Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Need help formulating a diet

amother

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 10:05 pm
In my effort to lose 15-20 pounds I have recently begun walking a few miles every day and switched from white flour to whole wheat. I may have lost some inches around my waist BUT AFTER A FEW WEEKS I HAVEN'T LOST A POUND! I MAY HAVE EVEN PUT ON WEIGHT! HEEELP!
I'm considering joining a weight watchers program but would due to financial and time constraints would like to come up with my own diet plan before I join them as a last resort.
I think my problem is that I'm overeating on the healthy foods. (Lots of nuts, whole wheat foods, etc.)

What should a typical day look like (from a food intake perspective?)

Please note that I am nursing.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 10:47 pm
It really depends on ur weight. switching to whole grains is a good start but above all u must have portion control! Measure out ur food, dont eat unlimited amounts of anything. Eat breakfast w/in the first hr that u wake up and eat lunch b4 u get hungry (around 12/12:30). Eat supper at aorund 6:30, no later than 7 and dont eat at night. Drink LOTS of water, cut out any sugary drinks like soda and juices.

I went to a nutritionist so I learned all of these tips, but I have to tell u that my body had to adjust when I first started. The first two weeks I was very hungry cuz my body was used to more food, but after I got used to it, I realized I really didn't need that much food! Maybe u cld find out abt a diet like wieght watchers online? or throught a friend and do it on ur own. then it doesnt cost u a/t. G'luck!

octopus

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:06 pm
amother wrote:
In my effort to lose 15-20 pounds I have recently begun walking a few miles every day and switched from white flour to whole wheat. I may have lost some inches around my waist BUT AFTER A FEW WEEKS I HAVEN'T LOST A POUND! I MAY HAVE EVEN PUT ON WEIGHT! HEEELP!
I'm considering joining a weight watchers program but would due to financial and time constraints would like to come up with my own diet plan before I join them as a last resort.
I think my problem is that I'm overeating on the healthy foods. (Lots of nuts, whole wheat foods, etc.)

What should a typical day look like (from a food intake perspective?)

Please note that I am nursing.

first of all, gaining weight after starting an exercise program is pretty typical. Muscle is heavier than fat.
I would just look at the inches right now. Eventually the weight will come off too, together with the inches.

Currently, I am following weight watchers since they are the only diet that takes nursing women into consideration.

How many weeks/months postpartum are you?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:15 pm
My baby is five months old, KA"H

BusyBeeMommy

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:18 pm
I did WW post-partum and I kno u get 10 points extra to eat if ur nursing. But u gotta calculate the rest of ur points based on weight, age and activity level.

octopus

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:22 pm
five months is not a long time. I typically don't start losing weight until about 7 months post partum. But I do lose inches. For some ppl, it does take more time.

This time around, because I am exercising and dieting, the pounds are SLOWLY coming off, and I will be 5 months postpartum in a week.

It's funny. I guess I'm the exact opposite of you. I don't care about the pounds- I care about the inches! I don't care what the scale says as long as I look good and fit into my clothes. Obviously inches and weight go hand-in-hand at some point, but I prefer the inches!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 1:45 am
The walking is a great habit! You can add to the benefits of whole wheat by trying to eat a high fiber diet all together.

To combat over eating you may be able to do weight watchers on your own. You can borrow materials from friends or go to one meeting for around $13. That one meeting will give you a small book with the point value of most foods and a slider table to tell you the points of all foods that have a nutrition label. You can look up the nutrition values of most foods not in the book on the internet or you can buy a more detailed book from them. Libraries carry weight watchers cook books or you can convert your own recipes. Or you can join online for free (credit card required) and quit after the two week trial period.

Here are some weight watchers tips that help with over eatings. Drink 8 glasses of water a day and drink one when you feel hungry or before meals. Eat often so you are never starving. Eat five to eight servings of vegetables and fruit a day (a serving is a cup of leafy greens or half a cup of other fruits and veggies or one apple, one orange, etc). Eat leaner meats (chicken and turkey white meat without the skin) and eat a serving at a time (4-5oz = the size of the palm of your hand). Eat one serving of complex carbs (the amount on the nutrition label of your cereal or pasta or a slice of bread).

www.sparkpeople.com is a free site that will count your daily calories and if you plan all your meals for a week you can print a shopping list.

Good luck!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 11:33 am
op here:
I did a check on the internet and was told that, considering my height, weight, and activity level, I need to consume 1800 calories a day. That would be to MAINTAIN my current weight. To LOSE weight, I need to consume less. This does not take into account that I am nursing.

How would I round out 1700 calories, in 3 meals and snacks?

I do not want to go less than that as firstly, I will probably starve, and secondly. I need the calories for my baby.

Please help me plan my meals for 3 days. I hope to borrow/buy the weight watchers book by then. Or, I'll keep repeating the menus you posted!

Thank you! This means a lot to me.

(I may begin after Tisha B'Av, as cutting back calories before a fast makes no sense to me)

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 11:56 am
I hate counting calories, because everything counts. Even a cucumber. On WW it is just zero points. period.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:03 pm
You can do what I do, ww on my own. I can have a certain amounts of points a day and eat that amount(when I'm good lol). It helps to know what your limit is and I learnt how to eat evenly my points like 2 starch a day-not more, 2-3 good fruits, salad for lunch....

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:04 pm
You can pm for advice and tips on ww if you want-points and all...I know the book by heart.

ganizzy

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 3:31 am
why dont you go on sparkpeople.com and put in the calorie counter waht you eat on an average day. it will tell youy the calories, carbs and fat for what you ste and the daily total. once you see it you may be able to see what equals those calories and what you have to cut out.

for ex. instead of eatting 2 bowls of rice krisspies which doesnt fill you up or have too much nutritional value, eat one bowl of cheerios or kashi or anything more filling and nutritious. even ifit has more calories per cupit will fill you up for longer. of course use lowfat milk

what I try in a day is breakfast a fruit or cereal usually around 8-9ish
around 11ish illl have a snack either the fruit or cereal if I didnt haave by breakfast, or rice cakes
lunch varies but some choices are ww bread with a light spread like low fat mayo or fat free margarine withlettuce and tomatoes, or tuna with veges. or ill make scrambled eggs with onions,tom and mushrooms. or a pita with cheese but ill put on vegeslike mushrooms, olives, onions,tomatoes and not too much cheese. sometimes ill have a big salad with a peice of fish or bread

supper I try to start with a soup bec that fills you up, then a salad.

hope that helps. im always battling with weight and eaing so pm me for other ideas if u want

amother

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 11:46 am
op here_
I got the ww book. How many points, in total per day, should I be allowed to have?

I am petite, need about 1800 calories a day, walk a few miles 5 times a week. I nurse.

How does that translate into points?

Teacup9

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 6:52 pm
Here is how you figure your daily points.
Female 2
male 8
nursing mom 12 (plus they want you to get an extra serving of dairy for calcium)

ages
17-26 4
27-37 3
38-47 2
48-58 1
over 58 0

Take the first 2 digits of your weight in pounts. (so if you weight 175 add 17 points)

Height
under 5' 1" 0
5' 1" to 5' 10" 1
over 5' 10" 2

activity level
sitting down all day (receptionist, bus driver, office worker) 0
Mainly standing w/ some sitting (sales person, housewife, cook, teacher) 2
walking most of the time (waiter, mailman) 4
physical work (nurse, gardener, construction) 6

Add all those up and that is your daily point target. A point is basically 50 calories, but fiber can make a 100 calorie item like fruit or high fiber cereal only one point and likewise fat can add points. Did you get the slide rule? It shows you the point value of anything based on calories, fat, and fiber. If you are REALLY good at match you can use the formula here http://internationalweightwatchers.info/.

So I am nursing and heavy so my points per day is 36. But that is the bare minimum to eat. Everyone also gets 35 points to use throughout the week (namely Shabbos). So everyday I can eat between 36 and 41 points because of the 35 a week points. Does that make sense?

You also should get two servings (three if nursing) of calcium rich dairy (or a supplement), drink 8 glasses of water, and eat at least five servings of fruit and vegetables.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 10:06 pm
op here_
Attention Tcup9:
That was SO helpful! I now have something to go by (I can have 31 points a day, without the additional 35 weekend points!)

Thanks to everyone for posting their tips and firsthand experiences. It's given me the drive I need to get this going!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise