Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
When to start?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:31 pm
Iyh we are making a bar mitzvah in a little over a year. Our last bar mitzvah was a covid bar mitzvah, so I don’t really know how things work. The hall and the leining teacher are booked already. When do I need to do everything else?

Video/photographer (if we use one)
Music
Benchers
Bags to throw
Caterer
Clothing shopping
Invitations (I have to send real ones, right? I can’t just do something on canva or one of these free sites?)

Also am I missing anything?

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:49 pm
Mazel Tov !
Re invitations - I hardly get old fashioned by mail invitations for bar mitzvahs anymore. Yhe Vast majority are digital with a built in rsvp system. See what people in your circles are doing and what your DC will be happy with before you spend the time and money on invitations. Of course he will not know now ,as social norms for 12/13 year olds can change drastically by the time he becomes a bar mitzvah.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:21 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Mazel Tov !
Re invitations - I hardly get old fashioned by mail invitations for bar mitzvahs anymore. Yhe Vast majority are digital with a built in rsvp system. See what people in your circles are doing and what your DC will be happy with before you spend the time and money on invitations. Of course he will not know now ,as social norms for 12/13 year olds can change drastically by the time he becomes a bar mitzvah.

I think I have to send real ones, because we have a lot of family who won’t get a digital one. I don’t mind though. I guess I’ll wait to see what others in his class do for the local ones.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:27 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
Iyh we are making a bar mitzvah in a little over a year. Our last bar mitzvah was a covid bar mitzvah, so I don’t really know how things work. The hall and the leining teacher are booked already. When do I need to do everything else?

Video/photographer (if we use one)
Music
Benchers
Bags to throw
Caterer
Clothing shopping
Invitations (I have to send real ones, right? I can’t just do something on canva or one of these free sites?)

Also am I missing anything?

Photographer - 3/4 months before unless you want a specific one then book now
Music - same
Benchers - people don't do anymore but if you want them, 2 months before is plenty time then again, no reason not to order them now. Decide on your color scheme and order. They don't expire Smile
We don't do bags, dunno
Caterer - same as photographer and music
clothing shopping for bar mitzva boy - as close to the bar mitzva as you can. Kids that age grow a ton. I did hat first, about 6 weeks before, shirts/pants about the same time, but suits and shoes we did 3 weeks before.
Rest of family clothes, depends on ages. You can get some stuff on sale at end of summer prices, or shop next Feb/March
Invitations - I made calls starting 2 weeks before, didn't do anything print or digital.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:31 am
You sound nice and organized , good for you!

If you plan on using someone famous/busy for music/singer then it might be best to book now
I've done the bags the week of , literally the last thing on my list.
Clothing shopping depends on the season so I'd tell you the beginning of whichever season you're having the simcha.
I would book photographers/caterers in the summer/beginning on next year. I've also booked a photographer 2 weeks before, I guess depending on which you want and what they're availability is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics