Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
S/O have you called Poison Control
1  2  3  4  Next

Have you ever called Poison Control?
Yes, numerous times  
 14%  [ 28 ]
Yes, once or twice  
 65%  [ 123 ]
No, I call my pediatrician  
 6%  [ 13 ]
Never, BH  
 13%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 189

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:02 pm
See poll above.

Bonus points if you can post what your question was and how the call went.

I’ve called once, when my son (2 yo) took a few baby bites out of my husband’s deodorant stick. I called, the person I spoke with was really kind and patient and said not to worry. BH he was totally fine.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:06 pm
Once when DS took an unknown amount of DH's medicine (it was on the counter and closed. We have no idea how he opened the child-safe bottle). They told us to keep an eye on him and that it was probably fine. (It was.)

Another child drank an unknown quantity of dish soap. Also turned out fine.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:06 pm
Don’t even remember. The person was really nice all the time. I think I called at least once about each kid. No one asked for identifying info.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:07 pm
I called when my son drank make-up remover. They said to give him milk & call 911 because the chemicals can burn his insides. Hatzolah monitored him for a while & bh he was fine.
I also called when I thought my son swallowed a placebo BC pill, they said it's not dangerous.
They were very nice both times & never asked for any personal information.

dena613

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:09 pm
Yes, was totally fine.
A 2yo overdosed on iron or vit D, don't remember which one.

They were helpful and professional

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:13 pm
Once a child ate soap and once charcoal.
Both times he was fine BH

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:15 pm
My oldest got a hold of our gummy vitamins when he was 2 and ate half the jar by the time I saw.
I don't think I have had to call besides that...

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:20 pm
My DD ate Salon Selective’s shampoo because she thought it was a good idea because it smelled like strawberries. She was over 3

It is amazing that she survived to adulthood.

amother
Thistle

Once, when dc bit into a plant. Poison Control was very calm and helpful. Part of the plant was toxic but B"H not the part dc bit into.

BTW I don't care for your choice "my kids are angels." That you never had occasion to call Poison Control has nothing to do with how "good" your children are. Very young children are hard-wired to put everything in their mouths, and it takes time for them to learn that this isn't always a good idea. How was a 12-month-old supposed to know that the leafy green thing on the dining room table wasn't a vegetable?

amother
Olive

I once had to call for a student.

No, I’m not a playgroup morah or anything like that. Middle schoolers are just stupid.

mamabird73

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:23 pm
My youngest once ate a fair amount of Bengay. Poison control was super nice and helpful. (and also pretty shocked that she kept eating it after the first taste 🤣)

Tao

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:28 pm
yes, the entire family was sick, my kid was taking 2 medications and one had double the dosage of the other. I had 2 kids sleeping with me every night and was sick myself, in my sleep-deprived haze gave the wrong dose of the wrong medication (double what was required). I didn't even notice til he said it tasted like the other medication and then I checked the bottle and realized my mistake....he was fine bH

mom12

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:32 pm
Twice for same kid
Once cuz I saw him on the floor laying with a spilled diffuser.
And once cuz he was eating the tiny little bags that usually come with shoes or clothing.

They were super nice and said it’s ok both times. He was bh!

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:39 pm
The one time I called the pediatrician instead of Poison Control, the nurse was really judgy.

My daughter (1.5 yo) drank a lot of Benadryl. I called my doctors office and they first had to ask how in the world she got a hold of it and how I let it happen. And what will I do to make sure it never happens again…
BH she was fine. A little hyper, but not at all drowsy like they said she will be.

(And it was the night before the first day of school. One of my kids has a food allergy, so there was a bottle of Benadryl in a knapsack that my four year old accessed, and decided to share with his baby sister)

I know for next time who to call with these kind of questions…

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Once, when dc bit into a plant. Poison Control was very calm and helpful. Part of the plant was toxic but B"H not the part dc bit into.

BTW I don't care for your choice "my kids are angels." That you never had occasion to call Poison Control has nothing to do with how "good" your children are. Very young children are hard-wired to put everything in their mouths, and it takes time for them to learn that this isn't always a good idea. How was a 12-month-old supposed to know that the leafy green thing on the dining room table wasn't a vegetable?

I hear your point.

Maybe I should change it to “no, I am a helicopter parent and my kid never puts anything in their mouth that isn’t food”

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:41 pm
Another vote for not liking the wording of your poll.
I've never called, not because my kids are angels, but because it happens to be that they aren't the type to be drinking bottles of medicine.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:42 pm
GrowingUp wrote:
I hear your point.

Maybe I should change it to “no, I am a helicopter parent and my kid never puts anything in their mouth that isn’t food”

Judgy much?
I'm not a helicopter parent. My kids eat toys all the time but happens to be never ingestibles. I'm sorry if that makes you feel bad.

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:43 pm
Called once when my then toddler bit into roach poison and once when my older child fed the baby oxiclean and detergent. They were super nice and helpful both times

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:47 pm
I ran to urgent care and they called poison control, so what do I vote? 1 year old smashed a bottle of perfume and drank it. I was so worried about the glass and the cut on his hand I didn’t even think about him drinking it until the doctor brought it up. But they ended up saying the only dangerous ingredient was alcohol, and there was as only very little. They told me don’t be surprised if he acts drunk LOL

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:48 pm
Twice. First time baby was on reflux meds and we both (DH and I) gave him his medicine, so he ended up with a double dose. It was an easy call; they assured us that a double dose is not an overdose, and that was that.
I don't really remember what we called about the 2nd time, but it was something fairly benign just to be safe. Probably timed or dosed medication wrong again. It wasn't anything dramatic like a kid drinking bleach or eating tide pods. What I do remember is that they were extremely weird, as in very accusatory and Gestapo-like. It made us so nervous that here we were calling out of extreme precaution and they were making us feel like negligent, abusive parents.
After that we vowed never to call that number again no matter what. If it was something small we'd call our own doctor and wait for an answer, and if it were something scary G-d forbid (which thankfully never happened) we'd just go to the ER.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics