Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How much to charge for this?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:40 am
A relative asked me to help her organize her home (severely needs it) for pay. She asked how much I would charge per hour. Whats reasonable? It is a lot of work with many hours needed.

ima22

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:43 am
Is this a chesed or a job?
Can she afford whatever number you will give? Do you need the money?

Ultimately, what number makes it worth it for you so you can do it with a full heart and without resentment. The questions above may help you determine what that number is for you in thus scenario.

Goldengoose

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:46 am
are you a professional or you're "good at organizing"? it makes a difference.

also, yes, it's very hard work. it's fun but physical labor and takes concentration.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:46 am
ima22 wrote:
Is this a chesed or a job?
Can she afford whatever number you will give? Do you need the money?

Ultimately, what number makes it worth it for you so you can do it with a full heart and without resentment. The questions above may help you determine what that number is for you in thus scenario.

Job. I really need money. I don't know if something lile $20/ hr is reasonable or is too much to ask for.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:47 am
Goldengoose wrote:
are you a professional or you're "good at organizing"? it makes a difference.

also, yes, it's very hard work. it's fun but physical labor and takes concentration.

Good at organizing. Have never done this for pay before, but she wants me to do it.

amother
Mint

A colleague with experience in organizing helped me with my closet and charged $35 an hour.

amother
Blush

amother OP wrote:
Job. I really need money. I don't know if something lile $20/ hr is reasonable or is too much to ask for.

Considering that professional organizers charge $100+ an hour, $20 is definitely not too much to ask for. It's actually very little for such hard work.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:48 am
amother Mint wrote:
A colleague with experience in organizing helped me with my closet and charged $35 an hour.

So do you think $20/hr is reasonable 8f I have no professional experience?

amother
Tan

amother OP wrote:

People who do this for a profession charge way more than $20/hr. My friend charges $90/hr and shes the cheapest I ever heard of.
Just saying

Goldengoose

amother OP wrote:

I think it may be too little. you will get burnt out very fast if it's not worth it for you. can she afford it?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:49 am
amother Blush wrote:
Considering that professional organizers charge $100+ an hour, $20 is definitely not too much to ask for. It's actually very little for such hard work.

I guess, but its also a family member and wouldn't be just a couple of hours. It would be at least 10 hours of work imo.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:51 am
Goldengoose wrote:
I think it may be too little. you will get burnt out very fast if it's not worth it for you. can she afford it?

True. I guess I just wanted to hear from others what they might think would be a reasonable amount and then decide what would be reasonable for me.
Eta yes she can afford it

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:51 am
amother OP wrote:
I guess, but its also a family member and wouldn't be just a couple of hours. It would be at least 10 hours of work imo.

$20 an hour 10 hours is just $200. It's very little. It's not worth the work for such a small amount.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:52 am
amother Blush wrote:
$20 an hour 10 hours is just $200. It's very little. It's not worth the work for such a small amount.

Thats true. I guess I need to also think about what would be reasonable for the whole job together and then see how much that would be per hour.

scruffy

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:53 am
I would say to charge at least $40 per hour. Really $50 - 60 would be better but don't know how high you want to go.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:56 am
Please charge more than $20! Except if she’s really poor and dysfunctional and you’re ready to help.
Otherwise I’d charge half of the going price.
40-50 an hour sounds good.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 1:00 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
Please charge more than $20! Except if she’s really poor and dysfunctional and you’re ready to help.
Otherwise I’d charge half of the going price.
40-50 an hour sounds good.

Thank you! This is very helpful.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 1:08 pm
I agree. $20 an hour sounds like way too little.

I am also "good at organizing" and wouldn't do such a job for less than $40 an hr, maybe $50.

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 1:24 pm
Someone I know does this as a job, not a professional, just “good at organizing “ She charges 65$ an hour.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 1:32 pm
I think $35-50 is right
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics