Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Share your 'dysfunction'!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 6:00 pm
The longer I inhabit this planet, the more I become convinced that everyone is 'dysfunctional' in some way or other.

Disclaimer #1: I do not believe that bathing your kids only once or twice a week, or sharing towels is dysfunction.

Disclaimer #2: As someone with a fascination of the human psyche, and passionate about emotional health, I also believe that having quirky flaws and practices are part of what makes us all human. To this end, I will still consider your child for a shidduch with one of my own offspring (when they become of age)... as long as your particular quirk or dysfunction does not cause me TOO much horror or dismay Wink

I'm trying for a light kinda thread, hence this being in the entertainment forum.

Will you share your secret or not so secret dysfunction?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 6:58 pm
Laundry doesn't always get folded, but is always clean.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 6:59 pm
If we are walking in the street and my 4 year old is singing on top of his lungs.. yes we are aware of the fact and letting him do wheat he loves . Tongue Out

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 7:00 pm
On Friday night if we don’t have company we use our soup bowls for the main course… I don’t give out clean plates…

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 7:01 pm
If my ds wants to wear a non matching top with his pants we let him.

Busybee5

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 7:01 pm
Letting my toddler walk around with a blaring loud MP3 player! People love it though. A bit of music on the go can't harm.

Busybee5

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 7:03 pm
Opening up the lolly that said toddler took before paying for it, or the rest of my groceries. Because you know, tantrums...

Genius

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 7:06 pm
I quite often have holes in my stockings (in invisible areas as long as I’m upright). I pray not to slip all the way to the bank.

Tao

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 7:12 pm
My kids ride bikes in the house. The couch doubles as a fortress and trampoline. I have only boys and basically no rules about the house; if it ain't broke yet it's probably made of titanium. I pick my battles and don't allow things that are dangerous. If no-one can choke or get a concussion, I just look away.
I'm strict at other people's houses though, constantly telling my boys not to stand on chairs, jump on couches, and take off their shoes if they're wet. So we save the dysfunction for our own home LOL LOL

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 7:17 pm
On Sunday nights I serve leftovers in their disposable tins on the table.

There's more but that's one I wouldn't do with a guest around.

hodeez

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 7:19 pm
My girls sometimes wear their uniforms to bed so they have a quicker morning. I've learned to pick my battles ..

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 7:25 pm
I don't remember the last time I washed my bed linen. (Still looks clean though. If there were obvious stains I would wash it... I think... no one report me lol)

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:43 pm
except for mushrooms, I rarely wash fresh vegetables or fruit.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:04 pm
I have a no shoe rule but sometimes you can’t see my counters or floors My mil wldnt believe the mess if she popped in randomly. Though it’s spotless Friday late late afternoons…

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:11 pm
Sometimes it takes me a few days to unpack after going away. My house could always be spotless, but the luggage will stay upstairs untouched.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:18 pm
I eat desert before my meals. I like a sweet start

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:03 pm
amother Silver wrote:
Sometimes it takes me a few days to unpack after going away. My house could always be spotless, but the luggage will stay upstairs untouched.

I do that too. It's not dysfunctional imo. It's just smart budgeting of my time and recourse. We usually go away for the weekend and I would save it for when the kids were already in school on Monday and out of my hair.
Now that my kids are not toddlers or very young anymore (my oldest is 10) they help me unpack. Everyone gets their own stuff they haven't used, and they put it back on the shelf/hang it back in the closet. They also put away the toys and games if we took some along. And the toiletries I put away. In 5 minutes it's done then dh takes down the suitcases with the dirty laundry in it, he dumps the laundry in the hamper downstairs in the laundry room and puts the suitcase in the garage....

Mine is, unless its a full blown blowout, I change my babies (not newborns) wherever I am. I put them on the floor, and sit down on the floor to change them. stick the clean pamper under them to catch the mess if it happens. It rarely happens. I keep a 2nd clean one just in case. I have pampers, wipes and nappy bags in almost every room in my house for this purpose.
I get easily distracted. And if I need to go back up and change the baby, then I'll forget to come back down to finish the chore....

I grew up very much with "what will the neighbors say" and "what will the people gossip about" we wore designer, talored fancy stuff that I HATED and was so uncomfortable. And then we wore ripped threadbare stained hanes panties that was passed down from my older sister... and grey disgusting undershirts.
(Nothing wrong with hanes panties. Everyone in my house wears them. Lol)
I felt like I'm trash that's covered in glottery confetti. It was such a horrible feeling. Like no-one really cares about me it's all about what I represent. Who/what I showed up to look like.
My kids wear feathers undershirts. They are so cute and the ribbed is so comfy!!! When I discovered them my kid literally jumped up and down. 😂 If it gets a tiny hole it's a shmata! (Panties I buy cheap cuz they get ruined easily and I just dump them) it does get passed down but it's in perfect condition.
I spend more on shabbos robes they wear at home, than on shabbos/wedding dresses they wear outside the home. My kids wear their jewelry on shabbos even if we don't go anywhere. I buy the cutest pajamas. It's for noone to see but for themselves to be fresh and cutsie in the mirror after the shower.
I get my kids fuzzy slippers that are indoor shoes only. It's for THEM.

I love looking nice, I'm very into buying nice clothing for myself and my girls. But first and foremost, it needs to be tznius/neat fit appropriately. To me it's one and the same
And then the kids and I have to like the style.
My kids never have holes in their tights.
They are a bas melech. A princess doesn't wear ripped clothing.
not that it doesn't rip. It totally does. But I mend them Again and again as long a it's comfy and isn't noticeable.

My kids will look like a million bucks in target or tjmax clothing Because I'll make sure it fits right, the color compliments their face/completion.

I also usually not do things I'd be embarrassed about in front of guest. If it's inappropriate, it's inappropriate for myself and in front of my kids too.
The yelling part I still got to work on though. I guess that's my biggest dysfunction then. LOL

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:04 pm
I eat supper in my bed every night

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:14 pm
My kids, and even my husband, has nice presentable clothes, I hardly have any. Not because I couldn't have found the recourse, but bc I chose to spend those resources on them, even if not always needed.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:51 pm
Our window broke and we got it fixed but it took us a few years.

It was not pushed off because if finances.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics