Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Books with tone/sarcasm for little kids
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:34 am
4pom wrote:
I’d focus on understanding inferencing rather than sarcasm in particular. There are loads of resources for that.

I did that and the child is able to infer most of the time

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:34 am
Odelyah wrote:
I feel like Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day might have sarcasm. Or maybe just grumpiness I don't remember exactly.

Thank you, I think it might be a good one. I have 2 other Alexander books too.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:35 am
anonymrs wrote:
The Clifford books might work. You need to use context clues (pictures) to fully decipher the meaning of the words in the book.

Yes, thank you! I know what you mean. The simple sentences together with the pictures telling a different story is just what I'm looking for.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:36 am
sub wrote:
Try robert munch stephanie’s pony tail

I know this book by heart, but I'm not sure I see the tone making a difference in meaning?

bigsis144

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:37 am
Mo Willems books are great.

Elephant and Piggy can get a little snarky sometimes, or you can feel the parents’ frustration coming through in the Knuffle Bunny books even if they’re not outright airing their annoyance

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:38 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Mo Willems books are great.

Elephant and Piggy can get a little snarky sometimes, or you can feel the parents’ frustration coming through in the Knuffle Bunny books even if they’re not outright airing their annoyance

Yes I was thinking the pigeon books and the elephant and piggy ones. Thanks!

bigsis144

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:42 am
Oh the Pigeon books are very sarcastic! Totally slipped my mind!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:56 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes and no. The book I found said research shows kids pick it up between 4-7. This child is 6 and is struggling but very bright and can be taught.

Intelligence and emotional intelligence are two very different things and they don't develop at the same pace. I'm sorry, but it's not fair to the child to try to understand something that developmentally is not expected yet. Better to spend time teaching the adults to not expect a young child to understand their sarcasm.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:02 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Intelligence and emotional intelligence are two very different things and they don't develop at the same pace. I'm sorry, but it's not fair to the child to try to understand something that developmentally is not expected yet. Better to spend time teaching the adults to not expect a young child to understand their sarcasm.

If a child is asking for clarification and help understanding, why would I not do it? I don't think it's too early. My own kids have asked and I explained.

4pom

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:07 am
amother OP wrote:
I did that and the child is able to infer most of the time

Sounds like you are doing a great job and this child is gifted and ND. Some good suggestions here.
I like the idea of piggy and elephant books since they are age appropriate.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:08 am
amother OP wrote:
If a child is asking for clarification and help understanding, why would I not do it? I don't think it's too early. My own kids have asked and I explained.

Yes, explain, but you can't force understanding. Sounds like you're trying to push them to understand. If they don't understand after you explain it in an age appropriate manner, you need to accept that they might not be able to understand at this age rather than try to continue teaching until they get it.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:17 am
They're old (classic?) but my 5 year old has been enjoying books by Kevin Henkes. He has a lot (prob most famous are Chrysanthemum and Sheila Mae the Brave, and we like the ones with Lilly as the protagonist) and there's definitely some stuff that goes over kids' heads if you don't stop and look at the picture and talk about it. They cover a lot of different emotional issues.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:24 am
amother Black wrote:
They're old (classic?) but my 5 year old has been enjoying books by Kevin Henkes. He has a lot (prob most famous are Chrysanthemum and Sheila Mae the Brave, and we like the ones with Lilly as the protagonist) and there's definitely some stuff that goes over kids' heads if you don't stop and look at the picture and talk about it. They cover a lot of different emotional issues.

I have all those books, will look more closely. Thank you

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:28 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Yes, explain, but you can't force understanding. Sounds like you're trying to push them to understand. If they don't understand after you explain it in an age appropriate manner, you need to accept that they might not be able to understand at this age rather than try to continue teaching until they get it.

Thank you for your input. I see nothing wrong with using age appropriate kids books to explicitly teach kids who are the target audience of the books. I'm not using elementary level books for a little kid.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes and no. The book I found said research shows kids pick it up between 4-7. This child is 6 and is struggling but very bright and can be taught.

So you are saying she's within the normal range of learning this. Let her observe and learn. If she's indeed out of the range maybe the mother can do research on this. Right now her understanding is very age appropriate. There's no need for you to get involved.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:30 am
I wonder if there's any research suggesting that presenting such a young child with examples of sarcasm and labeling them as such helps them understand the concept of sarcasm and how to apply it to other scenarios.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:07 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
So you are saying she's within the normal range of learning this. Let her observe and learn. If she's indeed out of the range maybe the mother can do research on this. Right now her understanding is very age appropriate. There's no need for you to get involved.

Child is within the range of beginning to understand but needs more explicit instruction due to asd

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:07 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
I wonder if there's any research suggesting that presenting such a young child with examples of sarcasm and labeling them as such helps them understand the concept of sarcasm and how to apply it to other scenarios.

Yes there is

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:22 pm
I think Danny and the Dinosaur has some lines that might be good.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:24 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
I think Danny and the Dinosaur has some lines that might be good.

Thank you, will keep in mind
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics