Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Dh thinks I am being underpaid.....
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:59 pm
I am fascinate by the salaries and expectations.
I am a hospital social worker with an MS degree. I make $35/hour. RDs with MS degrees make the same. My RN friend make in the low - mid 40’s, the CNAs, who are expected to provide love and wipe behinds make $18-28 based on years experience and the unit secretary make $23.

They all work really hard, are on a ridged schedule, and provide patient care which is both physically and mentally not easy. We work year round, we don’t get off for holidays (Yom Tov, non jewish, or federal). And I don’t believe I need to tell you how difficult some patients are demanding some families can be.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:04 pm
I wouldn’t harp on the exact number that you are being paid. Everyone deserves to have a raise- if not annually, then close to it. He started you out at a fair price, but hasn’t kept up with increases/inflation. I def don’t think ur DH should call. Come prepared with numbers. When I asked my boss for a raise, he said no. Then I came back to him after doing research in the field and showed him what others were paying the same position and the common percentage of increases and then he knew I was serious about looking elsewhere and what was the going rate was and he acquiesced.
Good luck!

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:12 pm
amother Viola wrote:
I wouldn’t harp on the exact number that you are being paid. Everyone deserves to have a raise- if not annually, then close to it. He started you out at a fair price, but hasn’t kept up with increases/inflation. I def don’t think ur DH should call. Come prepared with numbers. When I asked my boss for a raise, he said no. Then I came back to him after doing research in the field and showed him what others were paying the same position and the common percentage of increases and then he knew I was serious about looking elsewhere and what was the going rate was and he acquiesced.
Good luck!

This makes a lot of sense.

Also, regardless of what others are making right now, you have definitely put in your time and deserve a raise.

Happy for you that you have a wonderful husband that lifts you up and see your worth.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:13 pm
What number are you guys thinking is justified? Curious!

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:16 pm
I live in Monsey and work at an office for 8 years started out in low 20s and now earning about $45/ $50 (I'm salary so not sure what the hourly rate actually is) I have no qualifications other than this specific job experience. I do think you're underpaid for your years of experience in this company. However I dont think changing jobs is the solution. You are obviously comfortable at your job. I'd think you should negotiate a raise even if they can't commit a big increase at once, perhaps $5 every 6mo to bring your rate to $45

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:22 pm
I do want to mention I made sure to discuss a raise every year on my hire anniversary. There were years I was more assertive and some years I was ok with a small percentage. If I wouldn't request the raise I'd be at the same pay rate you are and my company would never agree to raise me $15 in one shot even if I'm earning below the market rate. I have some coworkers same number of years earning far less than me.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:26 pm
quit and work for your DH instead Smile

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:37 pm
amother Quince wrote:
I live in Monsey and work at an office for 8 years started out in low 20s and now earning about $45/ $50 (I'm salary so not sure what the hourly rate actually is) I have no qualifications other than this specific job experience. I do think you're underpaid for your years of experience in this company. However I dont think changing jobs is the solution. You are obviously comfortable at your job. I'd think you should negotiate a raise even if they can't commit a big increase at once, perhaps $5 every 6mo to bring your rate to $45

That sounds pretty high to me. (I asked her a couple months ago if $35 for a supervisory position is low or not and everyone felt it was a bit low but normal.) What is your position? Secretary, supervisor, manager...?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:40 pm
amother Quince wrote:

That is an incredibly high salary for basic office work with no degree. And a huge raise over only 8 years.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:43 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
I am fascinate by the salaries and expectations.
I am a hospital social worker with an MS degree. I make $35/hour. RDs with MS degrees make the same. My RN friend make in the low - mid 40’s, the CNAs, who are expected to provide love and wipe behinds make $18-28 based on years experience and the unit secretary make $23.

They all work really hard, are on a ridged schedule, and provide patient care which is both physically and mentally not easy. We work year round, we don’t get off for holidays (Yom Tov, non jewish, or federal). And I don’t believe I need to tell you how difficult some patients are demanding some families can be.

Same. These expectations are so clearly specific to the unique intown frum bubble.

I work in tech, have a degree, and 15 years experience.

I earn $120,000 annually plus benefits which works out to about $70 an hour.

In what world does someone in high tech with experience and degree earn $70 after benefits and a secretary in Lakewood with zero degree or experience is getting a starting salary of $40 to $50 an hour? I started in my field earning around $25 an hour.

Im happy for them but it doesnt mean that a secretary in a yeshiva earning $30 is underpaid.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:55 pm
It seems way underpaid to me.
Your boss can not replace you easily since you know all the ins and outs of the place. You run their office and legal stuff, so you're value is way more than a beginner. sure you can and should ask for a raise. Your husband is right. Good luck!

A Substitute assistant for a nursery class makes approx $35 an hour.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:33 am
amother Clematis wrote:
It seems way underpaid to me.
Your boss can not replace you easily since you know all the ins and outs of the place. You run their office and legal stuff, so you're value is way more than a beginner. sure you can and should ask for a raise. Your husband is right. Good luck!

A Substitute assistant for a nursery class makes approx $35 an hour.

re the bolded... no way. not where I live. I was recently paid $17/hr to sub in a nursery Sad Not really worth my while... is this part of the in town bubble that posters are talking about?

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:34 am
amother Hosta wrote:
re the bolded... no way. not where I live. I was recently paid $17/hr to sub in a nursery Sad Not really worth my while... is this part of the in town bubble that posters are talking about?
in lakewood

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:37 am
I want to add that I'm impressed by your devotion and you are considering not asking for a raise since you know that they are tight, but it really shouldn't be your concern. If you deserve a raise then ask for it. Their financial status is not your concern.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:37 am
amother Clematis wrote:
in lakewood

OMG time for me to move to Lakewood then? But I guess all the lakewood parents must be paying way more to the playgroups and nurseries, if the morahs are having to pay their subs that much!

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:40 am
Einikel wrote:
Really?! Sounds so immature.

Correct but effective. I have learned to hold my nose and let dh do the heavy lifting. Unfortunately it works...cant argue with success...

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:41 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
Same. These expectations are so clearly specific to the unique intown frum bubble.

In what world does someone in high tech with experience and degree earn $70 after benefits and a secretary in Lakewood with zero degree or experience is getting a starting salary of $40 to $50 an hour? I started in my field earning around $25 an hour.

Im happy for them but it doesnt mean that a secretary in a yeshiva earning $30 is underpaid.

Where I live, the cleaning ladies demand the highest salaries and get them. Mine drives a Mercedes... Its all about supply and demand...

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 7:12 am
amother Mulberry wrote:

Yes agreed. I have about 5 years experience in my field after going to a masters degree health related field and earn 41 an hour. Started at about 35.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 7:19 am
I posted upthread about yeshivos being different than for profit businesses.

I disagree with the poster who said not to change jobs. If this means a lot to you (not your dh) and you’d be happier elsewhere, by all means, change.

I used to work at a for profit. I asked for a raise so that I should be making more than the new girl they had hired who had barely any experience (they started her at the same salary as me). They said no. I left as soon as I found a new opportunity. But there were other things about that first place that bothered me as well, I didn’t enjoy the actual work, I was paid hourly vs salary, one of the bosses wasn’t so nice…
I left and it took them over a year to find a replacement.

I think you should think about what a reasonable request is (I recently asked for a raise at my non profit and got 2/3 of what I asked for, not the whole thing. I’m happy enough. I understand their limitations and I love my job.)

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 9:04 am
$30 an hour sounds very reasonable for a secretary to me. It’s not a job that they specifically need someone with experience for.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics