Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
If you have young children do you fast?
1  2  3  Next

Do you fast?
Yes- asked a rav  
 11%  [ 16 ]
Yes- didn’t ask a rav  
 21%  [ 31 ]
No- asked a rav  
 14%  [ 21 ]
No- didn’t ask a rav  
 51%  [ 73 ]
Total Votes : 141

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:25 am
I know so many people who say they don’t fast minor fasts because they have young children.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:28 am
amother OP wrote:
I know so many people who say they don’t fast minor fasts because they have young children.

How do you define young? Like 3 and under? Or any school age child?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:29 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
How do you define young? Like 3 and under? Or any school age child?

Under 10

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:30 am
amother OP wrote:

I don't fast any minor fasts, regardless if I have young children or not. Our shitta is that women only fast yom kippur & tisha ba'av.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:31 am
3 kids under 10. I fast unless I'm within 6 months after birth (I don't nurse my babies).
My job is flexible so I can usually skip work on a fast day. If I absolutely must go to work then I probably wouldn't be able to fast

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:31 am
Never heard of this honestly. Everyone I know fasts unless they’re pregnant, breastfeeding, not feeling well, or a bad faster. Or chasidish.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:32 am
I have two and the oldest is 2 and half. since I stopped nursing ive been advised by my rav (aka my grandfather) to try to make it to chatzos.

I am a decent faster on my own except I am the definition of HANGRY - I get irritable and snappy and grumpy. I will probably not push myself past that this taanis because I need to be a mother to my precious children who dont deserve a hungry weak obnoxious mommy.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:33 am
My kids are 3-13 and unless pregnant or nursing I fast. OOT Yeshivish.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:34 am
I voted Yes, asked a rav. My rav holds that, barring any illness or medical issues, women are required to fast minor fasts, unless pregnant or nursing. He holds the nursing exemption ends when baby turns two years old, even if the mother is nursing for longer.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:35 am
I don't fast when I have a child under 2. I am not a great faster and need to work and take care of my kids.

Ema of 5

amother OP wrote:

I only fast Yom kippur (with shiurim), and as long as I can on Tisha b’av.
Edit: forgot to add: I don’t fast for medical reasons, not because I have little kids.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

mizle10

I try till chatzos, sometimes make it till the end before a caffeine headache kicks in...

Taanis esther is a nidcha though, so for sure more lenient.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:36 am
I don't fast any minor fasts, but it's because I don't fast well, not because of my children. I did ask my Rav.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:39 am
Neither my husband nor I are good fasters. But my husband has to go to shul, work and it's stricter for men so unless it's Tisha bav or yom Kippur I don't fast. Someone has to take care of the kids, make the meals, clean the house, etc. And it's not going to be my husband when he is fasting. I fasted every single fast before I got married, I'll get there again...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:42 am
I fast unless pregnant or nursing, yes I have little kids BH.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:28 am
This makes me so jealous! I'm a horrible faster, fasting feels to me like having the flu in terms of weakness, strong headaches and ice cold hands and feet. I have children under 10 and I have to go to work on Thursday on top of that. Our rav holds women have to fast if not pregnant or nursing.
Sometimes I wonder if the fast counts as a mitzvah at all, as so many get a heter or have a custom to opt out.

On the other hand, maybe serves me right that I have to fast. We hold relatively lenient, MO type, on tzniut. So being doomed to be machmir in other areas maybe evens it out. Kind of, having to fast is the price for open sandals in the summer, who knows? Just musing.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:29 am
My Rav's standard policy (as told to someone else I know) is that mothers with small children do not need to fast except YK and TB. I never asked specifically for myself but do rely on his policy.

I am pretty much always pregnant or nursing also...

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:30 am
I feel like this poll should also ask if you are chassidish and wouldn't fast even if you didn't have small children.

care4u

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:31 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
Never heard of this honestly. Everyone I know fasts unless they’re pregnant, breastfeeding, not feeling well, or a bad faster. Or chasidish.

And there was no option- no- it's not my minhag Smile

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:33 am
amother Crimson wrote:
I feel like this poll should also ask if you are chassidish and wouldn't fast even if you didn't have small children.

Chassidish and never fasted, even as a girl.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note