Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Global entry
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:25 am
Does anyone have experience with global entry?
Does Everyone in the family need to apply? Children too? Or can one parent apply and it covers the whole family while traveling together?

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Does anyone have experience with global entry?
Does Everyone in the family need to apply? Children too? Or can one parent apply and it covers the whole family while traveling together?

I have it and so does my husband. You can take kids traveling with you under 12 I believe but you would need to double check. Older than that may need a separate purchase

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:30 am
So both me and my husband need to apply?

That would be worth it asking as my kids would be covered by us (under age 12)

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:53 am
amother Leaf wrote:
I have it and so does my husband. You can take kids traveling with you under 12 I believe but you would need to double check. Older than that may need a separate purchase

There are two separate things here: Global entry and TSA PreCheck

Global entry membership automatically gives you tsa PreCheck, but PreCheck can be purchased on its own I believe

For PreCheck- is the separate line at security where everyone has been pre-screened so there is less stringent requirements, like you don’t need to remove shoes or jackets. Lines are typically shorter, but will depend on time and airport, also the PreCheck lines are only open until certain times.

Children under 12 can go through the line with you if you have it, even if it’s not on their ticket. Children under 17 traveling on the same booking with a parent who has PreCheck will usually be given the PreCheck mark on their ticket automatically, and then they can go through with you as well

Anyone over 12 would need their own membership if traveling alone or on a different booking than you

For Global Entry- is the separate line and streamlined entry at customs when returning to the US. Only global entry members can go through, children would require their own membership no matter what age, they do not get to go through with you if you are a member and they aren’t (you’d have to use a regular line in that case)

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:02 am
Thanks Amother chicory. We haven’t traveled overseas with kids recently so was basing it on the TSA pre check that comes along with global entry.

But yes, you and your husband both need it

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:08 am
Thank you!!

Yikes! That’s gonna be too expensive. If we were frequent t family flyers I guess it would make sense

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:26 am
You have to do it for each kid traveling. Even babies.
Worth it even for one trip imo because waiting in that line for 2 hours is no fun.
Sometimes we got lucky and there was no line but most times there was and not having to wait there after a super long flight with cranky nauseous kids was worth everything to me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:40 am
Bh I have a bunch of kids.. it’ll be close to $1000 for all of us!

Is it skipping the lines only in the US or also in Israel?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:47 am
I distinctly remember landing from an international flight a couple of years ago and there was a couple in front of us with two toddlers. The customs line was 2 hours long!! The parents both had global entry but their kids didn't and the agents refused to let them to the really quick global entry line. I felt really bad for them.
No idea if the rules have changed since then

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:14 am
Anyone applied recently and know about how long the whole process takes?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:14 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
I distinctly remember landing from an international flight a couple of years ago and there was a couple in front of us with two toddlers. The customs line was 2 hours long!! The parents both had global entry but their kids didn't and the agents refused to let them to the really quick global entry line. I felt really bad for them.
No idea if the rules have changed since then

That’s a nightmare

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Anyone applied recently and know about how long the whole process takes?

I had to renew recently (easier process) and it took around 2 months. I think average time for new applicants is somewhere around 4-6 months, but I know a few people who finished in under 2 months within the last year. I wouldnt necessarily expect it though

Also check your credit cards, a lot of them cover the fee as a benefit

Another (free) alternative is to try the MPC app. My DH doesnt have global entry so he uses that and it usually goes much faster than the regular line (not sure if all airports have the seperate line for this though)

And no, global entry is only effective for entry into the US, it does not do anything in Israel

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:35 am
We have global entry and it’s worth every penny!! But we do travel internationally as a family around 3-4 times a year so it’s definitely worth the cost. Everyone in the family needs it, even babies. Sometimes, the agent will let you through if your kids don’t have but they will give you a lot of hassle

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:13 pm
I don’t understand. It’s only for skipping one (potentially very long) line when arriving back in the USA?
But doesn’t it include tsa pre check? What does that include?

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t understand. It’s only for skipping one (potentially very long) line when arriving back in the USA?
But doesn’t it include tsa pre check? What does that include?

Yes, and it includes TSA precheck

Precheck is useful for faster security lines and less hassle of having to remove everything

But it’s still only meant to streamline the departure/arrival process in US airports, it doesn’t do anything anywhere else

For people who travel often, it’s well worth it

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:33 pm
Pre check is also only for within the us?

Speeding thru all of those lines seem worth a whole lot… am I wrong?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:45 pm
Not to derail, but this is the first I’ve heard of this. Basically, you buy your way out of being security checked? How is that safe if anyone with money can purchase it and avoid the patdowns and bag check at security?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Pre check is also only for within the us?

Speeding thru all of those lines seem worth a whole lot… am I wrong?

For a one time thing we did not feel it was worth it. We just got to the airport 3 hours before the flight and it was plenty of time. We weren’t on such a tight schedule that I needed to pay to save an hour. Coming home customs was quick, less than 20 minutes but maybe we got lucky. I’m sure it varies by airport.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:57 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Not to derail, but this is the first I’ve heard of this. Basically, you buy your way out of being security checked? How is that safe if anyone with money can purchase it and avoid the patdowns and bag check at security?

The intention is not to buy your way in, on the contrary, they screen you well and all you done for an interview.
You have to submit a lot of information and it’s checked by department of homeland security.

And yes, I have heard of people being denied .

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:59 pm
DH has global and I do not. When we travel back to US I use mobile passport app and I'm out faster than him sometimes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics