Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
14 and 15 year olds flying together
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 8:28 pm
my girls will be flying to family domestically
anyone has any experience which airline is best for them? I tried booking united but it gave me a hard time when I entered their dates of birth.

any info is helpful!

yy

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 8:35 pm
Southwest

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 8:47 pm
ty they don't fly this route

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 8:55 pm
United a website is super glitchy if you’re doing anything out of the ordinary. They’re very helpful booking on the phone when I’ve had issues online and they waive the phone booking fee once they hear I tried myself first.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 9:12 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
United a website is super glitchy if you’re doing anything out of the ordinary. They’re very helpful booking on the phone when I’ve had issues online and they waive the phone booking fee once they hear I tried myself first.

but is this allowed? 15 year old accompanying a 14 year old

effess

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:07 pm
You will need to pay unaccompanied minor fees.
The reason it’s not wWorking is because the birthday is showing an unusual situation.
15 is not old enough to be the adult for the 14 year old

effess

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:08 pm
You can search online which airlines allow which ages to fly without extra fees.

effess

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:11 pm
I checked

Jet blue
Southwest
Hawaiian
West jet
Air Canada
Alaskan

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
but is this allowed? 15 year old accompanying a 14 year old

Not on United, unless they’re both 15 or with someone who’s 18 you’d have to pay the fee each way for the 14 year old.

amother
Ebony

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:14 pm
my 15 yr old and 12 yr old just flew domestically. United airlines. what we did was lied about the yr of birth on the booking for both. then called back a wk before the flight and corrected the yr of birth. 15 and up allows you to print the board pass 24 hrs before but the 12 yr old can only be done at the check in with a chaperone over 18. They flew out of Newark, and had no problems on the way out. there were other yidden on the flight that we would've asked if necessary but the airline didn't seem to care abt their age. On the return trip home, the airline did make a big deal about who's watching the 12 yr old, so they went over to a frum man on line and asked him to be their chaperone and he happily agreed and it went smooth the rest of the time.
so basically, for united, under 15 you need to rely on the fact they might have to ask someone to chaperone in the airport so if its not a very jewish occupied airport, or common jewish time to fly, you might be a bit stuck. also your kids have to be the not shy type..

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:16 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
my 15 yr old and 12 yr old just flew domestically. United airlines. what we did was lied about the yr of birth on the booking for both. then called back a wk before the flight and corrected the yr of birth. 15 and up allows you to print the board pass 24 hrs before but the 12 yr old can only be done at the check in with a chaperone over 18. They flew out of Newark, and had no problems on the way out. there were other yidden on the flight that we would've asked if necessary but the airline didn't seem to care abt their age. On the return trip home, the airline did make a big deal about who's watching the 12 yr old, so they went over to a frum man on line and asked him to be their chaperone and he happily agreed and it went smooth the rest of the time.
so basically, for united, under 15 you need to rely on the fact they might have to ask someone to chaperone in the airport so if its not a very jewish occupied airport, or common jewish time to fly, you might be a bit stuck. also your kids have to be the not shy type..

I wouldn't take chances with 2 teens flying alone.

amother
Ebony

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:24 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
I wouldn't take chances with 2 teens flying alone.

please note mine were 2 boys. with a cell phone, and the not shy - confident type.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:27 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
please note mine were 2 boys. with a cell phone, and the not shy - confident type.

I'm sure OP's kids will have a phone with them, but I still wouldn't leave it up to chance with 2 teens by themselves. I don't think it's a safe plan.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:34 pm
amother Ebony wrote:

thank you so much ! so if my husband walks them into the airport , is this sufficient. or it has to be someone actually on the flight ?

effess

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
thank you so much ! so if my husband walks them into the airport , is this sufficient. or it has to be someone actually on the flight ?

The adult must be someone on the flight

amother
Ebony

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:51 pm
effess wrote:
The adult must be someone on the flight

this is correct. has to be someone on their exact flight.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 11:00 pm
I would so much rather find an airline that allowed this...

malksters

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 11:17 pm
A 15 year old can accompany a younger child on many airlines and you can book it online. My kids have done it many times on Spirit, jetblue, Alaskan and Southwest. I don't know specifically about United Airlines.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 11:23 pm
malksters wrote:
A 15 year old can accompany a younger child on many airlines and you can book it online. My kids have done it many times on Spirit, jetblue, Alaskan and Southwest. I don't know specifically about United Airlines.

thank you, when I tried to book spirit online and entered their birthdays it didn't allow it ?

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:04 am
Wonder when these rules started. When I was 14, I flew by myself to Israel. No lying required.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics