Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Dh thinks I am being underpaid.....
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:35 pm
I live in Monsey and have been working at the same yeshiva office for 8 years now (Prior to this job I had 3-4 yrs office experience as well).
I have many responsibilities there including running government programs, taking care of and preparing checks for all incoming invoices as well as many other small and bigger jobs.
When I first started the job I was paid $20 an hour, after a year my pay was raised to $25 an hour and close to 2 years ago it was raised again to $30 an hour.
I always felt like my pay was fair.
I dont have any specific qualifications (like bookkeeping) but learned how to use quickbooks and how the government programs run on the job.
I know that my boss is happy with my work and I think he feels like he is paying me fairly.
However my husband has done research and also has a business where he pays secretary's (more than 30) and he is telling me that I am being very much underpaid based on my experience and the years I have been there.
He wants me to ask for a big raise or look for a higher paying job (please no bashing dh, he is amazing and just doesn't want me being taken advantage of).
I should also mention that the yeshiva is a bit tight now so I would feel bad to ask for more money however in the scheme of things it's probably not going to make a huge difference.
I would love in anyone with similar type of secretarial jobs could please chime in and say how much you are getting paid per hour?
Also, let me know if you think I am being underpaid.
Thanks in advance

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:39 pm
I work in a school and when it comes to salaries husbands call all the time.
They’re always sure that there’s a mistake with the salary and their wives are underpaid.
Have dh call, it’s super common!

Einikel

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:40 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
They’re always sure that there’s a mistake with the salary and their wives are underpaid.

Really?! Sounds so immature.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:41 pm
I don’t know about schools specifically, but $30 is very low IME and more along the lines of a starting salary, which isn’t cool if you’ve been there 8 years..

nursemom1

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:42 pm
What? Is that a joke? If you are an adult with a job you should be the one asking not your husband. I think you can ask for a raise given your years of experience but I’m not sure how much of a raise is realistic.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:43 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:

I would be so embarrassed if my DH ever called my boss to discuss my salary, like a parent taking care of a child. If I’m old enough to work, I’m old enough to handle all that it entails (like sometimes having awkward or confrontational conversations..)

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:44 pm
You can ask for a raise but a yeshiva is different than a for profit business and likely pays less. I work for a non profit in Lakewood and I don’t make those impressive salaries that other office jobs here sometimes get

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:48 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
You can ask for a raise but a yeshiva is different than a for profit business and likely pays less. I work for a non profit in Lakewood and I don’t make those impressive salaries that other office jobs here sometimes get

Does anyone else think this is true?

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:48 pm
I have about 8 years experience in the same field and make in the low 20s. I am OOT though, so that might make a difference.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does anyone else think this is true?

I don’t have experience working with either but would assume that the school operates a little differently than charity organizations which are solely running on donations. A school may have a portion of donors and charity campaigns but they still are a business at the end of the day. I wouldn’t look at it with the same lens, personally

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:55 pm
I would consider that on the low end of normal. If your school is tight, it's not likely that they can afford more. I would think that it would be reasonable to ask for a salary vs being paid by the hour.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 5:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I live in Monsey and have been working at the same yeshiva office for 8 years now (Prior to this job I had 3-4 yrs office experience as well).
I have many responsibilities there including running government programs, taking care of and preparing checks for all incoming invoices as well as many other small and bigger jobs.
When I first started the job I was paid $20 an hour, after a year my pay was raised to $25 an hour and close to 2 years ago it was raised again to $30 an hour.
I always felt like my pay was fair.
I dont have any specific qualifications (like bookkeeping) but learned how to use quickbooks and how the government programs run on the job.
I know that my boss is happy with my work and I think he feels like he is paying me fairly.
However my husband has done research and also has a business where he pays secretary's (more than 30) and he is telling me that I am being very much underpaid based on my experience and the years I have been there.
He wants me to ask for a big raise or look for a higher paying job (please no bashing dh, he is amazing and just doesn't want me being taken advantage of).
I should also mention that the yeshiva is a bit tight now so I would feel bad to ask for more money however in the scheme of things it's probably not going to make a huge difference.
I would love in anyone with similar type of secretarial jobs could please chime in and say how much you are getting paid per hour?
Also, let me know if you think I am being underpaid.
Thanks in advance

I have a masters degree in a health field and make 41 dollars an hour. I’m definitely being underpaid. My husband also feels that way and encourages me to ask for a raise every year. (They won’t give without me asking)

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 6:07 pm
so your for sure getting paid to the lower side.
the question is if they can afford to increase you

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:22 pm
amother Jean wrote:
I have about 8 years experience in the same field and make in the low 20s. I am OOT though, so that might make a difference.

Being OOT definitely makes a difference. Different cost of living = different salary.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:26 pm
Are you replaceable for less? That’s the problem sometimes, when they can theoretically hire someone (seminary grad?) to replace you for less money so it’s not worth it for them to pay you more. Can’t hurt to ask though.

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:28 pm
I also work in a school office, and yes, we are underpaid purely on the numbers. BUT there are perks that make it worth it. Tuition discount. Being on pretty much the same schedule as my kids. Having erev yt off, plus those extra days before pesach etc. If you have any of that going for you, that counts for something.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:31 pm
I live in Lakewood

I work part time and it hasn’t been a year yet.

He recently raised me from $30 to $35.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Holly wrote:
I don’t know about schools specifically, but $30 is very low IME and more along the lines of a starting salary, which isn’t cool if you’ve been there 8 years..

It may not be cool but it's the way it works.
When someone is hired later on and standard salaries have increased the newer hire may often start out getting paid equal or more than experienced employees.
I started a job that going rate was 75k. While I was working there I found out an employee who had been there for many years (more than 8) and was actually a higher position than me had just gotten a raise to 75k.
When she started the going rate was significantly less and she got steady increases but not a large bump. She would have been better off leaving and going elsewhere. She would have made much more. That's the way things work

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:45 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
I also work in a school office, and yes, we are underpaid purely on the numbers. BUT there are perks that make it worth it. Tuition discount. Being on pretty much the same schedule as my kids. Having erev yt off, plus those extra days before pesach etc. If you have any of that going for you, that counts for something.

Tks for your reply.
No tuition discounts for me because the yeshiva is not connected to my kids schools.
I also don't get off when my kids get off, think mid winter vacation, chanukah vacation.
I get 2-3 days off before pesach and dont work on chol hamoed.
They are very understanding if I need to take off for travel or appointments.

wanttobehappy

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:51 pm
I just read that people who are liking to change jobs every 2/3 years earn the most… not the life I prefer…
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics