Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Guests with allergies
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:04 pm
I'm having friends for shabbos and one of them is gluten free and the other is allergic to nuts and eggs. Please help me plan a nice menu for shabbos. I really want it to be somewhat elegant...

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:06 pm
What's your typical menu? I'll help you plan. I cook like this always.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:08 pm
Chicken soup
Dips
Salmon
Chicken or meat, serve with roasted veggies, roasted potatoes, rice.
Dessert can be sorbet or ice cream

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:16 pm
Ask the gf one to bring the challah replacement of her choosing. Be aware of seasonings that contain gluten, like a lot of soy sauces, but you should be able to cook your normal mains, and rice and/or potatoes as sides and veggies.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:18 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Chicken soup
Dips
Salmon
Chicken or meat, serve with roasted veggies, roasted potatoes, rice.
Dessert can be sorbet or ice cream

Yes perfect. Dips without allergens including hummus, eggplant salad, matbucha, garlic confit, olive tapenade, tomato dip.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:23 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
Ask the gf one to bring the challah replacement of her choosing. Be aware of seasonings that contain gluten, like a lot of soy sauces, but you should be able to cook your normal mains, and rice and/or potatoes as sides and veggies.

Just make sure she knows the other guest is egg/nut free, as many gluten free challahs have eggs, but it is definitely not too much to ask if her.

Shoshana Rose

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:27 pm
the one that's egg-free could bring her challah as well.

MySpace

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:31 pm
What type of fish do you generally make. You can get gefilte fish that is GF. Ungars is GF all year round. There are many recipes for salmon/tuna etc that are naturally Gf

Soup dont put in knaidel or soup mix and you're good.

Meat/ chicken many recipes are compatible. Sub gefen corn flake crumbs for breadcrumbs(other brands may have malt which is gluten). if you use soy sauce use 'la choy' brand.

Sides- most kugels are ok. Roasted veg, rice

for cholent sub short grain brown rice instead of barley.

Dessert-fruit works-cooked baked raw... homemade ice creams can generally work if making a pie crust just make a portion in a muffin tin for gf guest without the crust.

ETA didnt realize there was a nut allergy as well. Kugels might not work

Last edited by MySpace on Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:34 pm
Also remember mayonnaise has eggs

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 5:47 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Just make sure she knows the other guest is egg/nut free, as many gluten free challahs have eggs, but it is definitely not too much to ask if her.

Let gf bring just for herself. That stuff is expensive, and not particularly tasty. The rest of you can eat regular egg free challah

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:05 pm
As someone who is gluten free, I would certainly expect to bring my own challah. I wouldn't expect you to go to the expense of making gluten free challah. And tbh, the regular challah is so much better. I really miss it.
The rest of traditional shabbos food is easy enough to keep free of allergies. Fish, soup (leave out any kneidels or lokshen), chicken, potatoes etc.
As others have said, just be careful with what spices or sauces you use as quite a few can contain gluten, soy sauce for instance almost always has gluten.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:06 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
Also remember mayonnaise has eggs

You can use vegan mayo.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:13 pm
For baking:
Bob's red mill egg replacer or look up VEGAN recipes (vegan means no dairy or egg)

puff pastry dough does not have egg (it does have gluten)
if you egg your challah that may be an issue - I agree with asking them to bring thier own challah
I've served pretzilla pretzel rolls (the hamburger ones) for egg free challah to guests (it does contain gluten)

Beware of egg noodles for chicken soup/matzah balls otherwise soup should be fine

salmon - if you put any mayonaisse that has eggs. You can buy hellman's veganaise which tastes the same and works fine or just stick to a more seasoning type recipe (Also stick to gluten free soy sauce). I usually do a recipe that is honey mustard (no gluten or egg or nuts).

For dips - mayonaisse has eggs. I'll make tomato dip (no mayo), roasted garlic, eggplant salad, onion dip with veganaisse.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:16 pm
Most gefilte fish loaves have eggs.

You might do better with a nice salmon. Either sweet and sour, or lemon, parsley, and dill.

joonabug

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:20 pm
challah
dips
salmon
sushi salad
salad
israeli salad
cholent
pargiyot
corned beef/pastrami
rice
roasted potatoes
broccoli
cauliflower

rice krispy treats
ice cream
fruit
desserts are kind of hard gluten and egg free but the rest shouldnt be so hard. if one person cant eat one thing I dont think it is such a big deal

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:23 pm
Is she including sesame in the nut allergy?

If so chummus contains techina...

MySpace

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:25 pm
joonabug wrote:

rice krispy treats
ice cream
fruit
desserts are kind of hard gluten and egg free but the rest shouldnt be so hard. if one person cant eat one thing I dont think it is such a big deal

Most rice crispies contain malt

Taanug is gf and so is millville from Aldi's

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 7:02 pm
amother Feverfew wrote:
Is she including sesame in the nut allergy?

If so chummus contains techina...

Sesame is its own allergy, and someone allergic to sesame would almost definitely specify that. But if anyone wants, you can make hummus without sesame and it will be delicious, just a little different.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:02 pm
Sesame is its own allergy, it's not a nut.

We have all these allergies (including sesame!!) in our family.

You can get coconut aminos as a soy sauce replacement if you need soy sauce for anything.

If you decide to make challah without eggs, Rebbitzen Kanievsky's recipe from the Bais Yaakov cookbook is delicious - we put honey or maple syrup on top instead of eggs - doesn't look the same but tastes delicious!

Kugels are very challenging without eggs, there are ways to do it but I'd avoid if it's a one time thing.

A general rule for cakes without eggs - 3 tbsp of aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas) = 1 egg. The 9x13 cakes from Dinner Done all work with aquafaba - you can make the GF choc chip sticks from there with homemade sorbet for dessert! So many easy recipes for that! Not so elegant but can be plated nicely with a chocolate coconut shell over the sorbet. Coconut is not actually a tree nut medically, but check with your friend because many are allergic to both and the FDA does label it as a tree nut.

Like mentioned above, Hellman's Vegan Mayo is a great egg free mayo sub.

Quinoa salads are a dressier GF option to rice. A favorite in our house is quinoa with roasted veggies, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and honey/maple syrup.

Corn flakes (check that they are GF, I believe the Kellogg's brand is but others contain malt) are a great substitute for bread crumbs if you want to make schnitzel.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:38 pm
amother Mint wrote:
Sesame is its own allergy, it's not a nut.

We have all these allergies (including sesame!!) in our family.

You can get coconut aminos as a soy sauce replacement if you need soy sauce for anything.

If you decide to make challah without eggs, Rebbitzen Kanievsky's recipe from the Bais Yaakov cookbook is delicious - we put honey or maple syrup on top instead of eggs - doesn't look the same but tastes delicious!

Kugels are very challenging without eggs, there are ways to do it but I'd avoid if it's a one time thing.

A general rule for cakes without eggs - 3 tbsp of aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas) = 1 egg. The 9x13 cakes from Dinner Done all work with aquafaba - you can make the GF choc chip sticks from there with homemade sorbet for dessert! So many easy recipes for that! Not so elegant but can be plated nicely with a chocolate coconut shell over the sorbet. Coconut is not actually a tree nut medically, but check with your friend because many are allergic to both and the FDA does label it as a tree nut.

Like mentioned above, Hellman's Vegan Mayo is a great egg free mayo sub.

Quinoa salads are a dressier GF option to rice. A favorite in our house is quinoa with roasted veggies, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and honey/maple syrup.

Corn flakes (check that they are GF, I believe the Kellogg's brand is but others contain malt) are a great substitute for bread crumbs if you want to make schnitzel.

Hatzlacha!

Coconut is very close to the nut family. Very likely he's allergic to coconuts too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics