Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Washing toys…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:15 am
What toys do you wash in the wash machine / dishwasher? Want to get as many as I can done easily.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:58 am
None. I dont have a dishwasher, and I wouldn't risk breaking my washing machine.

I dump into a deep sink, plug up the drain, fill with soap and water, swish around, let out water, and rinse. Then I spread it on a bed to dry.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:26 pm
amother Stone wrote:
None. I dont have a dishwasher, and I wouldn't risk breaking my washing machine.

I dump into a deep sink, plug up the drain, fill with soap and water, swish around, let out water, and rinse. Then I spread it on a bed to dry.

Wasn’t my question. I know about this method and will do it for some of my toys.
My mother has been doing the wash machine method for years and it never broke.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:28 pm
The same. Everything goes in the bathtub with warm water and a generous squeeze of dishwashing liquid. That's all you need, maybe an old toothbrush or nail brush for spots of stubborn glop.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:33 pm
I used to wash all the toys and I stopped after doing it a few years .

I wash two or three main toys, like duplo Lego , toy food and dishes/utensils, magna tiles etc. I close up my playroom closet and sell it for Pesach just incase it has chometz.

I also used to buy Pesach toys and games. Every year I added a toy or game to the collection and stored it with my Pesach stuff . It’s exciting and different , and no headache of cleaning toys .

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
What toys do you wash in the wash machine / dishwasher? Want to get as many as I can done easily.

You can wash small pieces in the washing machine.
Legos, menchies, plastic dishes, etc. in mesh bags (do not put magnatiles, which will fill with water and won't drain/will mold). Place 2 towels in the washing machine to protect the machine (and your ears from banging plastic) and two net bags at a time that have toys in them. You can do the gentle cycle to try to save your machine.
Large toys without electric, wash them in the bathtub.
For soft dolls and stuffed animals, do them separately in netbag in washing machine. They come out so clean and smelling so nice.
The rest use a wet cleaning toothbrush and some mild solution of water and dishsoap.
To dry once cleaned, just hang the netbags filled with clean toys on a hanger, and hang that from the shower curtain rod. The water drips into the bathtub. For the big toys that were washed in the bath, lay out a large bath towel on the floor (once children are in bed) and place the toys on the towel to dry overnight. (Sometimes it takes a full day and a half to dry.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics