Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
I think my baby might have hearing issues

ftm1234

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:42 am
My baby is almost 5 months old. She makes some eye contact, but not much. Not even when I hold her.

She definitely doesn’t have vision issues since she follows me with her eyes from quite a distance.

I hid behind a wall (in the same room with her) and called her name. She didn’t respond at all. I tried tapping loudly on the wall, no response.

I tried banging on the wall, no response.

However, she does startle from super loud music, super loud banging etc.

Yes, I will take her to the dr. But until then, any insights?

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:44 am
She may fluid in her ears and need tubes.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:45 am
You can schedule a hearing test. That will tell you one way or the other most likely.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:45 am
Didn’t she have. hearing test at the hospital before she was discharged?

ftm1234

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:46 am
amother Azalea wrote:
Didn’t she have. hearing test at the hospital before she was discharged?

Of course she did.

It’s 5 months later though.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:48 am
It's quite common for children to get fluid or wax build up in their ears, making it more difficult for them to hear.
Definitely take your baby to the doctor and go from there. They can check whether her ears are clear, and possibly schedule a hearing test.
Did she have a screening as a newborn for her hearing?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:52 am
Hi!
Mother of a deaf 9 year old.

There's not much you can do without more information.

You'll need an abr from an audiologist (I have an excellent recommendation if you're in NY) and a visit to an ENT (most probably, to rule out any issues with fluid).

The fact that your baby startles from very loud noises or music doesn't necessarily indicate anything one way or the other.

Most of all, I'm just posting to tell you...beH it won't be and your baby's hearing is healthy...but even if not, it'll be ok. There's so much technology, there's so much to do. My child lives a a totally normal life, in a mainstream classroom, at grade level, with friends and a great personality. There are challenges and it hasn't always been smooth, but as a very kind lady told me when they found me crying my eyes out at the audiologist...it's not a death sentence. BH.

ftm1234

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:56 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Hi!

You'll need an abr from an audiologist (I have an excellent recommendation if you're in NY) and a visit to an ENT (most probably, to rule out any issues with fluid).

The fact that your baby startles from very loud noises or music doesn't necessarily indicate anything one way or the other.

Most of all, I'm just posting to tell you...beH it won't be and your baby's hearing is healthy...but even if not, it'll be ok. There's so much technology, there's so much to do. My child lives a a totally normal life, in a mainstream classroom, at grade level, with friends and a great personality. There are challenges and it hasn't always been smooth, but as a very kind lady told me when they found me crying my eyes out at the audiologist...it's not a death sentence. BH.

Thank you ❤️

Hopefully it’s not anything too serious.

AlwaysThinking

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:57 am
I think babies that age can ignore normal sounds even if they are loud, and only respond to ones that shock them - clapping hands, slamming doors etc. Not saying you shouldn't get a hearing test, but just that it could be fine.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 12:20 pm
Best is to get hearing tested at a good audiologist. Where are you located? In NJ Dr Sarah Kader is excellent with children!

jd1212

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 12:33 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Hi!

Hi, could you please post or PM me the names of the audiologist and the ENT that you used?

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 12:41 pm
If the hearing test comes out clear get the eyes tested.
My baby had a problem they found at 7 months we would have had no idea to check but since my 6 yr old has glasses from the age of 2 (she needed them earlier but we only found out after she was walking for a while and was still falling.)
BH they said we should wait a few more months and it had cleared up (that hadn't happened to my older) both had exact same following and eye movement as my other child who was tested since 10 month several times and never had anything found.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics