Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Summer Ideas

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 8:49 pm
Not sure if we're too late in the game to be thinking about this, but figured I'd post and see if anyone has ideas for us!

My husband and I are both mechanchim. We live out of town and would love to go away somewhere for the first half of the summer. Ideally we'd like somewhere that has a job for my husband to be a learning rebbe in exchange for lodgings/day camp, not sure if that exists or if he'd have to work a whole day for that. I looked into sleepaway camp jobs for myself, but the available jobs didn't make sense for our family - I can't just be MIA from my kids for 4 weeks... Especially not in a camp that has no minyan/learning for my husband so he'd have to travel up to an hour each way to find a minyan in a "nearby" community. We're both out of towners and not familiar with the nuances of the different bungalow colonies.

Day camp is expensive, and it's hard to pay that when we're not working. Getting a job in the camps where we live is always a possibility, but we'd love to get away and be able to work with other kids so we can be refreshed to come back and work with the kids here after the summer is over.

If anyone has recommendations of camps/bungalows to apply to we'd greatly appreciate it! Or any ideas that we're not thinking of!

Thanks so much!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 8:51 pm
Also to add - I'm well aware that day camp is a luxury not a necessity. Last summer we couldn't do it and did Mommy and Tatty camp. B"H it was an amazing experience, and I plan to do it again for part of the summer, but our kids did miss the social interaction they would have had in camp.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 8:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Not sure if we're too late in the game to be thinking about this, but figured I'd post and see if anyone has ideas for us!

My husband and I are both mechanchim. We live out of town and would love to go away somewhere for the first half of the summer. Ideally we'd like somewhere that has a job for my husband to be a learning rebbe in exchange for lodgings/day camp, not sure if that exists or if he'd have to work a whole day for that. I looked into sleepaway camp jobs for myself, but the available jobs didn't make sense for our family - I can't just be MIA from my kids for 4 weeks... Especially not in a camp that has no minyan/learning for my husband so he'd have to travel up to an hour each way to find a minyan in a "nearby" community. We're both out of towners and not familiar with the nuances of the different bungalow colonies.

Day camp is expensive, and it's hard to pay that when we're not working. Getting a job in the camps where we live is always a possibility, but we'd love to get away and be able to work with other kids so we can be refreshed to come back and work with the kids here after the summer is over.

If anyone has recommendations of camps/bungalows to apply to we'd greatly appreciate it! Or any ideas that we're not thinking of!

Thanks so much!

OOC- fellow teacher here- you don’t split your checks to cover twelve months?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 8:58 pm
We do split over 12 months. Camp is just expensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps