Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Cooking without onion and garlic
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 3:43 pm
We’re having a guest for shabbos who can’t have onions or garlic (including powder). Help! I never realized how much I use those ingredients. Any substitutes? Cholent, chicken soup, potato kugel..

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 4:22 pm
You can just leave it out of those three dishes that you mentioned and it will be fine. Just make sure there's enough salt and pepper.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 4:41 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
You can just leave it out of those three dishes that you mentioned and it will be fine. Just make sure there's enough salt and pepper.

How do I know if there’s enough salt and pepper? Do I add more than usual?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
We’re having a guest for shabbos who can’t have onions or garlic (including powder). Help! I never realized how much I use those ingredients. Any substitutes? Cholent, chicken soup, potato kugel..

Haha you probably had the same guests I had! I figured it out bH but I don’t want to give myself away. I suggest keeping her food separate, like put a little aside and then add the rest of the ingredients

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:10 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Haha you probably had the same guests I had! I figured it out bH but I don’t want to give myself away. I suggest keeping her food separate, like put a little aside and then add the rest of the ingredients

Mine’s a teenage boy so sounds like a diff guest… was hoping to get away with just making my normal food and leaving those ingredients out 😬

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:14 pm
Speaking as the mother of a teenager with food allergies, it would be a big chesed to not make him feel different by having special plates of each dish for him.

sara1232

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:21 pm
amother OP wrote:

I never put in my kugel or soup. For your cholent just skip it, it'll be perfectly fine.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:24 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Speaking as the mother of a teenager with food allergies, it would be a big chesed to not make him feel different by having special plates of each dish for him.

That’s what I was thinking! Don’t want to make a big deal about it at all…

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:32 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don't put onion & garlic in chicken soup & kugel. You can just skip it in the chalont. Maybe put lot's of meat, more than usual.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:02 pm
For the soup you can put a bit of leek.

For a garlic flavor in other foods, some people use garlic infused olive oil.

You can get lots of flavor with other herbs and spices

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:16 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:

Please don't use leek or garlic infused oil without checking. It will most likely not be ok.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

Potato kugel is delicious without onion.

Cholent can be flavored with paprika, brown sugar, salt and pepper and comes out great (give me amounts of what you're putting in/size pot and I'll try to help you figure out measurements).

Chicken soup you can skip it. Add extra carrots and fresh dill with flavor.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:48 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:

People who can't eat onion and garlic, cannot use leek. They also cannot use garlic infused oil.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:50 pm
We were garlic and onion free for a few years.

Even now we prefer no garlic or onion except for in spices.

The food can still be yummy!

Chulent doesn’t need onions. Potato kugel doesn’t need onions. In fact, we prefer without!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Potato kugel is delicious without onion.

Cholent can be flavored with paprika, brown sugar, salt and pepper and comes out great (give me amounts of what you're putting in/size pot and I'll try to help you figure out measurements).

Chicken soup you can skip it. Add extra carrots and fresh dill with flavor.

I’m most worried about the kugel. Here is my recipe. Do you think I should change anything if I’m skipping the onion?

6 Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion
3 eggs
1 heaping tsp salt
1/3 cup oil

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:41 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Please don't use leek or garlic infused oil without checking. It will most likely not be ok.

If it's FODMAP diet for IBS, those should be fine. Worth asking, though probably not worth buying a bottle of garlic infused oil.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:57 pm
I use carrots, celery and herbs When I can’t use those. Chopped finely, browned and it seasons.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 7:17 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m most worried about the kugel. Here is my recipe. Do you think I should change anything if I’m skipping the onion?

6 Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion
3 eggs
1 heaping tsp salt
1/3 cup oil

Do 5 eggs instead of 3 and a dash of pepper

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 7:22 am
amother OP wrote:

6 Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion
3 eggs
1 heaping tsp salt
1/3 cup oil

Just 2 tbsp boiling water and a sprinkle more salt.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 8:17 am
Thanks so much!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics