't think it would work well as is. How would I prepare it so that it can be sliced into view size pieces? How long to cook it for and at what temp?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:58 am
Not as a steak. But can be sliced and baked low and slow as you would minute steak. Or can be cubed to make a delicious stew.

corolla

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
Not as a steak. But can be sliced and baked low and slow as you would minute steak. Or can be cubed to make a delicious stew.

I don't want it to fall apart. Planning to make lo mein for Shabbos and this is what I found in the freezer.
Is that possible?

Ellie7

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:33 am
corolla wrote:
I don't want it to fall apart. Planning to make lo mein for Shabbos and this is what I found in the freezer.
Is that possible?

I don't really think that would work because you'll need to cook the brisket low and slow, which is not how you cook lo mein. And you really do want to cook the meat in the sauce/with the veggies, etc. And even if you cook the brisket separately, once the brisket is cooked, you won't really be able to slice it into the size you want for lo mein.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:35 am
Make this recipe using your brisket instead. https://damndelicious.net/2016.....mein/

Its really really good. I just use a different meat.

effess

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:40 am
I tried it, and it did not work out well.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:54 pm
Brisket is a tough cut; preparing it the way you prepare steak will leave you with shoe leather, which is fine if you're preparing it for your dog or for people who are training their jaws for the All-Texas rawhide-chewing competition. For everyone else, there's Mastercard brisket needs long, slow cooking to break down the tough fibers, in water or a sauce so it doesn't dry out from all that long, slow heat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics