Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Denver

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:07 pm
Anyone have information about the community?
Schools? Shuls? Community resources like eruv, shopping, restaurants, mikveh? What zipcodes do frum people live in?

Job may want us to transfer there so wanted to know if it is even feasible.

Somewhere left of yeshivish but right of MO- cover hair fully, tights/knee socks, long sleeves. We have kids of both genders. We want decent academics in schools without lots of media/movie references...
Does this make sense about us?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:03 am
Bump

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:35 am
Bumping again...
Anyone have recent information about the community?

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:01 am
I don't live there, but have visited a few times. Since nobody else is responding, there are 3 main frum communities there. The west side has a shul called Zera Avraham and is considered the yeshivish area. I believe the yeshiva high school and Bais Yaakov are also there, and possibly the kollel. When we visited it didn't feel like the nicest area, and unfortunately this is where a student in the yeshiva was tragically murdered a couple years ago. There is a very nice lake in the area that some frum people liked to walk around, and I've heard the area has gentrified due to a train that facilitates commuting to downtown.

The east side is more MO and has several shuls, as well as one that's a bit more to the right. I think it's called Bais Yisrael. This area is nicer aesthetically, though much more expensive.

Then there's the southeast that's where Aish Denver is. It has been very successful and has a big community with a large percentage of baalei teshuvah. I believe the kollel has opened a branch there as well. I think real estate here is in between the other two, but I'm not positive.

I don't know zip codes, but look up these shuls and then check out the areas around them. I believe all 3 neighborhoods are about a 15 minute drive apart, but not walkable on Shabbos.

I don't know much about the schools, but I believe there's a more RW elementary school called Hillel with genders separated, and a coed MO school that I know nothing about.

For food there's the East Side kosher deli and a pizza place and maybe a couple more options as well. Hope that's helpful.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:46 pm
Thanks. Do you know anything about what "types" live in Denver? When you say yeshivish, is it Lakewood type or OOT? Are they kollel or just "my kids don't listen to secular music" type?
What do you mean about one area not being nice?

Whats the crime rate?

We live in a large OOT community and realize definitions change.
I would love to hear pros/cons of Denver.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:59 pm
I think you would fit in well in Denver based on the little that you described. We lived there for a short time, and found it to be a very wholesome, warm community. We were sad to move away. There are not that many "yeshivish" families in the social Lakewood/NY definition of yeshivish. Maybe a small number among the rebbeim. Otherwise there are lots of families who hashkafically are very frum - are keeping halacha, minimizing secular exposures, etc - but without "yeshivish culture"/shtick if you know what I mean.
This being said, there's a huge range of types as it is an out-of-town community.
The west side as a whole is more to the right and I think might be a good fit for you, but the neighborhood itself is less than desirable, as it is more city-like. Not in a dangerous way like Baltimore, much safer than baltimore. But there are all these weird homeless people very drugged up, on street corners. No exaggeration. I never saw anything like it. For example, it would not be uncommon to see someone passed out sidewalk until an ambulance comes. So these people are not necessarily dangerous, but just very unpleasant.
I think the southeast and East neighborhoods are much nicer and safer. But I think you will also find more of a mix, there may be more families with media than you'd like.
Overall, it really is a beautiful community. Definitely worth checking out. Housing is very expensive. Food is also more expensive, but not much more than any oot place. There is walmart, Costco, etc and then you can buy from the kosher store.

The mountains are a 30 minute drive, and visible from many parts of the city. Part of the culture is visiting the mountains for activities like hiking, etc. There are so many places to see that it never gets old.

The people were very friendly and wholesome.

It's hard to be that far away though if you don't have any family in the area.

Apologies for what I know came out as a random jumble of different thoughts! I only had a minute but wanted to give you my impressions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:45 pm
Can anyone give zipcodes for housing searches in each area? Just want to know if we will even be able to afford it.
I don't want drugged up homeless on street corners... I see that too much where I live!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:19 pm
this will give you a pretty good idea of areas to look:
https://denvereruv.org/denver-eruv-map

I dont live there but heavily considered it and have visited a number of times-it is way more expensive than I anticipated!

I think you would fit in in any of the neighborhoods there tbh. highly recommend the people, but I guess I thought given that it's "out of the way," it would be slightly more affordable than my tri state living. things might be cooking price-wise now though, I was looking a couple years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating