Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Books instead of therapy
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:01 pm
Shavua tov! Firstly I gonna say , I know that books and therapy are not the same thing. I’m super pro therapy . I had an amazing therapist for 3 years that literally saved my life and marriage . So I know the importance of it and the benefits . Unfortunately the last isssue a brought to her she was very unprofessional and I had to cut her off .
I tried already two new therapist and after telling them the whole story of my life ( that it’s long lol ) I realized they weren’t nearly as good . For now I’m not in the mood of trying a new one .
But I still want to work on my healing and marriage .
I wanted to hear if anyone has recommendation of books that changed your life or that you really like it .

For now I have two on my wish list :
You can heal your life - Louise hay
And
Attached - Amir Levine

Thank you !

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:28 pm
I know this isn't what you asked for so feel free to ignore Wink (hey at least I realize Wink )
but I just started Chana Deutsch's absolutely feminine class- it's a year long course but you might be able to do it just month to month- it's focused on improving your marriage but by extension addresses other things as well. I've been to therapy for a while. felt like the marriage counseling wasn't doing it and so far I'm really enjoying her class and it's cheaper then the the therapy Wink Still keeping my individual therapist but might drop her as well we'll see.

I also really like IFS, don't have a particular book to recommend but just might a therapy style- be it through book, youtube channel that might be helpful for you.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:33 pm
What would you do if you weren’t afraid by Michal Oshman

Marriage Fitness by Mort Fertel

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:35 pm
Louise hay you can listen to her meditations on you tube for free

yitta25

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:35 pm
Loving what is. Byron katie

aweinback

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:58 pm
Not marriage related but-
“Unbroken” by MaryCatherine McDonald is the absolute most amazing book on understanding trauma that I’ve ever read. Besides for the eye opening content, her writing itself is beautiful and engaging. Highly recommend.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:59 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Louise hay you can listen to her meditations on you tube for free

Thank you didn’t know that! Did you read her book?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 11:00 pm
aweinback wrote:
Not marriage related but-
“Unbroken” by MaryCatherine McDonald is the absolute most amazing book on understanding trauma that I’ve ever read. Besides for the eye opening content, her writing itself is beautiful and engaging. Highly recommend.

Thank you ! Yes I’m looking also for healing outside marriage . Never heard of it , gonna look it up , thanks!

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 11:05 pm
The body keeps the score is great for healing trauma

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 11:35 pm
How One of You Can Bring the Two of You Together by Susan Page. Excellent!!!!

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 11:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you didn’t know that! Did you read her book?

No

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 11:44 pm
Self therapy Jay Earely

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:19 am
amother Sienna wrote:
The body keeps the score is great for healing trauma

Came to suggest this as well.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:24 am
Your Awesome Self by Shterna Ginsberg

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:05 am
IMO many many people who think they need therapy, actually need life skills (especially communicatiom skills) and not therapy.

This was me.

Because of a crappyish childhood, I lacked effective communication skills, and it was really the lack of communication skills that REALLY made me suffer as a young adult.

The worst was I was hypersensitive and anxious about anyone potentially being mean to me because I didn't know how to handle it. The various books on Bullying and sibling rivalry by Izzy Kalman helped a ton with that. Most of them you can read for free on his website, or at least 10 years ago that was true.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:35 am
Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed https://amzn.eu/d/cowKJLC

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:45 am
last book keeps being recommended but I feel like it should come with a language warning...

mamabird73

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:52 am
The dance of anger by Harriet Lerner

Coffee beanz

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:55 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
I know this isn't what you asked for so feel free to ignore Wink (hey at least I realize Wink )
but I just started Chana Deutsch's absolutely feminine class- it's a year long course but you might be able to do it just month to month- it's focused on improving your marriage but by extension addresses other things as well. I've been to therapy for a while. felt like the marriage counseling wasn't doing it and so far I'm really enjoying her class and it's cheaper then the the therapy Wink Still keeping my individual therapist but might drop her as well we'll see.

I also really like IFS, don't have a particular book to recommend but just might a therapy style- be it through book, youtube channel that might be helpful for you.

Great ifs book no bad parts by Richard schwartz

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:57 am
didn't read no bad parts but looked at the reviews and there was a comment warning that microdosing hallucinogens were recommended. just a heads up but yeah thinking about reading it, just haven't yet.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room