Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
My son keeps his sweatshirt on all day because

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:05 am
He’s afraid his skin will show if he lifts his arms up high/ like when playing basketball.
He’s 10. He’s thin so it’s not a weight issue.
I bought him larger size shirts but he says they make him look very shlumpy. The shirts that are getting small, he doesn’t wear anymore. He’s become a little ocd that his stomach will show. I just bought him a few new tops but he took his sweatshirt to school and wears it zipped up all day!!
I tried to buy him new pants because he’s starting to outgrow what he’s wearing but he either complained that they felt too tight or that they were too baggy.
He has a fit about his clothing every morning and goes to school angry.
I’m at a loss.
I don’t know what to buy anymore. I don’t know how to deal with him. He used to be very easy going. Now he’s very difficult when it comes to his clothes but I don’t know what the solution is.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:09 am
10 is a hard age - they are no longer little but not quite yet big, and often are uncomfortable with their bodies. I suggest taking him to a store to try on pants and shirts that he likes and letting him pick.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:11 am
Would he wear an undershirt tucked in?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:15 am
My son started buttoning his top button because he’s afraid some skin will show. What skin, I have no idea. 🤷🏻‍♀️ he’s a preteen, so it’s not like he’s growing chest hair yet.

Kids are weird LOL

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:43 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Would he wear an undershirt tucked in?

I told him to tuck in his entire shirt if he’s afraid his skin will show! Yes, I suggested tucking in his undershirt but he still wears his sweatshirt. He won’t even open the zipper until he gets home at 5:30!

It’s been going on for around 2 months. I’m afraid he’ll continue with this strange behavior in the summer!

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:47 am
Why doesn’t he want his skin to show?
What does he think will happen if some skin shows?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:47 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
10 is a hard age - they are no longer little but not quite yet big, and often are uncomfortable with their bodies. I suggest taking him to a store to try on pants and shirts that he likes and letting him pick.

Where should I go?
I showed him options on old navy, children’s place, totini, kiddichic, amazon. He told me that he didn’t like most options so we ordered very few things. Today he’s wearing a new shirt but he left crying that if he lifts his arms high his skin still shows.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:49 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
Why doesn’t he want his skin to show?
What does he think will happen if some skin shows?

Apparently he’s embarrassed for this to happen.
I explained to him that everyone is wearing the same kind of shirts and no one pays attention if it lifts up a drop when they play.
But it doesn’t matter what I say.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:58 am
Could there be another reason? My niece started wearing her coat the whole day in school. Says shes cold but my sil is sure she's using it as a security blanket. No way she's actually cold all day

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Where should I go?
I showed him options on old navy, children’s place, totini, kiddichic, amazon. He told me that he didn’t like most options so we ordered very few things. Today he’s wearing a new shirt but he left crying that if he lifts his arms high his skin still shows.

Where are you located and what kind of shirts is he wearing - polo, button down? Maybe some imamothers can make suggestions of where to shop in person. My boys are older so it's been a few years, but one of mine was very particular like your son at that age and after a frustrating long time of ordering online, him not liking the way anything fit and me being upset about the extra time it took to return and wasted $$, we solved it by shopping at an actual store. Once he was the one deciding he liked the way it fit, the arguments were over. Especially with pants, which needed just the perfect amount of tightness to not look shlumpy, but not too tight to be uncomfortable.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:19 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
Where are you located and what kind of shirts is he wearing - polo, button down? Maybe some imamothers can make suggestions of where to shop in person. My boys are older so it's been a few years, but one of mine was very particular like your son at that age and after a frustrating long time of ordering online, him not liking the way anything fit and me being upset about the extra time it took to return and wasted $$, we solved it by shopping at an actual store. Once he was the one deciding he liked the way it fit, the arguments were over. Especially with pants, which needed just the perfect amount of tightness to not look shlumpy, but not too tight to be uncomfortable.

He only wants to wear solid color polos. I’m fine with that. We’re still in long sleeves for another 6-8 weeks here (probably).
I live in Lakewood.
And he hates shopping in stores with a passion. I suggested that many times. If someone can recommend a store maybe I’ll take him out of school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics