Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Soup plate volume
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 4:53 pm
dont know where to post this.

is 5-6 floz normal volume for a soup plate?

its rimmed, and this is the volume filled literally till the rim?

is it normal to fill so much?

soup plates that are bowls dont get filled so much.

its 23 cm diameter but seems so shallow.

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:18 pm
What is a soup plate? It goes under a soup bowl?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:19 pm
amother Quince wrote:
What is a soup plate? It goes under a soup bowl?

a soup bowl.

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:52 pm
I've never measured exactly what volume fits into my soup bowls. I usually get a couple of ladles into the bowl, and possibly another ladle or so to really fill it up to the rim.
Not all soup bowls are created equal and some are deeper than others. Are you trying to fill it up more, or are you trying to get away with less? I think people usually just fill the bowl until it's mostly full, and so in some bowls you will get less soup, and in others more. I really don't think anyone is going and getting out the measuring jugs or cups to check exactly how many oz of soup they've been given.
If you're worried about not having enough soup, you can always offer seconds.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:56 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
I've never measured exactly what volume fits into my soup bowls. I usually get a couple of ladles into the bowl, and possibly another ladle or so to really fill it up to the rim.
Not all soup bowls are created equal and some are deeper than others. Are you trying to fill it up more, or are you trying to get away with less? I think people usually just fill the bowl until it's mostly full, and so in some bowls you will get less soup, and in others more. I really don't think anyone is going and getting out the measuring jugs or cups to check exactly how many oz of soup they've been given.
If you're worried about not having enough soup, you can always offer seconds.

I am asking specifically about soup bowls with a rim.

it just about fits 2 ladles.

its smaller than a corelle square soup bowl.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 7:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am asking specifically about soup bowls with a rim.

it just about fits 2 ladles.

its smaller than a corelle square soup bowl.

It doesn't matter with a rim or without a rim. It depends on the specific style/brand. Two bowls with rims could be very different.

What's the concern here?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:09 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
It doesn't matter with a rim or without a rim. It depends on the specific style/brand. Two bowls with rims could be very different.

What's the concern here?

https://www.bloomingdales.com/.....=3865

want to know if its too small.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:12 pm
I personally don’t like these types of bowls for soup. don’t feel like they hold enough for a decent portion. They also slosh over too easily when carried (since you have to put sooooo little in them if you want to make sure nothing spills). But I really like soup 🙂

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:12 pm
We have something like that. I don't like them and now mostly use them for serving salads. The rims are very flat and the bowl part is very shallow. If you fill it almost to the rim, it becomes very hard to carry or pass, as it easily slops over onto the rim. And you don't get much soup which can be weird to eat because of how shallow it is.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:15 pm
thats what I wanted to know - if its considered small.

thing is, its so much more elegant for shabbos.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:23 pm
I have Wedgwood and though different pattern the same idea. I think they’re perfect. They look beautiful on the table and we don’t find that it doesn’t hold enough. How much soup do you need in a multi course meal anyway? If someone wants more they get more.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:25 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
I have Wedgwood and though different pattern the same idea. I think they’re perfect. They look beautiful on the table and we don’t find that it doesn’t hold enough. How much soup do you need in a multi course meal anyway? If someone wants more they get more.

Even if you can get seconds I think they’re awkward to eat out of because they’re so shallow.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
thats what I wanted to know - if its considered small.

thing is, its so much more elegant for shabbos.

I like practical over elegance. Gotta decide which matters more to you I guess.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:30 pm
amother Begonia wrote:

speaking of wedgewood.

how do you like the quality?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:35 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
We have something like that. I don't like them and now mostly use them for serving salads. The rims are very flat and the bowl part is very shallow. If you fill it almost to the rim, it becomes very hard to carry or pass, as it easily slops over onto the rim. And you don't get much soup which can be weird to eat because of how shallow it is.

This exactly.
My parents have these for pesach but stopped using it because it's such a bad shape.

ittsamother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:37 pm
Also the soup must cool off so much faster cuz it's so shallow and spread out. That alone would drive me nuts. I like my soup hot, not lukewarm.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:38 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
This exactly.
My parents have these for pesach but stopped using it because it's such a bad shape.

which shape do they use now?

what shape would you use for shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:38 pm
are these soup bowls more chassidish/heimish?

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:39 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Even if you can get seconds I think they’re awkward to eat out of because they’re so shallow.

We don’t have an issue with it. BH every week for 13 years

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
are these soup bowls more chassidish/heimish?

What does this even mean?

I’m MO
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen