Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What would your reaction be?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

What would your reaction be?
I’d laugh even though I’d feel bad about the monetary loss  
 49%  [ 58 ]
I wouldn’t find it funny at all  
 47%  [ 55 ]
Other. Please explain  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 117

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:35 pm
When I came home, I told my daughter what happened and she burst out laughing too. She called it "epic". She continued laughing all the way to the mikva, where she tried to help me get it out, to no avail.

So....I don't think OP deserves the flak she is getting here.
I am okay with laughing at myself.
Stuff happens.
I just didn't find it as funny as she found it, which is okay.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:36 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
There's nothing wrong with finding humor in the situation if it happens to you. Laughing at someone else's misfortune, even if it's a minor one, is disgraceful. I suppose you're the sort of person who laughs when people slip on the ice after a storm?

Sorry if you can't see the difference between the two scenarios What

I'm glad I surround myself with people who can show a lighter side to life's inevitable minor mishaps.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:38 pm
amother Violet wrote:
No. I wasnt upset. I'm happy I made her laugh.
I just didn't think it was THAT funny.
Hence she decided to make a poll.

We’re both Hence-ing. And the poll is pretty even.
I guess just like we can’t argue over taste we can’t argue over a taste in humor.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:40 pm
amother Violet wrote:
When I came home, I told my daughter what happened and she burst out laughing too. She called it "epic". She continued laughing all the way to the mikva, where she tried to help me get it out, to no avail.

So....I don't think OP deserves the flak she is getting here.
I am okay with laughing at myself.
Stuff happens.
I just didn't find it as funny as she found it, which is okay.

I asked for opinions so flak is part of it. Especially that they didn’t know it was over text.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:44 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Sorry if you can't see the difference between the two scenarios What

I'm glad I surround myself with people who can show a lighter side to life's inevitable minor mishaps.

Same.
It also makes a difference if you’d laugh just the same if the story would happen to you. I certainly would! Especially picturing the maintenance guy’s reaction when he empties the Mikvah.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Same.
It also makes a difference if you’d laugh just the same if the story would happen to you. I certainly would! Especially picturing the maintenance guy’s reaction when he empties the Mikvah.

That's actually funny.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:57 pm
amother Violet wrote:
That's actually funny.

Hey, violet? Is that you finding it funny? Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:18 pm
amother Violet wrote:
I think you didn't get the point of mentioning the cleanliness.
It's because it was so dark that I couldn't even see where it fell.
If it was clear, maybe I would have half a chance of fishing it out.

Correct

peace2

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:22 pm
I think it depends on how the friend is telling the story. If it's being told in a this is hilarious that I'm such a klutz kind of way, you can laugh cuz she's laughing at herself. If she's upset that she just dropped her new appliance and you're laughing at what a klutz she is, that's not super nice

TCR

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting. I guess she didn’t notice that.

some say that, not sure if all.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:14 pm
I would take my friend's cue. if she was saying it in a funny way, I'd laugh.
If not, I would offer sympathy

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:50 pm

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:08 pm
amother Leaf wrote:

I relate

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:14 pm
Reminds me of my brother. We went to toivel all dishes before my wedding to a keilem mikvah that was in a shul (we got confirmation from the rav that the mikvah was locked and no one will come in at that time) a fork fell in. My brother being the amazing person that he is jumped into the black keilim mikvah and started fishing out stuff. He got the fork out and tons of other stuff that was in there. We still laugh till this day abt it (and his wife keeps on reminding him how there could have been broken glass on the bottom)

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
I relate

I once slipped on a wet floor in a store, BH I was ok even though it was a pretty bad fall. Most people’s reactions when I told them were asking me if they got it on video so they could see… along with a lot of laughs. I didn’t mind… it’s important not to take yourself too seriously!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:27 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
I once slipped on a wet floor in a store, BH I was ok even though it was a pretty bad fall. Most people’s reactions when I told them were asking me if they got it on video so they could see… along with a lot of laughs. I didn’t mind… it’s important not to take yourself too seriously!

There are loads of videos of people falling. It’s only funny if the person really didn’t hurt themselves.
Extra points if they held a plant and the vase shattered.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:33 pm
Depends on which friend it was. Does she have a sense of humor? how financially comfortable is she? Do these things happen all the time and it’s so her? Does she have a ton of stress and this is one more thing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:57 pm
amother Tan wrote:
Depends on which friend it was. Does she have a sense of humor? how financially comfortable is she? Do these things happen all the time and it’s so her? Does she have a ton of stress and this is one more thing?

That’s a lot of questions to answer before laughing, which happens automatically if you find it funny.
I didn’t start making cheshbonos when I read her text. I just instantly laughed when I pictured it sitting on the bottom of the Mikvah.

chestnut

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 12:04 am
amother OP wrote:
That’s a lot of questions to answer before laughing, which happens automatically if you find it funny.
I didn’t start making cheshbonos when I read her text. I just instantly laughed when I pictured it sitting on the bottom of the Mikvah.

If you sent her laughing emojis, I can see her taking it badly if she was stressed over it.
ETA I read all pages now

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 12:22 am
chestnut wrote:
If you sent her laughing emojis, I can see her taking it badly if she was stressed over it

I actually told her I’m laughing and sorry that I’m laughing. But she kept adding details (like she’s wet and stinks from mikva water) which made me laugh even more. She claims she didn’t take it badly and knew I’d laugh. Again, I’d laugh just the same if it would happen to me. I was just curious if I’m an anomaly for finding it funny. I see I’m not. Neither is she for not finding it funny. This poll was kind to both of us. 🤝
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics