Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Traveling with 6 month old- domestic US
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:20 am
I'm planning to travel soon with my baby who will be a few days away from 6 months at the time of the trip.

I'll be going myself, DH can't take off work, for a few days and the flight is about 2 hours.

What do I need to know? Is it realistic to do it as a lap child? Do I get any sort of priority boarding or help even with a basic fare? Like, can I ask for an aisle seat bc of baby even of the ticket doesn't allow choices?

Will they check the stroller? It's not a Doona, so the seat detaches from the frame. But I'm thinking about seeing if I can borrow a Doona for the trip (is that a thing?) since I feel like it would be more convenient.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 11:46 am
Bump

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 11:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm planning to travel soon with my baby who will be a few days away from 6 months at the time of the trip.

I'll be going myself, DH can't take off work, for a few days and the flight is about 2 hours.

What do I need to know? Is it realistic to do it as a lap child? Do I get any sort of priority boarding or help even with a basic fare? Like, can I ask for an aisle seat bc of baby even of the ticket doesn't allow choices?

Will they check the stroller? It's not a Doona, so the seat detaches from the frame. But I'm thinking about seeing if I can borrow a Doona for the trip (is that a thing?) since I feel like it would be more convenient.

I think they allow families with children to board first, but I like to board last so the kids don't get antsy waiting for the plane to take off.
You generally can not ask for a certain seat if the ticket doesn't allow seat choice, but you can try your luck when boarding to see if there are any aisle seats available.
Strollers are generally gate checked, but certain strollers that fold small, can go in the overhead compartment. But they often run out of space & check all strollers.
You can only take a doona/car seat on the plane, if you buy a seat for your baby.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 12:01 pm
If you are traveling yourself I recommend a baby carrier so you have your hands free.

They allow families to board early, usually after wheelchair passengers, but you do not get a choice of seats unless your ticket allows for that.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 12:02 pm
How long long is the flight?

Anything more than 2 hours, definitely use a carrier

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 12:12 pm
a 6 month old should be very doable as a lap child.. I would recommend an aisle seat if you can somehow reserve that - or go to the gate agent and request a switch.

the younger your baby the easier the travel, generally. youll be totally fine!!

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 12:13 pm
amother OP wrote:

I recommend buying a seat for the baby if you can especially if you’re traveling alone… you’re gonna want a place to keep all the paraphalenia in easy reach. It’s also not a bad idea to have her sit in the car seat (it’s safer anyways). I did not regret buying a seat. And had husband with me and still was so helpful to have the extra room and put her in car seat.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:32 pm
Thank you all! I do plan to use a carrier. Any tips on how to get baby to sleep on the plane? Also, I'm not so comfortable yet nursing without a pillow. Any tips on nursing on the go?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:37 pm
Call the airline and ask if they’ll assign you a seat. I’ve usually gotten a yes even with basic economy tickets when they hear I’m traveling with a baby. Worth a call.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all! I do plan to use a carrier. Any tips on how to get baby to sleep on the plane? Also, I'm not so comfortable yet nursing without a pillow. Any tips on nursing on the go?

Don’t feed her until you get on the plane, then nurse her at takeoff and landing so that she’ll swallow and pop her ears. Otherwise she can’t pop her ears herself and could be in pain the whole flight.
I don’t know what to offer you in terms of advice if you’re not comfortable nursing on the go. And yes, pay for an extra seat so you can have her out of your lap. Honestly, Id pay the extra money to get a seat for both of you.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 2:24 pm
amother OP wrote:

My babies love sleeping in the carrier. It’s so cozy for them with their head on our chest

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 2:25 pm
amother OP wrote:

If she takes bottles, give her a bottle on the plane.

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 2:28 pm
amother OP wrote:

Try to nurse in the carrier. I bought nursing tops on Amazon and was able to nurse comfortably.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 11:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

I recently bought this pillow to help me with nursing on the go. You can take it with you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W.....ss_tl

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:43 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
I recently bought this pillow to help me with nursing on the go. You can take it with you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W.....ss_tl

This is actually so pretty!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:46 am
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I ended up buying 2 tickets. My wallet is crying but it's good to know that I am less likely to Wink

Will they let me take the stroller all the way to the gate and check at the plane? I can't imagine carrying the carseat all the way. Baby is 15 lbs as of now. Will probably be more by then!

What kind of documents does baby need? Is a birth certificate enough?

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:46 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I ended up buying 2 tickets. My wallet is crying but it's good to know that I am less likely to Wink

Will they let me take the stroller all the way to the gate and check at the plane? I can't imagine carrying the carseat all the way. Baby is 15 lbs as of now. Will probably be more by then!

Yes take the stroller to the gate and gate check it

No documents needed for baby

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:

The stroller gets gate checked.
Birth certificate for baby. (Though you may not need it, this depends on the particular airport personnel.)

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:14 pm
I've flown with lap kids 1 week old, 1 year old, and just under 2, so none exactly the age of yours. (ETA: not all 3 in one trip!)
Choosing a seat is airline dependent. So is priority boarding (thought I don't understand why someone WANTS to be stuck on the plane longer with their kids, unless the issue is overhead space for carryons). Both are worth asking for, if you want them.
ID: I've never been asked for ID domestically, even though my kids were ages that the exact birthday actually makes a difference) although my understanding is that they CAN ask if they want to.
Strollers: NOT EVERY STROLLER can be gate checked. There are limitations (I think it's a weight limit) and I always hear people say that you can bring it to the gate (even employees at the airport!) but that's not universally true. Could be airline dependent, I don't know.
If you don't want to carry a pillow, you can look for something pillow-like that you need to bring anyway: one of your bags, folded blanket.
2 hours sounds like a relatively short trip-whatever you do, it won't be for long. although of course there's more time getting to/from and waiting in the airport.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:21 pm
I fly often with baby. I always buy a seat and take doona up on plane as a car seat. It’s a life saver. Baby usually sleeps most of flight.
As far as nursing. I like to nurse in airport before flight so baby not fussy . All airports have either a pod or room ( like minute suite) that you can nurse in. Ask any information desk once you’re checked in or looks it up online

Then I nurse baby briefly during take off if she is fussy …
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics