Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Frustration at doing it all.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:32 pm
I’m feeling so sad and frustrated. I teach kindergarten and really truly want to give my all to all my students. But each one has their own needs and challenges that is impossible for me to address.

The kid with adhd like behaviors, the sensitive child, the one with verbal tics, the one with a new baby who needs extra tlc, tge sensory seeker, the rule pusher, and on and on.

My preschool is small and doesn’t have a social worker on staff. My director is great, but most of this falls on me. We’re also not in nyc, so it’s very difficult to have children evaluated and even harder to get therapy.

I’m listening to workshops and classes on helping children and I just don’t see how I can do it- observing each one to see where the issues lie, what are the triggers, what things does the child respond well too and then implement everything especially when he’s struggling.

How do I do this when I’m also trying to run a class, deal with other kids, lead circle time, teach, facilitate activities etc. ?

I’m feeling so down- like I’m pulled in all directions, and failing my students.

Any thoughts?

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:36 pm
Your trying too hard to be a really good teacher. Try less. Try to be a mediocre teacher and you'll lessen your stress level and you'll still be a good teacher because you truly care.
Most teachers don't truly care about each individual child but rather about the class as a whole is it running smoothly and that's it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:44 pm
The class as a whole can’t run smoothly when there are all these individual issues. Unless you just punish, without addressing root causes.

And aren’t parents looking at us to deal with their child, not just a whole class? Are their expectations unrealistic?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:42 pm
Caused burnout for me. Eventually I left the classroom and took on a more director/administrative type of role. I'm much happier now.

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:47 pm
Try to focus on what you can do to help the child in class, and parents will have to figure out how to help the child in the long run. Have the conversations/meetings with them, but at the end of the day, Chinuch is on them. Help the child thrive in your clas, figure out the triggers for class, and take it one step at a time.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:01 am
Do you have an assistant? I think this all sounds very normal, especially at that young age when each child needs so much attention. I think you can set aside a specific time during the day where either you or the assistant can spend individual time with each kid that needs it while the other one is doing more of the collective watching/teaching
And the rest of the day you just need to relax and do what you can for everyone together

yjlyar10

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:59 pm
I teach kindergarten (4 year olds) and would be happy to schmooze..

You sound like a dedicated, conscientious teacher and your students are lucky to have you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics