Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If you live in Florida …
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:00 pm
Do you love it every day or does living in Florida become regular living after a while?

We go to Florida for a few days in the winter. We’ve been to Hollywood, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando… and it’s just always so nice. The warm weather just puts you in a good mood. The clear skies, palm trees, nice houses, swimming pools, relaxed atmosphere all around.

I know that when we’re there we are on vacation but it just seems like EVERYONE is on vacation mode.
Would I feel different if I was living regular day to day life?

I spoke to a frum couple with young kids and they said the kids get out of school early and spend hours outside each day… she said they used to live in New York and her kids came home and spent the rest of the day in their 6th floor apartment. They have a different life now.

My kids are teens. Wouldn’t they be bogged down with homework like they are now?
Would they also spend hours outside?

It just seems so depressing to come back home. We landed in the middle of the night to freezing cold and snow flurries. 2 hours earlier we were sitting with palm trees in 70 degree weather…
Why doesn’t everyone live in Florida?
It just seems so nice…

Am I looking at it from the eyes of a vacationer?

I keep telling my family that in another 3 months we will have Florida weather by us too. And then it will be summer…

But it seems like a bracha to be able to live in the summer all year round..

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:51 pm
I moved to Florida 3 years ago- I can honestly tell you, we never want to leave- even in the summer when it’s boiling, it’s still just a different feeling living here. Slower pace of life. It is very expensive here for everything, but if you can afford it, I would highly recommend- if you’re not too picky. We had a hard time finding my daughter a place for high school- the first high school didn’t work out so we had to go a little more “modern” for her- we ended up switching all our high school kids their because the education is by far amazing- but in the tristate area, there is no way I would have considered the school she is in.
I get out of work at 4:15 and I have the whole day ahead of me- it is really amazing in that aspect. I used to pick up my kids in NJ and couldn’t wait tot just go to sleep because it was dark and cold.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:56 pm
I do love it, but life here is expensive, so I'm definitely not in vacation mode. We have to work hard like everyone else! My (elementary) kids don't have a ton of homework but they're in school 830-4 and they have a commute. It feels like life does everywhere, except that it gets dark a little later, and it's warm and usually sunny.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:58 pm
I go walking almost every night - but it depends what neighborhood you live in if you’ll feel the difference of the people because you might end up in the middle of Brooklyn even if you move to Florida.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:00 pm
We also all have work and homework, school functions- when ppl visit, they don’t realize that- so everyone that you know from NY area will call you when their coming to town and expect you to be able to house them in the middle of a crazy work/school week.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:06 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
I moved to Florida 3 years ago- I can honestly tell you, we never want to leave- even in the summer when it’s boiling, it’s still just a different feeling living here. Slower pace of life. It is very expensive here for everything, but if you can afford it, I would highly recommend- if you’re not too picky. We had a hard time finding my daughter a place for high school- the first high school didn’t work out so we had to go a little more “modern” for her- we ended up switching all our high school kids their because the education is by far amazing- but in the tristate area, there is no way I would have considered the school she is in.
I get out of work at 4:15 and I have the whole day ahead of me- it is really amazing in that aspect. I used to pick up my kids in NJ and couldn’t wait tot just go to sleep because it was dark and cold.

The bolded is exactly what I do…

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:08 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
I go walking almost every night - but it depends what neighborhood you live in if you’ll feel the difference of the people because you might end up in the middle of Brooklyn even if you move to Florida.

Yes, I understand. I went to a park yesterday in Kissimmee that looked gorgeous but it was full of low class people… and lots of dogs. My kids were afraid of the dogs but I was more afraid of the crowd.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:10 pm
[quote="amother Oxfordblue"]We also all have work and homework, school functions- when ppl visit, they don’t realize that- so everyone that you know from NY area will call you when their coming to town and expect you to be able to house them in the middle of a crazy work/school week.[/quote]

That sounds really hard.
Yes, it makes sense that you are living regular life. I just didn’t meet too many people who are living normal life. No one seemed stressed. That’s why I was asking if it’s really like that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:11 pm
How much is tuition? For girls high school?
Is there an option for yeshivish high school boys too?

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:13 pm
Huge brocha to be able to live here in FL.
Very grateful every day B”H.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:22 pm
I think like most things in life, whatever you grow up with is normal to you. I grew up in Florida. It was all I ever knew so it was normal to me. Fast forward 20 years. I’m living in New York since I’m married. When we go to Florida my kids think it’s a big vacation but to me it’s just regular home.

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:34 pm
I know you asked about Florida but the way you feel there is the way I feel moving from Brooklyn to my private tremendous house in Toms River.
It's been over 4 years and I still feel like I'm on vacation. Even when it's winter.
It's unbelievable what a big living space can do to your brain. Life is so calm for me here.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:36 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
I know you asked about Florida but the way you feel there is the way I feel moving from Brooklyn to my private tremendous house in Toms River.
It's been over 4 years and I still feel like I'm on vacation. Even when it's winter.
It's unbelievable what a big living space can do to your brain. Life is so calm for me here.
same. Just got back from Florida and was so happy to go home. I have everything I need here and I don’t have to deal with heat and mosquitoes year round.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:42 pm
Honestly, I grew up in Florida (Miami area) and hated the heat. Yes, there is a slower pace of life than New York, but you don't feel like you're on vacation every minute. And going from a cramped apartment to a normal sized house with a backyard can feel great, no matter the weather.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:42 pm
It’s expensive, but every school gives breaks- and also the government give 7.5-10k towards ttuition for kids in private school.it depends which category you fall under. My kids get 10k because they have a penicillin allergy( yeah I know it’s weird but it’s one of their categories to get more )

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:04 pm
I could not handle Florida in the summer

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you love it every day or does living in Florida become regular living after a while?

We go to Florida for a few days in the winter. We’ve been to Hollywood, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando… and it’s just always so nice. The warm weather just puts you in a good mood. The clear skies, palm trees, nice houses, swimming pools, relaxed atmosphere all around.

I know that when we’re there we are on vacation but it just seems like EVERYONE is on vacation mode.
Would I feel different if I was living regular day to day life?

I spoke to a frum couple with young kids and they said the kids get out of school early and spend hours outside each day… she said they used to live in New York and her kids came home and spent the rest of the day in their 6th floor apartment. They have a different life now.

My kids are teens. Wouldn’t they be bogged down with homework like they are now?
Would they also spend hours outside?

It just seems so depressing to come back home. We landed in the middle of the night to freezing cold and snow flurries. 2 hours earlier we were sitting with palm trees in 70 degree weather…
Why doesn’t everyone live in Florida?
It just seems so nice…

Am I looking at it from the eyes of a vacationer?

I keep telling my family that in another 3 months we will have Florida weather by us too. And then it will be summer…

But it seems like a bracha to be able to live in the summer all year round..

The relaxed atmosphere is just life out of town. My kids spend hours outside. Life is at a much slower pace.

I happen to be from s. Florida originally. I think NY is amazing to visit, but I was very unhappy living there. I spentnmuch more time walking outside in Brooklyn than living in Florida. We drove everywhere. And it gets disgustingly hot in Florida.

Life isn't a vacation. Reality is very different.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:04 pm
I live in south Florida for over ten years. We have regular busy lives but like others said it is at a slower pace. Our kids play outside a lot but that doesn't mean they don't have homework like the rest of the world. I find my favorite part is that if I ever need a vacation I can take a mini vacation (in nice weather) even for a half a day. No flying necessary. We have everything a vacationer needs close by ex: beach, restaurants, hotels etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:11 pm
The thing is- I do live in a large house. But it doesn’t make me feel as happy as I feel when I’m in Florida. It’s something about the bright sun and warm weather. In general, I hate the heat. I spend the whole summer indoors with the air conditioning running high.
I barely even know how to swim and haven’t put on a bathing suit in many years!

I love the 65-70 degree weather which is what it often is in Florida when we go in the winter. (Last year when we were there it was 80 degrees.. and I was too hot!) I like the bright sun and the fact that it gets darker much later.
I also like watching my usually stressed out kids suddenly relax. They like to swim. The warm air is good for them. They seem so happy…

I’m not like the poster above who was happy to come home to her big house. I wasn’t happy to come home to the freezing cold. Even my house has a chill.

Maybe I just need to work on being thankful for the good I have and stop wishing for something else because life is never going to be perfect.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:13 pm
I grew up in North Miami and I really hated it as a kid, as did most of my friends. It didn’t feel like vacationing for us, just regular life except lots of humidity, bugs, and rain. And the occasional hurricane, iguanas in your house or alligator walking around the neighborhood. We used to visit my relatives in the tri-state each winter and that was what I looked forward to all year- snow!

I agree with the poster who said it’s the space that makes the difference, not the weather. BH we live in a nice house with big backyard, my kids play outside or go swimming during the summer, get to experience the fun snow activities etc. I would personally never move back to Florida, I don’t even like visiting. Id much rather vacation somewhere with dry heat lol
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating