Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Medicaid vent
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 3:17 pm
So we now qualify for my kids to get medicaid. DH lost job so even though I work full time we meet the criteria.
They are holding up the application because I didn't submit pictures of social security cards. It says nothing on the application that we need them. I provided birth certificates to prove they exist and identity. I gave the numbers- just not actual cards.
What makes this so frustrating besides lack of clarity is that I live in a state that is giving FREE medicaid to everyone who qualifies based off income, WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE CITIZENS OR HAVE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS. I tried explaining that but because we are actually citizens we need to provide it. So I am delayed because we are citizens and I paid into the system. Illegal immigrants get priority?!? Special accommodations?!?

Oh. I have the cards but couldn't upload as the online system was completely down. Exploding anger Finally got through on the phone and was able to get a way to send it in. But that is a delay in getting healthcare for my kids. (Lost insurance as we got it through the employer and we can't afford the cobra).

If we were illegal I would get way more benefits. They couldn't track my income and I would get food stamps and more. And there would be no delay, they speed up the process actually if you are that "poor" (on paper. Who cares what they make under the table). At wits end At wits end

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 3:38 pm
You are 100% right.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 3:42 pm
Welcome to the world of benefits. It's not all unicorns and rainbows, like everyone thinks.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 3:55 pm
You're right. It's a travesty.

mra01385

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 4:33 pm
Yup! This is the way the country is run unfortunately.

amother
Daffodil

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 5:22 pm
My husband lost his job and I applied for Snap. It took them two months processing the application while we lived on water bread eggs and butter. (Not hyperbole!) Shabbos some chicken.

I was so angry because if I was an illegal I would get a debit card for 1500 right away plus all benefits!
NY is the worst.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:46 pm
amother Brass wrote:
Welcome to the world of benefits. It's not all unicorns and rainbows, like everyone thinks.

I said this was a vent. I don't need a snark. And yes, people on benefits live better than we do. So your comment is not relevant. Just to start- there are plenty of families on programs in my shul (they aren't secretive about it) and their kids have new clothes, their toddler has Shabbos shoes, get their sheitel done... and look down that my toddler doesn't. They just don't see how the rest of the world lives. Just to pay medical bills and food I do without. I wear ripped tights and pretend they tore after I left the house. My sons shoes have a hole in them so I ordered the cheapest on Amazon even though they might not last and may be nerdy. If I received the benefits they do I would feel so much better. An upcoming $300 copay for medicine that could be covered under medicaid is scaring me. And that is one copay for 1 medicine for 1 kid. Benefits are fantastic once you have them. I think about what I could do with the $300...

Its the applying that makes no sense. So don't judge and don't snark. I want support.

amother
Ebony

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:48 pm
deleted

groovy1224

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
I said this was a vent. I don't need a snark. And yes, people on benefits live better than we do. So your comment is not relevant. Just to start- there are plenty of families on programs in my shul (they aren't secretive about it) and their kids have new clothes, their toddler has Shabbos shoes, get their sheitel done... and look down that my toddler doesn't. They just don't see how the rest of the world lives. Just to pay medical bills and food I do without. I wear ripped tights and pretend they tore after I left the house. My sons shoes have a hole in them so I ordered the cheapest on Amazon even though they might not last and may be nerdy. If I received the benefits they do I would feel so much better. An upcoming $300 copay for medicine that could be covered under medicaid is scaring me. And that is one copay for 1 medicine for 1 kid. Benefits are fantastic once you have them. I think about what I could do with the $300...

Its the applying that makes no sense. So don't judge and don't snark. I want support.

I don't think this person was trying to be snarky, she was sympathizing that being on benefits can be very very frustrating, and not the 'easy way out' that lots of people think it is.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:11 pm
OP your problems are not going to be solved when you get on programs. I’m on Medicaid and I need to pay out of pocket for some doctors because no one decent accepts it. I get food stamps but it’s only a few hundred a month and I’m still paying so much out of pocket for groceries. I don’t get my shaitel done often at all.

The people you’re talking about are probably getting tzedakah and that’s how they’re doing it. Maybe look into tomchei shabbos etc.

amother
Brass

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:29 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I don't think this person was trying to be snarky, she was sympathizing that being on benefits can be very very frustrating, and not the 'easy way out' that lots of people think it is.

Exactly. It can almost amount to a part time job, depending how crazy they make you, how difficult they decide to be, and how often you have to recertify for each program. It's not just free money.

I've literally spent full hours (not exaggerating, 60+minutes) waiting on hold to speak to the right person at Medicaid. Oh, and that's after calling and being told to call different numbers after waiting on hold on the first number, multiple times.

And yeah, I almost never get my shaitel done and have holes in my tights too.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 11:16 pm
I know it won't solve all my issues. But it would solve enough of them. Because right now I am poor and have no help.
I am venting about the unfairness of the system that citizens are put behind people who never paid into the system and are here illegally. That someone whose husband and herself work themselves to the bone, paid taxes for years, and now need some help.
I know I won't be living a fancy lifestyle with programs but right now I don't have the lifestyle and no programs. It can only get easier if I had a little help.
Easier. Not easy.

amother
Molasses

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 11:19 pm
Yes. This is America now. Where the illegals get everything for free and we people pay for it all and if we want to get anything we have to prove our citizenship, income, proof of address and everything.

But if you came into the country by caravan you get it al for free with a big smile.

Ive been saying this for years. America is over and done with.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 2:57 am
amother Molasses wrote:
Yes. This is America now. Where the illegals get everything for free and we people pay for it all and if we want to get anything we have to prove our citizenship, income, proof of address and everything.

But if you came into the country by caravan you get it al for free with a big smile.

Ive been saying this for years. America is over and done with.

How can I apply as an illegal? Seriously this is nuts. I don't even qualify for many programs but just to get the healthcare would be so so helpful...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:01 pm
Still fighting this uphill battle. I can't seem to get this taken care of.
No one is reviewing my file.
I call and call and call and no one can help. They claim they can't or they ask me for the 10th time for the SS cards I have already submitted (and are not required of the illegals).
I am so exhausted dealing with this!!
I don't know what I can even do except take off work tomorrow and go down in person.
There is no frum agency here that helps with this.
I have done everything but because I actually paid into the system and am legally here they are delaying my application.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:09 pm
If ur husband doesn't have a job why doesn't he deal with it while you work

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:10 pm
Maybe call your congressmans office?

chestnut

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:14 pm
OP, their Medicaid should be retroactive to the day you applied, once it's active

chestnut

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Still fighting this uphill battle. I can't seem to get this taken care of.
No one is reviewing my file.
I call and call and call and no one can help. They claim they can't or they ask me for the 10th time for the SS cards I have already submitted (and are not required of the illegals).
I am so exhausted dealing with this!!
I don't know what I can even do except take off work tomorrow and go down in person.
There is no frum agency here that helps with this.
I have done everything but because I actually paid into the system and am legally here they are delaying my application.

Try googling that office and call the director or the Intake unit supervisor straight.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:25 pm
No advice but I just want tell how bad I feel for you. That is beyond aggravating and infuriating!!!! I hope it’s smoothed out really soon and you only have tons of Hatzlacha financially and otherwise from here on in.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics