Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Dh thinks I am being underpaid.....
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 9:32 am
amother Clematis wrote:
It seems way underpaid to me.
Your boss can not replace you easily since you know all the ins and outs of the place. You run their office and legal stuff, so you're value is way more than a beginner. sure you can and should ask for a raise. Your husband is right. Good luck!

A Substitute assistant for a nursery class makes approx $35 an hour.

Seriously?? Where I live the assistants are paid $20,000/year full time in the Jewish day school. I know this because I received a job offer and turned it down because I thought it was absolutely ridiculous.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 9:34 am
amother Coral wrote:
Seriously?? Where I live the assistants are paid $20,000/year full time in the Jewish day school. I know this because I received a job offer and turned it down because I thought it was absolutely ridiculous.

is that full time or part time? where I live they get paid closer to $12,000 a year for 5 hours a day parttime!

Growing

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 9:39 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
I am fascinate by the salaries and expectations.
I am a hospital social worker with an MS degree. I make $35/hour. RDs with MS degrees make the same. My RN friend make in the low - mid 40’s, the CNAs, who are expected to provide love and wipe behinds make $18-28 based on years experience and the unit secretary make $23.

They all work really hard, are on a ridged schedule, and provide patient care which is both physically and mentally not easy. We work year round, we don’t get off for holidays (Yom Tov, non jewish, or federal). And I don’t believe I need to tell you how difficult some patients are demanding some families can be.

Wow
You people should get private tips or something
I'm totally in awe
You really do deserve to earn more

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 9:40 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
Same. These expectations are so clearly specific to the unique intown frum bubble.

I work in tech, have a degree, and 15 years experience.

I earn $120,000 annually plus benefits which works out to about $70 an hour.

In what world does someone in high tech with experience and degree earn $70 after benefits and a secretary in Lakewood with zero degree or experience is getting a starting salary of $40 to $50 an hour? I started in my field earning around $25 an hour.

Im happy for them but it doesnt mean that a secretary in a yeshiva earning $30 is underpaid.

Is this in NY? Full time or P/T?

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 9:55 am
notshanarishona wrote:
$30 an hour sounds very reasonable for a secretary to me. It’s not a job that they specifically need someone with experience for.

Actually Someone without experience cannot do her job. They can learn it and it takes time. She mentioned that she runs government programs and invoicing. In NY- invoicing for a school means knowing the codes, titles, what you can or cannot order, where you can order from. Headstart, daycare afterschool, bussing and other programs also have constant changes and one needs to know the ins and outs. So the school might be willing to give her somewhat of a raise instead of having the headache of training someone new.
I happen to do a certain school related job that my salary comes from DOE and it’s more than 30/hr. OP if you are helping with these programs then you should ask for a raise- it should come from that budget as opposed to the tuition money parents pay.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 10:16 am
amother Clematis wrote:
It seems way underpaid to me.
Your boss can not replace you easily since you know all the ins and outs of the place. You run their office and legal stuff, so you're value is way more than a beginner. sure you can and should ask for a raise. Your husband is right. Good luck!

A Substitute assistant for a nursery class makes approx $35 an hour.

I thats because they are desperate, not because thats the going rate. Its either they shut down since they have no substitute and have angry parents or pay a fortune since theyre desperate and keep parents happy.
That doesnt fly everywhere

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 11:43 am
amother Brass wrote:
Actually Someone without experience cannot do her job. They can learn it and it takes time. She mentioned that she runs government programs and invoicing. In NY- invoicing for a school means knowing the codes, titles, what you can or cannot order, where you can order from. Headstart, daycare afterschool, bussing and other programs also have constant changes and one needs to know the ins and outs. So the school might be willing to give her somewhat of a raise instead of having the headache of training someone new.
I happen to do a certain school related job that my salary comes from DOE and it’s more than 30/hr. OP if you are helping with these programs then you should ask for a raise- it should come from that budget as opposed to the tuition money parents pay.

Thanks for this reply and thanks to all of you who took the time to share your thoughts.
I agree with the above post, even though when I started there 8 years ago technically anyone could have done and learned on the job...right now I have alot of responsibility there and take care of many important things.
I know the ins and outs of the government programs very well and realistically it would take a long time for them to train someone else into doing everything that I do. (besides for that, I would probably need to do the training as no one else at my office knows my job as well)
I am definitely going to ask for a raise, the question is how much?
Can I jump from $30 to $40 an hour? Or is it too much of an ask keeping in mind that they are tight...

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 11:55 am
Yes 40/hr is doable. As I said- ask for it to be part of a DOE salary. But it might be a ten month paycheck.
I don’t want to give too many details about what I do but I get more than that.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for this reply and thanks to all of you who took the time to share your thoughts.
I agree with the above post, even though when I started there 8 years ago technically anyone could have done and learned on the job...right now I have alot of responsibility there and take care of many important things.
I know the ins and outs of the government programs very well and realistically it would take a long time for them to train someone else into doing everything that I do. (besides for that, I would probably need to do the training as no one else at my office knows my job as well)
Can I jump from $30 to $40 an hour? Or is it too much of an ask keeping in mind that they are tight...

That’s a big raise but you can ask. Don’t have dh ask that’s ridiculous.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:03 pm
amother Holly wrote:
I don’t know about schools specifically, but $30 is very low IME and more along the lines of a starting salary, which isn’t cool if you’ve been there 8 years..

Are you serious? That’s low? I don’t live in NJ/NY but work in a school doing other stuff (something very specific don’t want to out myself) and I make about $20 an hour . How I wish to be a secretary for $30

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:11 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Are you serious? That’s low? I don’t live in NJ/NY but work in a school doing other stuff (something very specific don’t want to out myself) and I make about $20 an hour . How I wish to be a secretary for $30

My dd works in education outside of tristate nj,ny,ct. she earns about 20/hr plus overtime.
We are talking about NY here- different budget.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:13 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
is that full time or part time? where I live they get paid closer to $12,000 a year for 5 hours a day parttime!

Full-time!

8-4 and 8-2 Fridays

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:18 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
I live in Lakewood

I work part time and it hasn’t been a year yet.

He recently raised me from $30 to $35.

What do u do that u got a $5 in less then a year?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:21 pm
amother Brass wrote:
Yes 40/hr is doable. As I said- ask for it to be part of a DOE salary. But it might be a ten month paycheck.
I don’t want to give too many details about what I do but I get more than that.

Can I ask you to explain what DOE salary means and how it would change things?
My boss is not so knowledgeable in the business world so I'm wandering if that would confuse him

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:22 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
I work in a school and when it comes to salaries husbands call all the time.
They’re always sure that there’s a mistake with the salary and their wives are underpaid.
Have dh call, it’s super common!

Do not!! So babyish and looks like you don’t know how to talk for yourself

dumommy

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:32 pm
its so normal by them because men always get payed more than woman and they usually like to splurge more too!

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think it’s ok to ask for a $10/hour raise especially since inflation.
I work in my office for 8 years too, recently asked for a $12/hour raise. It took them 4 months and some back and forth for them to get back to me but in the end I got it.

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:56 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:

Salaries are higher because everything else is too. And it's considered low because it barely covers cost of living, unless your single and living at home with little to no expenses.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 1:03 pm
amother Quince wrote:
I live in Monsey and work at an office for 8 years started out in low 20s and now earning about $45/ $50 (I'm salary so not sure what the hourly rate actually is) I have no qualifications other than this specific job experience. I do think you're underpaid for your years of experience in this company. However I dont think changing jobs is the solution. You are obviously comfortable at your job. I'd think you should negotiate a raise even if they can't commit a big increase at once, perhaps $5 every 6mo to bring your rate to $45

How many hours a week do you work?

$45 to $50 an hour is equivalent to 90k to 100k working 40 hours a week.

amother
Viola

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 1:17 pm
Definitely ask for the $10 increase. It’s always better to aim for higher and this way when they try to negotiate you have more wiggle room. Make sure they know this is a few YEARS worth of an increase. So let’s say standard increase is 5%, go back to the last time he raised you and multiply 5% for each year.

If you work 40 hrs a week, a $10 increase is 20k per year. I personally wouldn’t ask my boss for that much at once- but he’s rly stingy and getting 2k out of him is hard enough! Although It sounds like a lot at once shot, definitely try it since you haven’t received one in quite a while. And it would really add up to a few thousand per year.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics