Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
I've moved back the kitchen clock with seven minutes

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:12 pm
My dc 5 with pandas / maybe asd though I really don't want to admit / with rigidNess and black and white thinking is obsessed with his going to sleep 730 as his teacher's chart indicates. They don't get individually rewarded just a general class reward once a month but to him there is no way he can miss that. 731#Is the same as 931 it's a no no and an endless meltdown and deep painful crying its past 730. no reasoning explanation helps . We try to help him achieve his goal but he gets very carried away and is struggling to stay focused to his goal throughout. So we parents take the pressure to pressure him cause we'll her not the regular child and no he won't learn his lesson and we his family suffer from his pandas meltdowns so today as I was realizing 729 while my husband was helping him to finish quickly, that he's not going to make it, I sneaked into the kitchen and reset the clock to seven min earlier. Loved the outcome and that has been avoided. Plan as using this as a new tool when necessary. Ridiculous? Well my dc is acting quite ridiculous indeed.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:33 pm
Sounds good to me. For short term at least.

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:38 pm
As a mother of 2 kids with pandas, boy do I relate.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:40 pm
I wonder if this could possibly work long-term? Can you get a broken watch or clock, set it to 7:30, and check it everyday right after he's in bed?

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:41 pm
Not ridiculous at all
Just make sure everyone knows the clock is off and set alarms on your phone if necessary (go to bus, go do pickup etc)

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:42 pm
Not crazy at all, just make sure to set it to the right time before shabbos!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)