Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How do you handle wild kids?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:35 pm
Climbing and jumping on the couch, spinning wound in a circle until they make themselves dizzy, etc. When it's too cold or rainy to go outside, and when they aren't interested in a book or quiet game. Living in a small apt doesn't help matters Rolling Eyes

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:35 pm
Considering getting an OT eval 😂that’s how

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:37 pm
Receiving ot already

amother
Starflower

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:39 pm
I have come to accept it... they aren't going to change.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:40 pm
Let them be wild. Take them out even when it’s raining.

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:41 pm
I ignore it & let themselves get worn out till they eventually stop. Acceptance is easier than trying to stop it. Gotta let kids be kids.

ray family

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:42 pm
I wish I knew

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:42 pm
amother Azure wrote:
Considering getting an OT eval 😂that’s how

Why do kids need an OT eval because they're jumping on the couch & acting like kids?

amother
Hunter

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:47 pm
Energy is not wild.

Give them acceptable ways of using their energy indoors. High energy kids can't sit quietly all day with a book or stack of blocks just because it's raining!

I allow my couches to be jumped on. If you don't, consider getting a mini trampoline or Nugget couch or something that they can climb and jump on.

Consider getting a Sit n' Spin or a Bilibo if you find the uncontrolled spinning to be problematic.

Or invest in good quality winter gear, raincoats and boots so they can play outside even when it's cold or raining.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:48 pm
It's so hard, hugs OP! I wish I knew too. I try my best all day.

Good Friend

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:53 pm
I would buy this https://mandmsalesinc.com/prod.....-jump

I’ve heard it highly recommended and really want to buy one myself, I just can’t because it’s not sold in the country where I live and would be really complicated to bring.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:56 pm
I'm nervous about the wildness leading to getting hurt and spend the whole day trying to control it

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm nervous about the wildness leading to getting hurt and spend the whole day trying to control it

If someone will get hurt ch'v, them they'll learn their lesson.
Maybe get small trampoline for the house, my kids love it.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:11 am
Having wild boys can be so stressful. I’ll tell you about 2 activities that might help them release their energy in safe , productive ways.
1. Hold their ankles and have them wheelbarrow walk around the house on their hands.

2. Have them do a handstand against the wall (diagonal is fine too), bearing their weight into their straight arms .

With both activities, count to see how long they can last and have them try to beat their score from the previous time.

These activities can help to calm wild kids and having a parent involved gives them the attention they seek in a positive way.

Good luck!!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:13 am
amother Crystal wrote:
Why do kids need an OT eval because they're jumping on the couch & acting like kids?

I answered the title not the details in the OP. My wild kid runs around and hits everyone and everything as hard as they can. Again and again. I was told it’s possibly sensory-seeking. So I am seeking OT eval.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:17 am
I turn on a kids exercise cd.
My kids were jumping on the couch waiting for dh to come home earlier and it worked very well...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:44 am
OP, get your kids proper outdoor gear. They need to burn off that energy outside.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:42 am
Op I don't live in a small apartment but I do not let my kids wildly destroy the house. Stop wild kids before they even become wild. Have lots of activities on shabbos so they are not bored. When the kids are Wild it could be
1They are overtired from the night before.
2They are hungry
3They just had sugar/food coloring.
4. They need your help switching to calm mode.

For #1 shabbos brings some challenges. This one is important to get right in advance. 2. Is easy to solve. 3 needs shabbos outdoor activities-I don't know about you but my kids find walks boring. This shabbos I put them on boots older ones snow boots because we had so much rain, and they road scooters, my boys play jumprope its not an only girls acttivity, (my kids were laughing the whole family next door boys and girls played chinese jumrope, pogo stick. For preschool age Red light green light and other street games you might have to be involved.

If it's an option for you I send all my boys to shul for part of shachris. Otherwise I have lazy kids jumping on the coach in pajamas until my husband cones home from shul. My boys are usually the ones with more energy. I don't make them sit at the shabbos Sunday too long. They happily get the shlack Jobs of bringing whatever we need to the table clearing the table. I do whatever I could to use their energy up

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:46 am
LifeWays North America
https://lifewaysnorthamerica.org › ...
The Art of Re-Direction, by Faith Collins

renslet

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:56 am
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X....._0598

I bought this. My kids love it and it uses lots of energy, you could hang it just for shabbos or when you need it
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics