Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Would it bother you at all?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:47 am
My husband has a brother who married a non jew, her name is Hannah. Typical yishivish family, this sibling is no longer frum.

I'm expecting Baruch Hashem and if it's a girl we want to give the name chana, not after anyone just because we like the name and its meaningful to us.
Would it make you uncomfortable at all to name a baby basically the same name as the non Jewish sibling in law? Or would it not even have crossed your mind?
Thoughts please

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:50 am
It's up to you and your feelings on this matter but Chana is a beautiful name and I'd give it regardless.
I do understand being sensitive about a non Jewish sibling in law having a similar sounding name, you have to decide based on ho uncomfortable it makes you.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:52 am
It would not cross my mind

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:57 am
I would have no issues

The name Chana probably means nothing to her as she isn’t Jewish, and though Hannah is the English version, they don’t necessarily sound alike, and are pronounced kind of differently as well. So it’s really two different names

I’d pause before giving a very similar sounding name, like Anna. But Chana/Hannah will most likely not even register to her as similar or connected in any way

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:23 pm
Nope wouldn't bother me. If you like the name go for it!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:24 pm
And if you don't want to name Hannah as the english name (if you want to have an english name) you can choose a different name.

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:29 pm
I would skip. There are thousands of beautiful names. If you are not picking it to specifically name after someone, go with something else.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:31 pm
I would check to see how the in-laws would react to it. If for them they make the connection and have bad feelings with Hannah you don't want an automatic distancing between grandmother and granddaughter.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:21 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
I would skip. There are thousands of beautiful names. If you are not picking it to specifically name after someone, go with something else.

I made up a name as an example...
Would you feel differently if the name was Joe and we would be naming yosef and calling yossi
Or if the name was Rochelle and we would name rochel and calling rachelli

Busybee5

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:28 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:

I agree.
I think it could be a slap in the face for your brother and possibly your sister in law. Chose from the other hundreds of gorgeous Hebrew/Jewish names out there.

Last edited by Busybee5 on Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I made up a name as an example...
Would you feel differently if the name was Joe and we would be naming yosef and calling yossi
Or if the name was Rochelle and we would name rochel and calling rachelli

It's the same thing whether Chana, Rochel, or Yosef
Bshaa Tova!

scintilla

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:31 pm
It wouldn't be an automatic no for me, but I'd probably end up not doing it because it would always make me wonder if people were making the connection in their heads. And what if something happens and Hannah is no longer in the family and it's acrimonious - would just leave a bad taste in my mouth. But, I am a huge overthinker!!

I don't think there's anything actually wrong with it though. If it doesn't bother you personally, or if you love the name enough to overlook it, I think it's totally fine.

amother
OP

I'm going to be extremely disappointed to not name a name we both love and always had in mind because of this non frum sibling...

amother
Saddlebrown

No problem at all. Give whatever name you'd like.

scintilla

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm going to be extremely disappointed to not name a name we both love and always had in mind because of this non frum sibling...

If that's how you feel I would definitely give the name!

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

So give it! There really doesn't need to be a connection to her

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:34 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
I agree.
I think it could be a slap in the face for your brother and possibly your sister in law. Chose from the other hundreds of gorgeous Hebrew/Jewish names out there.

Why?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:35 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
I agree.

Why?????

hodeez

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:36 pm
So many other names out there why davka use a name that's already in the family?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:36 pm
I would do it. For sure. Wouldn’t have any issue with it. Wouldn’t think at all about it if someone else did it.
I’d just assume they like the name. Wouldn’t think there was any connection at all.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names