Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How many times should parents be invited to their kids class
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:11 am
my kid keeps having stuff for the parents. we had one this week, now there's another one next week, I'm not talking about siddur party... just come join us times. wondering if other people actually like going to their kids school 5 plus times a year for one kid!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:12 am
Nope that sounds excessive.

MommyM

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:14 am
My kids' school is usually just chanukah and an end of the year "graduation". 5 times seems like a lot especially if they have a working parent body.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:18 am
MommyM wrote:
My kids' school is usually just chanukah and an end of the year "graduation". 5 times seems like a lot especially if they have a working parent body.

so I think the issue is that most of the parents have at least one spouse working in the school but we don't and my dd told me that she doesn't want me to be the one to come all the time but my husband works, school stuff is my domain....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:20 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Nope that sounds excessive.

thank you!
I said something to someone who works in the school and she said some parents love it. I asked them if they ever took a survery Wink

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:20 am
Is the is a tiny community? Or tiny class?
Most kids in the class have one parent working in the school?

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:25 am
We don’t have 0

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:25 am
Since September we've had a Chanukah performance, a workshop on personal safety with the kids and a professional, and a music class performance, plus the major siddur party. So 3 small events and the siddur party was in the evening so both parents could come.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:27 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Is the is a tiny community? Or tiny class?
Most kids in the class have one parent working in the school?

it is a small community, most might be an exaggeration but definitely a nice amount. school is local to community which also probably make a difference but was just wondering if most people like these kind of things.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:28 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Since September we've had a Chanukah performance, a workshop on personal safety with the kids and a professional, and a music class performance, plus the major siddur party. So 3 small events and the siddur party was in the evening so both parents could come.

and what did you think, did you like that?

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:30 am
Never. My kids in the preschool program have a mommy and me day for channukah that is on a Sunday. Other then that no events for parents. We all work and have big families it would be unfair to most mothers to have to come to school during the day more then once or twice a year.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
and what did you think, did you like that?

Yes, they were fine.
We live in Israel where the kids go to school 6 days a week and most parents don't work on Friday. The 1st 2 events were on Fridays. The music thing was an hour before pickup. I don't work FT so it was fine for me. DH didn't come. I think all the kids managed to have 1 parent there. Some even had both parents.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:42 pm
I think once a year, as a working parent. Anything else shouldn't be during the school day. My kids' school is pretty good about this except parents are invited for birthday celebrations for the younger ones, and that's tough when you have multiple kids with birthdays around the same time.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:01 pm
My children's schools do one event per year group. So one dd will have a performance, one ds will have a chumash siyum, each child has only one event I have to go to in school time.
I think once or twice a year is reasonable for working parents. Most of the parent body in my kids school is working parents, so they should respect that. I remember one childcare where I think I was the only working parent who cared when vacation was, or how early I could drop my child off.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:50 pm
My older kids have science fair, and social studies fair, each a late afternoon a few weeks apart and it really drives me crazy. Plus the 6th grader has theirs one day, and the 4th grader other days. It feels very disrespectful to working parents. I know they appreciate that we pay full tuition plus plus, but we do that bec we both work hard and this is a burden we don’t need. Especially with big kids it should be in evening, or let them present to other grades and don’t invite parents.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 2:05 pm
In my kids preschool in addition to chanuka and end of the year, they had an aleph beis event and a health event (booths with activities).

They understand parents can't always come and assign a teacher to that kid if nobody can come. One year I asked my niece to go and once my parents happened to be in town and my father went. I go when I can, but don't when I can't.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 3:30 pm
Once a year!!!
If you have a few kids in school, that's more than enough! It's cute but way too stressful for working mothers!
Boys school usually schedule for Sunday morning in lakewood!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 3:48 pm
BTW I feel like if you have concerns about this it should definitely be discussed on the administrative level. I'm a teacher in public school and I've always felt pressure to do this kind of thing because the admins love it. They like it when we involve the community and provide ways for kids to show off their learning to an audience because it makes them look good. There are certainly other ways to do this, though-- creating projects that can be shared through tech, inviting classes from other grades to visit, etc. The audience doesn't have to be parents who have to work and already feel tremendous guilt over missing things.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 5:15 pm
I love these things, I like meeting other parents, the teachers, staff, my kids friends, and getting a good feel for how my kid is doing and their every day environment.

wanttobehappy

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 5:20 pm
I would loooove it.. I do have my own businesses so I wouldn’t be asking anyone for time off
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics