Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
So nervous
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 1:36 pm
We are not wealthy and I don’t buy a new wig every year. I’m saving up to get a new wig and am so nervous.

The lace tops apparently don’t come with a year warranty???!!

I love the idea of a lightweight lace top but I’m worried the lace will show and I won’t like the look. (I see it looks amazing on some people and awful on others. I’m not so talented with my wigs in general and don’t want to spend $3000+ to look awful.)

I hear you can fold the lace but then it’s the same thing as a skin top, no?

I could get a skin top but I’m not so happy with my current wigs- they’re good enough but not perfect. So why should I spend thousands to not be happy?

Maybe I should get a non lace virgin hair wig like a Michal, I certainly cannot afford a virgin hair lace top wig.

If anyone can give me guidance I’d appreciate it. I’m not sure what to do and sheitel machers who I asked weren’t so helpful. They recommended Rina lace top but I feel like that’s just what they recommend to everyone and don’t know if they understood my needs.

Any advice?

I don’t spend 3k on any other items so I’m really nervous

honey36

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 1:47 pm
Yup, I felt the same way. So annoying.

I pushed off getting a wig for way too long because I didn't like anything. All the options have downsides, and I'm like why am I spending 2000+ on something that has a downside.

I also agree with you, I don't like the lace look on most people. I ended up getting one because I felt like it was my only option. I don't love it (actually I don't even like it) but whatever. I don't think I would like the skin top better. I just hate all wigs honestly. It is what it is.

scintilla

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 1:49 pm
I don't have specific advice because I've never done lace (though I have friends and family who have done lace front and it looks amazing a few years later) but I think what matters the most is to work with a sheitel macher who you really trust and will be honest with you. Then you can trust their work and what they're telling you regardless of which kind of sheitel it is.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 1:49 pm
I’d speak with a few people before buying such a big purchase everyone had their own preference and go to a trustworthy Sheitel macher

peace2

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 2:21 pm
I have a folded lace and it does not look like a silk top at all. I actually like the look better because like you said sometimes lace can look pretty awful if it's showing or curling up. I never do anything to my wig except brush it out and throw it on and I get a ton of compliments on it bh. On a lace top, folded or unfolded, the hair is sewn away from your face so it tends to lay nicer than a silk top where the hair is sewn towards your face.
Definitely find someone you can trust and feel comfortable with!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 2:23 pm
peace2 wrote:
I have a folded lace and it does not look like a silk top at all. I actually like the look better because like you said sometimes lace can look pretty awful if it's showing or curling up. I never do anything to my wig except brush it out and throw it on and I get a ton of compliments on it bh. On a lace top, folded or unfolded, the hair is sewn away from your face so it tends to lay nicer than a silk top where the hair is sewn towards your face.
Definitely find someone you can trust and feel comfortable with!

Thanks. Interesting! Did you get the folded lace for tznius or for looks?

Would you suggest processed lace top for $3200 or virgin hair skin top for $4000?

And how do I find a trusted sheitel macher?

What company is your wig and did you by y chance get it in Lakewood and can recommend a place?

peace2

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 2:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Interesting! Did you get the folded lace for tznius or for looks?

Would you suggest processed lace top for $3200 or virgin hair skin top for $4000?

And how do I find a trusted sheitel macher?

What company is your wig and did you by y chance get it in Lakewood and can recommend a place?

A little bit of both. It's not as flawless as a good lace top but it still looks pretty natural.
I would go for the lace but I have seen some very flat skin tops with good hair look really beautiful if you're willing to spend more. You can also look into something called a ribbon front. It's pretty new and I'm not totally sure how it works but I've seen it as an alternative to lace. It's pretty flat in front.
My wig is a Kiki and came out to around 3000 (around a year ago) after it was folded, lined, colored, etc. I'm very happy with it bh the hair is really nice and it holds up very well between washes
I'm not in Lakewood so I wouldn't know of names there but I'm sure someone on this site can recommend

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:05 pm
Cam someone please explain what is a folded lace? How is that different than lined lace? Does it still look like a lace top wig?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:05 pm
Was yours a Kiki or Kiki x?

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:21 pm
I got an Eva and chloe last year from their lakewood salon, and I have been really happy with it

It looks very natural, lays very flat and is super comfortable. I dont know what the warranty was, youll have to ask. I think maybe 6 months or a year but I dont remember

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:26 pm
What's a good option if you DON'T like the very flat look?

Good Friend

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:41 pm
I’d recommend you check out https://malkywigscollection.com

I bought a beautiful wig from her for $850 4 years ago that I wear daily, it’s still in fine condition, and in general she seems to have nice wigs for much cheaper than the prices being mentioned here.

peace2

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:32 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
Cam someone please explain what is a folded lace? How is that different than lined lace? Does it still look like a lace top wig?

Lace is about how the hair is sewn in. On a lace shaitel, the hair is sewn away from the face. On a skin top, the hair is sewn towards the face. Additionally, lace fronts and lace tops have a customized hairline that matches yours exactly which lends to it looking very natural. In a folded lace, you have the benefit of the hair being sewn in looking more natural but the hairline is basically folded over and sewn down so it's a straight line. But it's still very flat.
Lined has nothing to do with it. Linings tend to make wigs look more natural because you don't see any difference in color underneath of where your skin ends and your hair begins. Mine is folded and lined. I think lining also makes the shaitel a little more durable since lace can be very delicate
IMO folded lace still looks mostly like lace except for the hairline. I think it lays pretty nicely and you don't have any issues of the lace showing or curling up in the front

peace2

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Was yours a Kiki or Kiki x?

Kiki X 23"

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 5:02 pm
Look into ribbon front wigs like Irene soleil

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 5:07 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
Look into ribbon front wigs like Irene soleil

Can you tell me more? Although I do have an irene full wig that’s 3 years old and an irene fall and I might be looking for something new this time

They are very thick and one of them puffs up

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 5:10 pm
I have an Eva and Chloe lace top that is ok, but didn’t hold up great over the years
I also have a BK that is AMAZING. It’s super expensive, I paid $5,000 but they’re going for much more now. Yes lace tops need to be treated gently and every once in a while I bring it to get hair filled in, but it is the most gorgeous and natural looking wig I every owned

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:23 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
I have an Eva and Chloe lace top that is ok, but didn’t hold up great over the years
I also have a BK that is AMAZING. It’s super expensive, I paid $5,000 but they’re going for much more now. Yes lace tops need to be treated gently and every once in a while I bring it to get hair filled in, but it is the most gorgeous and natural looking wig I every owned

Even 5k is not in my budget so this is not for me

amother
Jean

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:23 pm
Can someone post what does a folded lace look like ?

amother
Begonia

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:34 pm
I have a folded lace and love it. The wig is yvery natural and flat, like a regular lace top, but just at the hair line it looks slightly less natural. I gain durability and no fussing with the front, and it’s considered more tzniyus in my area. It doesn’t bother me and is way way better than a skin top. Do not buy a skin top, they really don’t look natural now that lace is so common. Also the lace top is incredibly comfortable.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels