Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Safety during the Solar Eclipse
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:41 pm
Hi, does anyone know what the safety guidelines are for the solar eclipse when you are not in the path of totality?

basically, will people have the ability to look at the sun not realizing they are hurting their eyes.

I know better than to look but my young children may not know and if I cant guarantee safety, I will keep them home from school.

newinbp

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:47 pm
When is this supposed to take place?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:49 pm
April 8th in North America

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:51 pm
You can get them the glasses to wear https://www.popularmechanics.c.....sses/

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:53 pm
They’ll be in the school building so what’s the issue

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:54 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
You can get them the glasses to wear https://www.popularmechanics.c.....sses/

I cant trust that my toddler will wear safety glasses while playing on the school playground. I think they only way I can send to school that day is if window shades are closed and no outdoor play during the hours of the eclipse

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:55 pm
giftedmom wrote:
They’ll be in the school building so what’s the issue

they always have outdoor recess. dismissal is during the eclipse. I am not sure all classrooms have window shades.

kids are dumb and may take a dare to look at it. it can cause blindness.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 10:17 pm
This seems like a level of paranoia that is unimaginable to me. Do you have anxiety at baseline?

Eclipse not withstanding, Why would you think your kid would stare directly at the Sun?

Eta: this seems like a concern to address with school administration, to ask what, if any, changes will be made to their schedule on that day. Then you can decide if you’ll keep him home or not

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 10:18 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
This seems like a level of paranoia that is unimaginable to me. Do you have anxiety at baseline?

Eclipse not withstanding, Why would you think your kid would stare directly at the Sun?

They usually don’t but they may notice that it’s strange that it appears darker and look at the sky to figure out why

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 10:19 pm
We all had those disposable glasses last time.

scintilla

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 10:27 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
They usually don’t but they may notice that it’s strange that it appears darker and look at the sky to figure out why

It won't appear darker than regular, there is no visible difference in the sun a partial eclipse, without glasses. It will just seem like a cloudy day at most.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 10:36 pm
scintilla wrote:
It won't appear darker than regular, there is no visible difference in the sun a partial eclipse, without glasses. It will just seem like a cloudy day at most.

You are incorrect. At 90% totality in NY, the sky will get visibly darker.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 10:56 pm
I remember last time it looked very strange and we were all trying to stare without staring.

seems like a big risk for a young child who doesnt know better.

its one day. why would I risk my childs eyesight over a a 2 hour inconvenience of picking up early in case the school doesnt take any safety measures.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:04 pm
I agree with you op
Better safe than sorry

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
I remember last time it looked very strange and we were all trying to stare without staring.

seems like a big risk for a young child who doesnt know better.

its one day. why would I risk my childs eyesight over a a 2 hour inconvenience of picking up early in case the school doesnt take any safety measures.

No one is here is trying to convince you otherwise. Keep him home

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:43 pm
The eclipse is only a few minutes long. If you are really concerned, then maybe pick your children up early that day and keep them inside for the duration, but there's no need for them to miss a whole day of school because of it. It's definitely worth an email or phone call to the school to ask how they plan to deal with it before you make any decisions.

Personally, I've already bought eclipse glasses for my family because I think it's a really cool experience for everyone. We're not chasing totality like some people I know who are traveling to be in the eclipse path, but it should be interesting to watch even from the NYC area. I missed the last eclipse in NY because I was really sick at the time, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:56 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:

Eta: this seems like a concern to address with school administration, to ask what, if any, changes will be made to their schedule on that day. Then you can decide if you’ll keep him home or not

Not OP, but this is NOT paranoia. My city is very close to the epicenter (not sure what to call it).
Schools are changing dismissal times to earlier so that they won't be responsible for children during that critical exposure time.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 3:06 am
I don't live in NY or any place that hits a total eclipse. We are getting a partial but it looks to be less than half.

How dark will it get?

scintilla

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 3:07 am
amother Calendula wrote:
You are incorrect. At 90% totality in NY, the sky will get visibly darker.

NYC will be 90%? I stand corrected. Generally up to about 85% (from a quick Google) will be not a big difference visually, without glasses.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 3:12 am
Looked on Amazon for the glasses and how do I know which to get? How can one tell if they are real?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics