Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Native American
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:13 am
I read on this site that there is a problem with dressing up as other cultures.

Do you really think it’s a problem for my kids to wear feathers in their hair and a brown beaded outfit that they sell on Amazon? I’m not trying to offend anyone! It’s a popular costume!

And while we are on the topic— what could my mm be? Simple and store bought food, for the kids to give out to their friends

scruffy

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:13 am
I don't think it's an issue as long as you don't do brownface.

scintilla

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:14 am
I don't like it personally. I think it can be seen as offensive and runs the risk of being a chilul Hashem as it's considered offensive in the wider culture.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:15 am
Just make sure to stay away from liberal areas.

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:
I read on this site that there is a problem with dressing up as other cultures.

Do you really think it’s a problem for my kids to wear feathers in their hair and a brown beaded outfit that they sell on Amazon? I’m not trying to offend anyone! It’s a popular costume!

And while we are on the topic— what could my mm be? Simple and store bought food, for the kids to give out to their friends

I wouldn't, honestly. Plenty of other costume choices out there esp. if you're ordering off Amazon. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's not offensive.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:17 am
So what if you're not trying to offend someone? If you know that it's offensive and you do it anyway, you're showing you don't respect Native Americans.

sushilover

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:18 am
I don't think that it's offensive unless you wear it in a way to mock a culture. The native American culture is cool and it's a compliment that your child wants to celebrate it.

An idea for food: Maybe focus on foods that come from America and were unheard of in the old world before Columbus. Potatoes, chocolate, corn, peanuts...

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:19 am
Personally don’t understand what’s so offensive.

I’d think it’s very cute to see on news dressed as Jews. I once saw a couple dressed up as a frum couple on Halloween it was a good laugh.

On the reverse, it would be cultural appropriation to dress up as Chassidish if you can’t dress up as Native American.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:21 am
It’s totally fine and respectful. Do it

sushilover

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:22 am
amother Pewter wrote:
So what if you're not trying to offend someone? If you know that it's offensive and you do it anyway, you're showing you don't respect Native Americans.

Native Americans aren't the ones who decided it's offensive. Woke leftists did. So wearing it shows you don't respect woke leftists. It has nothing to do with not respecting native Americans.

The same thing with the word Jew. Leftists decided that the word Jew was offensive. Most of us don't agree unless it's said nastily. Someone using the word Jew doesn't offend me at all.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:23 am
amother Pewter wrote:

Nonsense. Dressing up as someone in a respectful way is showing admiration. When you dress up as a celebrity or basketball player are you showing admiration or mockery? It’s ridiculous that woke culture has forced these lies on us. If it’s not a mocking costume then it’s admiration not mockery period.

scruffy

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:23 am
SuperWify wrote:
Personally don’t understand what’s so offensive.

I’d think it’s very cute to see on news dressed as Jews. I once saw a couple dressed up as a frum couple on Halloween it was a good laugh.

On the reverse, it would be cultural appropriation to dress up as Chassidish if you can’t dress up as Native American.

I wouldn't find it offensive if done respectfully.

OTOH, look at this https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

I think the same applies here.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:30 am
scruffy wrote:

Well that obviously wasn’t done respectfully.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:31 am
The headdresses are frequently sacred religious items to them. That’s why it’s an issue. If you absolutely insisted on doing that kind of costume, avoid their religious articles.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:33 am
scruffy wrote:

She’s describing a respectful costume. Not the same thing

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:34 am
amother Oak wrote:
The headdresses are frequently sacred religious items to them. That’s why it’s an issue. If you absolutely insisted on doing that kind of costume, avoid their religious articles.

She described feathers in their hair not the headdress. And about that I heard an interview from a Native American man who explained what each one means to the tribe, also said they don’t find it offensive when the costume is worn. Seems the liberals are more offended than the people they are supposedly protecting.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:36 am
I've seen interviews with Jewish people saying that it's woke to be offended by certain things that most of us would consider blatant antisemitism.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:39 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
She described feathers in their hair not the headdress. And about that I heard an interview from a Native American man who explained what each one means to the tribe, also said they don’t find it offensive when the costume is worn. Seems the liberals are more offended than the people they are supposedly protecting.

We had a Lenape speaker at school who said differently.

scruffy

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:39 am
I'm thinking about this some more.

I'm honestly not sure why it's so offensive unless you consider every "ethnic" costume offensive (like Dutch girl etc), but maybe it's best to avoid due to chillul Hashem. There are so many other costumes available, why not do something else instead.

sushilover

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:42 am
amother Oak wrote:
We had a Lenape speaker at school who said differently.

I spoke to some native Americans in New Mexico who were bemoaning the fact that their livelihood is impacted because people are too scared to buy their authentic clothes and headdresses.

Both sides are biased. The ones I met are trying to sell their product (clothing). The one you met is trying to sell her product (victimization).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics