Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Craniosacral therapy
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 11:41 am
This came up in a couple of threads but I want to give it its own. I'm one of the people on those threads with a difficult baby. Mine is 6 months old. Very poor sleep since day 1, separation anxiety more than expected even for this age.

What exactly is craniosacral therapy and how does it work?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 5:13 pm
How does craniosacral therapy work?

On a surface level, the practitioner works with the bones of the skull and the pelvis. This affects, in turn, the deeper layers of membranes and cerebrospinal fluids in the spinal canal, the brain, and the spinal cord itself. Why is this important?

A pulse through the fluids proceeds through the entire craniosacral system, like a tidal wave, from the sutures in the skull to the spinal cord. Cycling about six to ten times a minute, it causes tiny movements measuring no more than one-or two-sixteenths of an inch. “It’s a hydraulic system,” says Dr. Upledger, noting how all the components work together to regulate the pressure of these fluids on the brain. “There has to be an optimal circulation, which depends on constant mobility,” he explains. When the membranes and lubricating liquids lose their freedom to glide freely, we hurt and symptoms start.

It’s easy to imagine how even the slightest impact, lesion or distortion can stretch or strain this delicate system. Any infraction causing nerve endings to alter their perception and signals can negatively affect our entire well-being. Craniosacral therapy helps the body to re-establish an unobstructed wave, which is how symptoms disappear.

There’s also a unique and undeniable spiritual dimension to this practice: “The craniosacral wave isn’t just a physical phenomenon,” says Dr. Milne. “It’s also a field of information and intelligence. In the tiny movements of the system, and in the still points in between, is consciousness.” Dr. Upledger refers to this intelligence as the inner physician, explaining: “The inner wisdom which knows what is wrong, why it’s wrong, and how to correct it. The body tells the therapist what needs to be done.”

Thus, craniosacral work is based on a shamanistic and meditative approach as well as on physiological facts, making it doubly powerful.

What happens during a session?

“There is no need for a client to tell me verbally what’s wrong,” Dr. Upledger says. He prefers to remain open to the body’s own language, although some therapists may want to talk with you first. For the hands-on work to be most effective, you should wear loose, thin clothing. This way, the practitioner can better sense what’s going on in your body. You’ll be asked to lie on your back on a massage table.

By quietly resting the hands on your skull and sacrum, the therapist evaluates your craniosacral rhythms. This in itself can create a shift in energy. Sometimes, the therapist’s hands become aware of places along the column where energy is stuck or heated. She then uses the bones of the sacrum and cranium as “handles” to manipulate the deeper layers of fluid and membranes. No instruments or devices are used.

In sessions lasting 45 – 60 minutes, clients and therapists work closely together. “Ideally,” says Dr. Milne, “the client clears a mental space so something might occur.” The therapist waits and listens. You might feel a quieting down, a sinking in, and a deeper awareness. The whole idea is that the practitioner works with such gentleness and subtleness that the body itself can do the healing and necessary adjustments. “It’s a question of trust,” Dr. Upledger notes. A session can be described as a physically connected meditation, in which hidden information in the craniosacral system reveals itself.

Healing then can occur via the corrective mechanism known as the still point, the spontaneous quiet between waves. Typically, you have one every three to four minutes, and it lasts from five to sixty seconds. It’s a natural pause in the rhythm. Synchronizing and optimizing the waves, still points are like sighs. During sessions, when you’re more sensitive to them, they’re like moments of deep relaxation in which you let go and return to yourself. It’s the moment of insight, when you “get” it.

(Source: https://www.cranialtherapycent.....rapy/)

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 8:51 pm
Just want to encourage you to go ahead with it. I definitely changed my baby’s life. Find someone very recommended

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:23 pm
Who is highly recommended in NY/NJ?

anotherjap

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:29 pm
my daughter's Morah recommended Ken Frey as top.
Address: 30 W 60th St # 1C, New York, NY 10023 Phone: (212) 245-1700
she said insurance might reimburse partially. are you looking for providers under a certain insurance network?

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:30 pm
I know someone excellent in Crown Heights that I've used and am happy with

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:31 pm
Melek Nathan

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:42 pm
A plus center in KJ!! She's amazing.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:44 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
I know someone excellent in Crown Heights that I've used and am happy with

Can you share more information? Thank you.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:14 am
Ken Frey is good but his focus is mostly on the physical and not the emotional or traumas I believe. That was my experience. There are practitioners that specialize for babies but really anyone that’s trained can do it.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:19 am
I have tried a few cranial therapists for my kids. Best experience by far is Dr Michael Sanft from Monsey. It literally looks like magic and the change I've seen in my kids is instant.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:48 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
I have tried a few cranial therapists for my kids. Best experience by far is Dr Michael Sanft from Monsey. It literally looks like magic and the change I've seen in my kids is instant.

Does he have contact or website info?

anotherjap

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 9:50 pm
845-304-3966
found it on a previous thread here.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 9:45 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:

Nice! Would you share what he helped with?

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:25 pm
Also wondering what kind of issues ppl have resolved with this method.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:49 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:

Tried him for 2 kids I didn't see any difference. I did only go once but was told I should be able to see something within two weeks. Dh didn't want me to go back since there was 0 change or improvement.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:29 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
Also wondering what kind of issues ppl have resolved with this method.

Would also like to know

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 7:03 am
I've taken my baby for cst because of tightness in different areas which was affecting numerous things including mood and feeding. Bh I saw improvement after each time. Two different practioners.

Dolly1

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 5:37 am
Wow! I never heard of it!
My dd is turning two now and the nights r still so impossible. I would love to consider this.
My question is: can it do harm too?
Also, any good therapist in Brooklyn who can b recommended?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:44 am
Tried him for 2 kids I didn't see any difference. I did only go once but was told I should be able to see something within two weeks. Dh didn't want me to go back since there was 0 change or improvement.
Similar wasted $$? Saw 0 diff even felt worse I went for CC back pain I think it’s a huge scam
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics