Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Losing weight when you have young kids

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 12:27 pm
Since my wedding, I have always been on BC or pregnant. I get pregnant max 2 months after going off bc. when I am pregnant I obviously can't lose weight, and then I'm on bc and its really hard to lose weight.
When I make a real effort to eat healthy meals and exercise, I lose little by little, or at least maintain my weight. Problem is, with little kids it's really hard to stick seriously to exercise regimen and to your food plan. there's always a kid sick or baby teething or a million other things that our kids keep us busy with, and I don't always have the time to prepare healthy meals or do my exercise that I want. Even with advance planning, with 4 little kids, it's really inevitable.
I am still young (under 35) and my BMI is 33. I really should lose weight!!
How do you all ima's manage to lose weight? any tips appreciated!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 12:33 pm
Meal plan ahead.

Shoudn't take more than a few minutes on MS. Then when you go shopping, throw those things into your cart too. The first step is really to have those ingredients at hand. Whatever it is that works for you E.g. fruit and veg, protiens, healthier cheese such as cottage.

Also, consider making a huge pot of soup and freeze so you can pull out and reheat. It is filling and satisfying.

And lastly, accept that you are in that busy stage of life where you're giving all the time, and doing less for yourself.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 12:43 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Meal plan ahead.

Shoudn't take more than a few minutes on MS. Then when you go shopping, throw those things into your cart too. The first step is really to have those ingredients at hand. Whatever it is that works for you E.g. fruit and veg, protiens, healthier cheese such as cottage.

Also, consider making a huge pot of soup and freeze so you can pull out and reheat. It is filling and satisfying.

And lastly, accept that you are in that busy stage of life where you're giving all the time, and doing less for yourself.

thanks! good ideas and that last line is so validating!

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 12:54 pm
I jot down exactly what I plan to eat the next day including treats.When I get hungry I check my note and eat accordingly
I've successfully lost weight after all my children this way.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 1:30 pm
It's not always a matter of eating better and finding time to exercise. For some people, it's a full time project that requires constantly being on top of what you're eating, how much you're moving, to the point that your life revolves around it. If you're in that situation, it's basically impossible with little kids. I have put it on the back burner until my youngest is in school, and that's it. Until then, I'm doing my best to maintain and not gain. But more effort than that is just not feasible where I am right now.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 1:43 pm
I think that it has to be a family project- same way you wouldn't be able to be successful and happy making shabbos, purim or pesach all alone.
DH and children have to be brought on board- obviously DH more.
I go out early in the AM before kids wake up but DH knows that he is on duty with the baby, same if I go out at night.
If early AM didn't work and late at night won't be an option that day I work out with my kids around after they get home. Either I turn on a workout video or I take them to a large outdoor park and run around the play area.
I can go on and on to give you exact examples but really the idea is that this is something that is important to me and by extention it is something the whole family is involved in.
Nutrition is mostly healthy but it not realistic long term for it to be perfect anyways so don't fret to much. It will end up backfiring anyways. As a happy mom you want to be able to enjoy food time with your kids.
Breakfast is fruit and yogurt, lunch is salad and supper is whatever is cooked for that day. Throwing chicken, veggies and potatoes in a pot is what I do on days that are crazy and I will 100% eat a treat if I want to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise