Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO secular books / series for 10-11 year old girl
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:05 pm
She likes fantasy but not the really intense books.
Needs to be clean but also exciting. Running out of options.
She lovedddd land of stories. Likes Sarah Malinowskis books. The second series of little house.
Any suggestions?

Dumbledore

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:12 pm
Charlie and the chocolate factory

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:13 pm
https://www.google.com/search?.....v-713

Pretty much anything from this author. The books you could buy these days have been changed somewhat but still jolly good reads. Funnily enough, very few mentions of anything religious (they say grace, once a main chaacter prays in church that her friend will get better, they might mention that they sing a hymn at assembly), which is seems very culturally out of place for England in the 40s and 50s.

This author wrote a lot of fantasy stories also. Faraway Tree, Wishing Chair, endless titles come to mind.

Also Famous Five, Secret Seven, Five Find outers, Adventure and Mystery series are page turners.

Paddington Bear books. The original Michael Bond ones.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Sho.....4H5R5

Also good, probably changed somewhat (even the titles have been changed from the original). Might have mentions of xmas.

Reading a really great novel now called "The candy Mafia" by Lavie Tidhar. Haven't read it all the way through so not sure if it's decent all the way through.

Kosherbooks.org has some series mentioned, one is Boxcar Children and one is about fairies, I can't remember the name, but there are a bunch of books in the series that have been reviewed.

First 5 or 6 books of Critter club are fine.

Obviously, do not take someone else's word for it - you should proofread and make sure everything is to your comfort level.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:15 pm
Mary poppins
Oz books (some are super weird, but still fun)
If she liked little house, she'll enjoy betsy tacy series by Maude Hart Lovelace

sushilover

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:19 pm
Secrets of Droon series might be a little young, but worth a try. Meant for ages 7-10

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:19 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
Mary poppins
Oz books (some are super weird, but still fun)
If she liked little house, she'll enjoy betsy tacy series by Maude Hart Lovelace

These Betsy tacey ones are nice but one of them does have a part about courtship that I would not be comfortable giving my children to read. There is another series about Betsy and Billy (Carolyn Haywood), not related to this. Very sweet and cute, but the best chapter is really not appropriate, as it mentions betsy's mother having a new baby on Xmas day. Not the end of the world, but it mentions the lyrics of an xmas carol (rond young virgin, mother and child). I was so sad, as it would have been the nicest chapter of the book, with betsy waking up to find that she has a new baby sister.

Librarian

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:21 pm
Not too young for Harry Potter!
Anne of Green Gables
Little Women series

scruffy

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:23 pm
Lots of good suggestions here, I second Mary Poppins, Paddington, and Betsy Tacy (although you'll want to avoid the books later in the series for a young girl)

Edward Eager books, The Candymakers, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Andrew Clements books, Orphan Train Quartet

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:29 pm
Librarian wrote:
Anne of Green Gables
Little Women series

I would say 10 - 11 is much too young for Harry Potter. The first two or three books work well for this age, but as the series goes on it gets increasingly dark, with central characters being killed, and a plot developing on multiple levels at once.

You can't really tell a child that they can only begin a series, but then require that they stop half way through. Wait a few years, and let them appreciate the whole series at once.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:31 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mallory+towers&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS883US883&oq=mallory+towers&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDI2ODBqMGoxqAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#vhid=2894933172137798004-16-15068275276130812450-4273621578996315243--0-0&vssid=uvpv-713

Pretty much anything from this author. The books you could buy these days have been changed somewhat but still jolly good reads. Funnily enough, very few mentions of anything religious (they say grace, once a main chaacter prays in church that her friend will get better, they might mention that they sing a hymn at assembly), which is seems very culturally out of place for England in the 40s and 50s.

This author wrote a lot of fantasy stories also. Faraway Tree, Wishing Chair, endless titles come to mind.

Also Famous Five, Secret Seven, Five Find outers, Adventure and Mystery series are page turners.

If you have a kindle, many Enid Blyton books are available for free download from Faded Page.

bgr8ful

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:52 pm
if she likes history I ate up the "childhood of famous americans" books when I was around that age.

theres a fantasy series I remember reading of a boy and girl who time traveled through like a clubhouse or something to significant times in history, I cant remember what it was called and google isnt helping. theres one book where they went to the big earthquake in san francisco in the early 1900s, another to one of the battles in the revolutionary war I think... anyone know what I'm talking about?

then there are series like the babysitters club, nancy drew...

scruffy

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:05 pm
bgr8ful wrote:
if she likes history I ate up the "childhood of famous americans" books when I was around that age.

theres a fantasy series I remember reading of a boy and girl who time traveled through like a clubhouse or something to significant times in history, I cant remember what it was called and google isnt helping. theres one book where they went to the big earthquake in san francisco in the early 1900s, another to one of the battles in the revolutionary war I think... anyone know what I'm talking about?

then there are series like the babysitters club, nancy drew...

Magic Tree House? Good series but geared more toward younger kids.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:06 pm
Please do not give your daughter babysitters club books to read. There is a lot of boy-girl stuff that is so inappropriate.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:07 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
If you have a kindle, many Enid Blyton books are available for free download from Faded Page.

Hurrah! What sport. I wonder if I can work Kindle?

bgr8ful

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:08 pm
scruffy wrote:
Magic Tree House? Good series but geared more toward younger kids.

oh yea. right it is for younger kids.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:08 pm
Thanks all, although she did like little house, she doesn’t love classics. She prefers new more exciting books. She read the first four Harry Potter. I don’t let her go further

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:11 pm
Does anyone know how hoopla works

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:19 pm
Leah Cypess is a frum author who writes secular fantasy books.

Her Sisters Ever After series is about the unknown sisters of various fairy tale characters, and their adventures. It’s not a completely romance-free series, ex. princesses have handsome suitors and Sleeping Beauty is awakened by a prince’s kiss, but it’s all very clean and not the whole point of things. It’s just part of the fairytale setting and logic, and some of the books have no romance at all.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.....fter/

Also, if she likes fairytale retellings - Gail Carson Levine!! Ella Enchanted is absolutely wonderful (the movie adaptation is barely related! It has nowhere near the depth and poetry of the book).

Her original fairytale The Two Princesses of Bamarre is one of my favorites. It has a sequel that was written recently that I don’t love as much as the first book, and the first book stands on its own perfectly well.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:30 pm
When I taught 5th grade, I read The Phantom Tollbooth aloud at the end of class when we had time. Everyone enjoyed it, though some kids appreciated it more than others, it’s very very clever if you like wordplay and logic.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:37 pm
Librarian wrote:
Anne of Green Gables
Little Women series

Anne of green gables and little women are all about boy and girl feelings, lots of s-xual touching explanations.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room