Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Tips for first time drinking on purim
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:17 am
My 9th grade bochur plans to drink a reviis this purim. I'm ok with that. Smile

He is pretty cautious and a rule follower, but may be offered drinks while collecting and may succumb to peer pressure. Surprised

What safety tips would you give your first time drinker? Confused

I heard not to drink both whiskey and wine.
I also saw a video saying to be consistent with the wine you're drinking and stick to the same bottle throughout the day.

Any other tips?

And what do I do if he ends up throwing up etc?
How do I know if I need to take him to the ER?

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:22 am
Huh????
Why are you ok with this dangerous behavior?
I really think you should talk with someone from Hatzalah to educate yourself in how dangerous this could be
Would you ask your pediatrician if this is ok?
I don’t think so. Because then you know he/she is mandated to report you to CPS.
Please if you value your child’s life tell him absolutely NO!!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:35 am
How old is 9th grade?

A couple of tips that I hear from my husband:
Hes old enough to not get completely drunk anymore and tried to help others...

- make sure he eats together with the drinking. Def not on an empty stomach.

-Drink water to balance it out.

-

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:38 am
Ninth grade is 13-14.

You *shouldn’t* be okay with him drinking.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:43 am
A reviis is 1-2oz. That's perfectly appropriate.
He definitely needs some pointers on resisting peer pressure and general safety.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 4:00 am
My husband met a boy at a wedding who was inebriated.
Drowsy and not even enjoying himself

He was half asleep and had gone out of the wedding to a side room

My husband brought him some challa- starcht foods are good if you have alcohol on you and water and bh he felt much better.

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 5:33 am
At that age, perhaps have some conversations ahead of time about limits. When is too much of a pleasant thing? Why is it important for each person to know their own limits?

Does everyone eat the same amount of food? Get the same amount of sleep? What about exercise?

Make sure he knows there's no mitzvah to get so drunk that there would be danger. A reviis is probably just fine, but after a while, a person under the influence can lose count of what they're drinking.

You can try helping him practice how to say no to peer pressure. And when to call if he sees any friends dangerously drunk.

And please make sure that if they're driving, the driver won't be drinking!

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 6:19 am
There is a great deal of peer pressure and I think trying to restrict completely can seriously backfire. Allowing a small amount of alcohol makes a lot of sense.
He should make sure he keeps well hydrated with water and eats real food. Can he walk around with a wine bottle that is filled with either a completely different non-alcohol drink, or very watered wine? That way if anyone offers him, he can hold up his own wine bottle.

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 6:24 am
Iymnok wrote:
He definitely needs some pointers on resisting peer pressure and general safety.

That was my initial thought but then op mentioned not mixing whiskey and wine. How do you mix alcohol if you're only drinking an oz?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 7:28 am
Making sure to drink a lot of water and eat as well. Alcohol alone on an empty stomach with no water will be much worse.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 7:39 am
amother Crystal wrote:
That was my initial thought but then op mentioned not mixing whiskey and wine. How do you mix alcohol if you're only drinking an oz?

And it should not be an oz of whiskey!

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 9:02 am
Bar Mitzvah boys should do all mitzvah of the Torah. It includes a drink on Purim if they show interest. Throughout history people tried to stop us from doing mitzvahs and we prevailed. Of course as in all mitzvahs it's parents responsibly to teach and guide the young man. We must give facts of the danger. We don't allow a teen into an ocean before he knows how to swim. We fist taje themto a swiming pool and teach the facts, dangers and proper way to do it. So too, we guide the young man on purim we have him try it in our presence rather than behind our backs (like the public school say the try all kinds of dr*gs behind their parents backs). May our children grow up with a love for every aspect of Hashem's beautiful Torah.

Advice: have him try small amounts of it at your own table with adult supervision. (Some end up not liking)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 9:06 am
Thank you for the tips!

To confirm, he plans to drink a reviis.
I am being realistic that for the few hours that he'll be collecting with his friends in people's houses, he may drink a bit more, so I'd rather him be prewarned.

Of course he knows drinking to the point of drunkard is beyond the point.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 9:09 am
A good rule is wine only, and 5% alcohol or less. Absolutely no distilled alcohols under any circumstances.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 9:16 am
sequoia wrote:
Ninth grade is 13-14.

You *shouldn’t* be okay with him drinking.

If you forbid him entirely, he is much more likely to do it anyway, but in secret and in a more dangerous way.
He is being open with his parents. That is amazing for a teenager. He is then much more likely to drink in a safe controlled way.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 9:17 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for the tips!

To confirm, he plans to drink a reviis.
I am being realistic that for the few hours that he'll be collecting with his friends in people's houses, he may drink a bit more, so I'd rather him be prewarned.

Of course he knows drinking to the point of drunkard is beyond the point.

You sound like a great mom with reasonable expectations of a teenage boy.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 10:01 am
Iymnok wrote:

Do you have a source for that amount? I always thought a reviis is the size of a kiddush cup, between 4-5 ounces. Still not too much for a boy that age to have one cup of low-alcohol wine, especially if he's been eating beforehand.

cbsp

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:49 pm
Just got this visa email from Rabbi Yakov Horowitz

No-Questions-Asked Purim Pickup

https://blogs.timesofisrael.co.....ckup/

B'hatzlacha OP!

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:03 pm
amother Pear wrote:
A good rule is wine only, and 5% alcohol or less. Absolutely no distilled alcohols under any circumstances.

But only if he will be drinking a reviis and that it.

Drinking alot of sweet wine (more than one or two cups) will cause him to throw up and feel sick.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:05 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
But only if he will be drinking a reviis and that it.

Drinking alot of sweet wine (more than one or two cups) will cause him to throw up and feel sick.

I meant a reviis, but throwing up after 3 cups is better than getting really drunk.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics