Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
So overwhelmed shopping for kids yomtov clothing
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:48 pm
Does anyone else dread shopping for clothing for their kids? I really find it overwhelming and it's such an exhausting and time consuming process each season. Anyone have any tips or suggestions or can relate to me at all? It's not just finding the clothing but also the amount of money we have to spend and the return policies in the jewish stores are not great at all either which doesn't make things any easier. I don't even have a lot of kids so I can't even imagine how people do it with a lot of kids. Maybe it's just me....

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:02 pm
it's definitely NOT just you.
this year we've been shopping at a local second hand store in someone's basement but she only takes stuff that are in style now. It doesn't have a huge selection but she tries to have only one family at a time and it makes such a difference. I get overwhelmed when other people are in the store with me, I find it helpful to have someone pick out clothing for us.

Is there any way for you to shop in smaller places during off hours where you can get more attention.
I don't care about matching though, I realize that makes a difference.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:08 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
it's definitely NOT just you.
this year we've been shopping at a local second hand store in someone's basement but she only takes stuff that are in style now. It doesn't have a huge selection but she tries to have only one family at a time and it makes such a difference. I get overwhelmed when other people are in the store with me, I find it helpful to have someone pick out clothing for us.

Is there any way for you to shop in smaller places during off hours where you can get more attention.
I don't care about matching though, I realize that makes a difference.

Do you like in Lakewood by any chance? I wouldn't mind shopping for 2nd hand clothing if they're in very good condition and I'm not so particular about matching my kids because they're not so close in age and it's a boy and a girl.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:22 pm
I don't sorry.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:23 pm
Yes! I don't know the styles, dont have money plus get overwhelmed in crowds. So all together I really really dislike shopping. Hugs and hatzlacha!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:26 pm
I like doing it online on a site like Kidichic, where most things are affordable. The sales especially are amazing. It's easier online where you can sort by price and size and not waste time looking at things that turn out to be too expensive or not in your kids sizes.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:27 pm
I don't sorry but if you dont care about matching can you hold of until after pesach when there might be less inventory but also less crowded

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:29 pm
also, can you maybe order online from places where you can return in person might be easier

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:44 pm
Its hard. I order everything online from the stores that have free returns, which makes it easier. I also try to shop the sales at the end of the season, so I have a few things to start off with.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:48 pm
I buy end of season sales for the following year, and then slowly fill in what were missing starting in January. Like this there is no overwhelm and no huge bills all at once. The only drawback is that there are no returns on sale items, so I buy from brands that I know their sizing, and for kids who aren’t particular like toddlers and boys.
Sensitive purchases like teens shabbos I go with the kid to the store.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:53 pm
Does it HAVE to be that you have to dafka buy everyone new things for YT? Does it have to be before every YT? That would drive me crazy, too. I am so focussed on cleaning (before Pesach) and cooking (before any yt)that clothes are just not in my mind at all. If my children have Shabbos clothes that fit, they do not need something new for every YT.
Are there chats in your community for giving away clothes? Do you have neighbours, friends or cousins who might be giving away clothes? Is that really nebech?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:54 pm
I don't shop before the yomim tovim. I wait until after when there are sales and the stores are empty.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:58 pm
I try to slowly shop throughout the year both jewish stores clearance & cheap stores like primark (they sometimes don't restock & a summer item arriving in January may not be available in March). It makes it much easier both financially & logistically to spread things out.

I also buy shoes as needed & don't wait hours in the store during busy season. I do buy new school shoes for my girls as I feel that's important but it helps that I have mostly boys who wear similar types of shoes all year.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:02 pm
I’m like you but shopping online is a lifesaver. Thankfully most frum stores are online nowadays.
I shop Instacart all the time as well.
Can’t imagine how I would’ve coped 20 years ago.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:04 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Does it HAVE to be that you have to dafka buy everyone new things for YT? Does it have to be before every YT? That would drive me crazy, too. I am so focussed on cleaning (before Pesach) and cooking (before any yt)that clothes are just not in my mind at all. If my children have Shabbos clothes that fit, they do not need something new for every YT.
Are there chats in your community for giving away clothes? Do you have neighbours, friends or cousins who might be giving away clothes? Is that really nebech?

On yom tov, especially pesach & sukkos the kids need more changes thus the need to have sufficient quantities aka new or new for us clothes. It's the end of the season & some things we had at the beginning of the season are no more but for a regular week we get by. For 2 days followed by shabbos chol hamoed there really is a need for more changes especially for younger kids.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:08 pm
Everyone grew from the last YT 6 months ago?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:10 pm
[quote="amother Bottlebrush"]Its hard. I order everything online from the stores that have free returns, which makes it easier. I also try to shop the sales at the end of the season, so I have a few things to start off with.[/quote

Which stores have free returns?

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:20 pm
amother Indigo wrote:

The last YT was sukkos and we bought velours and thick knits. That won’t fly on Pesach in April. But also yeah everyone grew a size.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:27 pm
Tips:
1) (this only works for kids with good body shapes that are easy to fit) Order online! Hm, nordstrom, Zara has cheaper- & its easier. There were threads with Jewish looking options. Or look on a Jewish site to get a feel of style & look for similar. Or, if you don't mind spending & paying return fees, order from Jewish stores online.

2) Bring your child late to school or pick up by lunch & go shopping. This week or next. The store will be emptier, the sales ppl can help you & you can try. I used pto at work for this.

3) Don't be afraid to buy things that need alterations. Even for young kids. Especially if it was a cheaper item. Hemming & taking in can make things look great.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:36 pm
amother Indigo wrote:

Thinks comes across as judgemental.
Yes. Little children grow fast. Clothes get faded and misshapen, and generally have wear and tear. They've been worn for 6 months. 6 months ago we shopped for fall and winter. Now it's spring and summer. It's yuntif. There's reason to look nice. It's ok for kids, who have likely been wearing uniform all week and the same 2 shabbos dresses alternated for shabbos, to have new clothes to wear over yuntif and chol hamoed (which includes shabbos this year).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics