Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
An outlet that works on my daughter's strength
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:50 am
My 8 year old daughter is complaining she's very bored. Now that the weather is nice her school mates and neighbors are busy playing competive sports. My daughter always gets out the first so she end up sitting on the sidelines the whole time. To make matters worse her slightly older sister is always busy with a million creative outlets year round, and is of the best sports players her age. She gets top marks on test too

My daughter is feeling a little like plain Jane. I want to help her find an interest or talent. She would enjoy food decorating but since she's very chubby, doesn't have the best teeth I'm looking to avoid extra places dor her to get extra sweets. She has alot of those in camp.
She loves to cook I would consider a healthier cooking class but I can't seem to find in my neighborhood (Lakewood )
She claims dancing gymnastics, is not her type she sees herself a bit awkward, taller and cubbier than her peers.
Art isn't either her thing she doesn't have patience to color.
Her strength is she very goal focus, no frill kid, she focuses on what she has to do and does it quickly and efficiently
Looking for ideas to giver her an outlet?

my mama

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:52 am
STEM activities?

Woodworking might seem more geared towards boys but if she's goal oriented it might be fun for her

mommyla

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:55 am
Ice skating? It’s good exercise but not your typical gymnastics or dance, you don’t have to be as coordinated. Or maybe music or voice lessons if she’s into that.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:57 am
Im having a similar issue with my son. Id reccomend stem as well
I got my son into gardening last year
Id reccomend getti g pots, seeds, starter kits and soil( dollar stores have good ones)
And even looking into hydroponics.
Ilyoy can even start with a small 1 pot starter to see if she likes it..
Im looking for other ideas
I also got on sale a while ago a science experiment box for kids
My son did some on his own,they were fun!
Theres a jewish science teacher that made them
Im looking into other outlets as well

gibberish

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:59 am
Swimming? Science clubs?

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:01 am
I don't know what's available in your area (I've heard of the following but it's not available in mine).

Is there sports clubs (like little league or junior football for boys)? That may help her become better at the sport and not feel so down about joining.

You mentioned cake decorating, and not liking her getting extra sweets. I've hears of fruit/veggie presentation. They teach how to cut fruit and vegetables into flowers, shapes, etc. Carving watermelon baskets.

Would she enjoy learning an instrument? Sewing?
My 10 year old recently learned how to crochet and spends hours doing it now. She made doll clothing, hair accessories, a scarf, a skirt for herself, a small blanket.
Crafts is more than coloring--

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:01 am
my mama wrote:
STEM activities?

Woodworking might seem more geared towards boys but if she's goal oriented it might be fun for her

My first thought was woodworking too.

Fruit carving. It's food but healthier and yummy.

She can help you in the kitchen. Learning cooking / baking techniques and knife skills.
Decorating.
Let her build her own large doll house and decorate it.
Hair cutting course? I plan to send my noq 10yo next year (she'll be 11) if a class forms in the area.
My 10 yo also loves sewing and crocheting. She's made scunciis and headbands. it's amazing.
Music lessons. Voice lessons.

Stress it to her that no kids is a plain Jane. Every child has something inside that can be brought out. Some kids are easier to figure it out. Others, it takes more time/effort, and that's OK. Becuase that's your job as her mother to do.

Last edited by Tzutzie on Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:05 am
My kid like that loved farm clubs and farm day camp and horse back riding (dr suss stables)

wanttobehappy

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:23 am
How about a. Bike/ scooter/ roller blades . I teach swimming… it’s a real confidence boost. Photography?

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 11:16 am
Martial arts, an instrument,

Perly1

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 11:22 am
My 10yr old is similar but loves ballet. Also swimming. Singing or drama or taking part in a show is good fun.

Ask in class WhatsApp for what's available in your area.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 11:44 am
amother OP wrote:
My 8 year old daughter is complaining she's very bored. Now that the weather is nice her school mates and neighbors are busy playing competive sports. My daughter always gets out the first so she end up sitting on the sidelines the whole time. To make matters worse her slightly older sister is always busy with a million creative outlets year round, and is of the best sports players her age. She gets top marks on test too

My daughter is feeling a little like plain Jane. I want to help her find an interest or talent. She would enjoy food decorating but since she's very chubby, doesn't have the best teeth I'm looking to avoid extra places dor her to get extra sweets. She has alot of those in camp.
She loves to cook I would consider a healthier cooking class but I can't seem to find in my neighborhood (Lakewood )
She claims dancing gymnastics, is not her type she sees herself a bit awkward, taller and cubbier than her peers.
Art isn't either her thing she doesn't have patience to color.
Her strength is she very goal focus, no frill kid, she focuses on what she has to do and does it quickly and efficiently
Looking for ideas to giver her an outlet?

just want to tell you that my dd does gymnastics. A relative told her she doesn't have a gymnast's body, said relative was kindly told to keep her opinions to herself. My daughter is bigger (and older but even if she wasn't would still be bigger) then the other kids in her class. she still enjoys it and has gotten quite flexible.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 12:21 pm
Playing outside daily would be fantastic for her. See if she can find some friends whose parents don’t emphasize structured activities outside of school. Unstructured play with friends will help her discover her own strengths. She doesn’t need you to find/nurture them for her. There is a certain level of stress that comes with being surrounded by structure. Yes, my kids do extracurricular activities, but they’re based on what my kids choose and I limit them. I encourage outdoor play more. They were lucky enough to have neighborhood friends who were available to join them for a few years.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 12:53 pm
If you want to get her into STEM, these crates are great.

https://www.kiwico.com

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:49 pm
My kids loved kiwi crates. My 9 year old found tinker pretty easy though but it's a good place to start....

Would she be interested in learning an instrument?

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 7:20 pm
Some more ideas: quilling, jewelry making, woodburning, juggling, doing magic tricks.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 7:52 pm
Guitar, piano

kiwi strawberry

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:20 pm
Music. Sewing.

Batyah85

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:35 pm
Yoga

effess

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:34 pm