Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Not walking yet

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 3:44 pm
DD is 14 months and she isn't walking yet. She "walks" on her knees and just scoots along like that. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do to encourage her to walk?

Marion

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 3:48 pm
DS#1 didn't walk until he was 17+ months. (By which time I was 6+ months PG again, and desperate for him to walk before the baby arrived.)

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 3:50 pm
I wouldn't be worried yet, unless there are other signs of delay. ask your pediatrician. I have a few friends whose children didn't walk until 18 months, completely normal children B"H. just watch your child.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 4:03 pm
My very lazy son did not crawl until 12 months and he did not start walking until 17/18 months.

When he did start walking he just popped up and starting doing it like he was a pro. He was ready for shoes right away.

Somebody mentioned to me that when they start walking later their smarter so they know to be scared of trying. A 10 month old isn't scared - he just does it. It makes sense.

I would only be nervous he was showing other forms of delay.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 4:33 pm
my son is doing the same scooting ...... I had my son evaluated when he was 14 months bec he couldn't stand by himself yet..... he was cruisising and pulling himself up.... he was not approved for services, they said he just isn't confident enough yet to take those first steps.... he is now 16 months and hasn't improved at all.... the PT gave us some excersizes to do....
1. place baby on lap have a toy resting across from her at arms reach (even closer)...hold baby so she can take a step away from you and towards toy...move chair a little back everyonce and a while so she has to start taking a step instead of just reaching
2. place two chairs with 1 toy on each...place baby between chairs....chairs should be close that baby can reach both. get baby excited about one toy then show her toy on opposite chair...the baby shoul turn and reach for second toy,.....keep separating the chairs so that baby will need to reach and step for toys
3. always walk with baby when their arms are straight out ...as opposed to arms being up which is easier for adults so as not to bend as much...but bad for babie's balance
4. if you have balance beam or stones in backyard you could use also good.
I will try to remember other excersizes the PT told me- but mainly he said make sure the baby is practicing to walk

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 4:38 pm
I am the amother from above....I wanted to add th reason we got him evaluated was bec he has been doing a lot of other developmental milestones later....and on teh advise of a PT who saw him trying to pull himself up .... at that point he kept falling down bec he couldn't hold his body up.....if theses weren't issues I would not have gotten him evaluated so quickly since it is normal for kids to get up and start "running" at 18 months

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
DD is 14 months and she isn't walking yet. She "walks" on her knees and just scoots along like that. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do to encourage her to walk?

AFAIK, that's still well within normal limits. You can try walking with her, or positioning her at furniture to cruise, but there's probably no need. OTOH, if you notice anything that you consider to be out of the ordinary, you should definitely talk to your pediatrician.

shoy18

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 6:43 pm
my son didn't walk until 19 months, we had him evaluated and he qualified. He also scooted and actually didn't even crawl until right before he started walking. However the actual services didn't end up starting right away because they couldn't find a pt who could come at the times I needed and the day the pt was finally set to arrive he started walking. They say that babies who walk late don't have that 2-5 steps a time stage they just get up and walk, and with ds that is exactly what happened he was running around the house 3 days after he started to walk. the pt did come for a few months to strengthen his muscle tone but I didn't really think he needed it but if you cancel services and you god forbid need them for other reasons its very hard to get them, so we stuck to it.

mommy24

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 6:52 pm
shoy that is funny, my mil alays said dh never walked he started running- at 18 monthswe never beklieved her- but I have learned thaqt reaaly is how it works with later walkers.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 9:16 pm
Dd walked by fifteen months.

Does your dc seem low muscled toned at all?

bebe3

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 11:44 pm
My daughter is 14 months and not walking either. She walks holding on and she'll even stand up in the middle of the room and take a few steps, but she refuses to walk with me holding her hands and she refuses to walk more than just a few steps. She's totally working the manipulation thing. She likes me being her taxi eventhough I am almost 6 months pregnant and unable to carry her anymore. She's smart enough now to know that she can get hurt so she is extra cautious, unlike my first who was crawling at 5 months and walking at 11 months. The normal range, I believe is anywhere till 18 months. if they are not walking by 18 months or are showing no signs of cruising or anything thats when they need help. But if shes cruising and just not taking the final plunge of letting go, she'll do it when shes ready. It's like all stages in development when it happens it happens.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 12:10 am
MY twins walked at 16 months, about 2 weeks before their little sister came on the scene. Hashem had mercey on me LOL.

My singleton didn't walk until 15 months. If she's develping noramlly I wouldn't worry. You can always have your ped. take a look and recommend an evaluation if he / she thinks needed.

happymom

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 12:20 am
its normal to start walking any time until 18 or ninteen months

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 3:31 am
I win!
One of my daughters wasn't walking until the ripe old age of 22.5 months. Yes, you read that correctly. Six weeks before her second birthday (and 8 months after her younger brother was born!).
She just stood up and started kicking a ball around in the garden one day.
Today, she is almost 10 and the most sporty kid in my family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics